RalfKelleh
What's New?

How much do you save?

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
10% is post tax and the stock I buy is the company I work for, we get a discount to purchase the stock. I have a Fidelity account that I do my own stock buying through and I just throw money randomly into the wind and hope I make something :)

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
I am far more of a saver and investor than a big spender.

I read "The Millionaire Next Door" back in '96 or so when it first came out, and it had a tremendous impact on me.

I max out a SEP IRA each year, and put away as much cash as I can each week into taxable investment accounts and some in a savings account. I'm pretty good at this investment stuff.

I put just enough into my checking account each week to pay the bills and have a little spending money. I use a credit card perhaps 1-2 times a month for small purchases, then pay it off at the end of the month.

Do you invest in real estate? Buying and selling? Or do you own a home and stay there?

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
12% into retirement for me and same for the GF. We both put in 6%, and our job matches it. They will match whatever we put in. I'm going to raise it up some.

Other than that, not much else. I need to figure some more stuff out to prepare myself....ugh....us.

We are both 42, and we have a 5 and 2 year old.

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
Do you invest in real estate? Buying and selling? Or do you own a home and stay there?

Just own a home and a bit of land these days. Bought / sold several progressively nicer and larger residences from my late 20's into my early 40's, then had a home custom built a few years ago.

Dabbled in rental properties many years ago, found it not really to be my thing. I prefer the high liquidity of stocks and other "paper" investments, and I'm not really very patient or tolerant when it comes to dealing with much in the way of maintenance and repairs, delinquent tenants, etc. These things can eat up lots of time, energy, and money. And occupancy rates and quality of tenants are always risks to consider.

With the highly liquid paper investments, I can sell part or all of my investment with the click of a mouse, and I can have my money within a few days or less if I need it. Selling real property takes longer, and it may sometimes take quite a while to find a serious, qualified buyer willing and able to pay a fair price.

Other than my home, I prefer to get real estate exposure through a bit of investing in publicly traded REITs, real estate company stocks, etc. It's possible to get a much greater rate of diversification this way - instead of using all of your real estate investment $ on buying a single $100k rent house, or a $1 mil office or apartment complex or whatever, you can buy shares of many different real estate investments. And you don't have to fix anything or evict anyone, or hire anyone else to do so.

Another advantage of buying things like REITs and real estate company stocks is that you can end up investing bits of your money in other parts of the country (and perhaps the world) just by clicking a mouse and buying shares.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Thanks for the info Jr.

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
No problem.

And if you want to invest some money in real property and are determined to succeed, don't be discouraged if some like me says that I don't personally care much for it. There are many ways to skin a cat.

Just be aware of the possible risks and pitfalls of anything you go into. Many people do very well in real estate. But it is a lot of work and can be costly. And of course nothing we do is guaranteed.

sakaqb46

sakaqb46

Aug 28, 2010
I put in the max 18,500 and then fund a ROTH IRA.

ITAWOLF

ITAWOLF

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2010
lawd u bunch of savers lol

i have my military check
little over 1000 acres
one owner 69 camaro restored
plus i still work fulltime

2 homes ---1 paid for

only living child on mothers side

hhhhmmmmm ill be ok lol