Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Help me out, Why do you train...

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
Ok I know for a lot of guys who compete, it's pretty simple, the young ones who want to be like their idols...

What about the rest of us, who are older, don't compete, why do u keep training your ass off, what drives you. Why do we spend hours a day putting our blood sweat and tears, into working out, and eating right....

The older I get, the more I question. The end game, to this fanatical delusion, I have that some day I'll look this way, or be able to lift this much.... when I still after 20 years of doing this I have still not reached my goal.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
1. I enjoy it

2. My life may very well depend on it

3. I would like to compete someday

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
I think the older you get the MORE important weight training becomes.

I still compete, and I've been lifting most of my life since I was a teen, but even if I didn't compete anymore I would still lift because when I see dudes my age that don't most of them look like shit.

It's a lot easier to have decent functional strength without doing much when you are young.

two_slug

two_slug

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2012
Guilt and Paranoia.

Just kidding. lol Seriously though, it's been such an important part of my life over the last thirty plus yrs, that I wouldn't know what to do if I didn't train. Even if I go on vacation I find somwhere to work out. I've had to stop involuntarily before due to injuries, and was miserable the whole time.

Mr.Niceguy

Mr.Niceguy

Mar 1, 2018
Ok I know for a lot of guys who compete, it's pretty simple, the young ones who want to be like their idols...

What about the rest of us, who are older, don't compete, why do u keep training your ass off, what drives you. Why do we spend hours a day putting our blood sweat and tears, into working out, and eating right....

The older I get, the more I question. The end game, to this fanatical delusion, I have that some day I'll look this way, or be able to lift this much.... when I still after 20 years of doing this I have still not reached my goal.
I may not look like a pro bodybuilder but I believe I can still look like I lift as I get older. I like knowing I can out work or out play someone in sports that’s 10 years younger than me too.

ogre

ogre

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2016
I'm 56 and still do construction/plumbing.Plan on doing it until 67.Then just going to do it part time.I got to at this point to be able to continue doing my job.Also I have found it to be an antidepressant.I feel like shit if I don't do it.I plan on working out until I can't even if its 5 # dumbbells.I do like the fact I look better than lots of younger guy's.When I show up on a job I still look better than 97%.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I was diagnosed with a bone disease as a teen (over 20 years ago) that stripped me of everything... my ability to run, to walk, hell.... even my ability to stand on my own 2 feet. Everything I've accomplished was to prove to those fucking doctors they were wrong. I was told to embrace the fact I'd never walk without the use of an aid. I'd still be crippled, sitting in a wheelchair if I listened to those fat fucks.

C

ceo

VIP Member
Oct 12, 2010
I was diagnosed with a bone disease as a teen (over 20 years ago) that stripped me of everything... my ability to run, to walk, hell.... even my ability to stand on my own 2 feet. Everything I've accomplished was to prove to those fucking doctors they were wrong. I was told to embrace the fact I'd never walk without the use of an aid. I'd still be crippled, sitting in a wheelchair if I listened to those fat fucks.
Mister Glass.

trainlikeaboss

trainlikeaboss

Apr 4, 2013
I'm 32 and didn't start lifting until 2012 so I'm still pretty new to this compared to a lot of people. I REALLY wish I had started much younger but here we are. Did one show it was ok, no solid plans to compete again. But most of the time when I walk into the gym I can forget about everything else and just focus on the task at hand. It's my place of zen, even if that includes listening to metal and getting psyched up. Other than that reason, so far I just can't help it. I actually think it's kind of ridiculous to be obsessed with one's physique considering our short time on earth. But I am so I do it anyway. When I started I had no idea it would turn into this. Now even with all the progress I've made, it's not nearly enough. I don't even like to take days off.

Mr.Niceguy

Mr.Niceguy

Mar 1, 2018
Guilt and Paranoia.

Just kidding. lol Seriously though, it's been such an important part of my life over the last thirty plus yrs, that I wouldn't know what to do if I didn't train. Even if I go on vacation I find somwhere to work out. I've had to stop involuntarily before due to injuries, and was miserable the whole time.
I love going to a resort and finding out they have a decent gym, nothing better than being on vacation and still being able to go lift. Lifting is very therapeutic for me, not just for my body but my mind as well.

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
Mainly vanity and enjoyment. It's also great stress relief and a great way to vent aggression, blow off steam, etc.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
LOL!...I was asking myself same thing yesterday...Well, I got my answer today...

Went to the mall to get a bite to eat...Young chic about a third my age starts hammering me with questions...Says I look good...I knew then I had found my answer!!!!...I almost ask for her number, but brutally remembered the third part...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic