Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

So what are your thoughts on the Steel and aluminum tariffs?

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
To see how all this might work out in the future, we could see how it worked out in the recent past. I'm not real good at all this Intl economic gamesmanship, but those who are can look back to January (2018) when we hit solar panels and washing machines with tariffs. That move was directed at any nations that exported them to us, but it turns out China and South Korea do most of that. Global economics were further complicated by the fact the Chinese and S. Korean companies responsible for this farmed out some of their manufacturing to other nations, sorta like those big "Japanese" cars who have factories right here in the US of A. I wasn't shopping for either product, and I'm not employed by anyone who would be directly affected by this, so I didn't pay much attention at the time.

I DO have memories of generally negative reaction to this earlier dry run at the tariff game, including from USA consumers, but have things had a lasting effect, or did it all blow over?

An overseas washing machine maker cancelled construction of a new USA factory after the tariffs were announced. That took away good paying jobs here in the USA, so yes tariffs do have an lasting effect....

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Here is the real shitter of the whole thing, a steel fabrication company that buys raw material, they say they have received a 5 percent increase from their super. Said fabricator then passes along a 5percent increase on fabricated product to the consumer..... the labor cost to fabricate hasn' changed. So if you'e paying .50lb for raw steel, a 5 percent hike makes it.525lb. So at 5 percent on fabricated product, that nothjing more than gouging imo. And a straight up cash grab.

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
Imagine how well off all of YOU would be, and how much every company would be prospering if not for the theft of taxation. Too bad so many dispute the amount of taxes and what's taxed (shit... what isn't taxed is the magic question!), rather than gather in strength to defy, resist, and rebel against those behind the theft of taxation to begin with o_O

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
Imagine how well off all of YOU would be, and how much every company would be prospering if not for the theft of taxation. Too bad so many dispute the amount of taxes and what's taxed (shit... what isn't taxed is the magic question!), rather than gather in strength to defy, resist, and rebel against those behind the theft of taxation to begin with o_O

Masturbation isnt taxed.....

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
I work with the steel and aluminum industry and this is definitely a double-edged sword. Economically it makes no sense, but as a political move it does. But the NAFTA countries are exempt which is like 90% of the metal imports, so whatever we get isn't going to matter much.

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
I don't have all the info to make an educated decision and I don't think it would be possible to get it. Most info comes from the point of some ones opinion so...... All I know is that free trade did one hell of a job of eliminating blue collar work in the U.S., is that a good thing? I know in Maine when Gov. King, at the time, completely wiped out all the mills and shoe factories with his cries of 'free trade baby'! And then the bone heads of Maine vote him back into office as a senator. Men and woman who had worked at the mills for 30+ yrs lost pensions they depended on for there retirement, many while on retirement just like those in Pittsburg steel country. With results like these that just scratch the surface is free trade a good thing? I think its time to give these jobs back to Americans. At least Trump is keeping his word about 'Americans first'!

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
I don't have all the info to make an educated decision and I don't think it would be possible to get it. Most info comes from the point of some ones opinion so...... All I know is that free trade did one hell of a job of eliminating blue collar work in the U.S., is that a good thing? I know in Maine when Gov. King, at the time, completely wiped out all the mills and shoe factories with his cries of 'free trade baby'! And then the bone heads of Maine vote him back into office as a senator. Men and woman who had worked at the mills for 30+ yrs lost pensions they depended on for there retirement, many while on retirement just like those in Pittsburg steel country. With results like these that just scratch the surface is free trade a good thing? I think its time to give these jobs back to Americans. At least Trump is keeping his word about 'Americans first'!

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
If blue collar work was eliminated who are these people working in the rust belt that elected Trump? Also, with a booming economy we are approaching underemployment if are aren't there yet, who is doing all this work?

Blue collar workers.
We have alot of them. We need alot more right now.
Btw, we are hiring experienced machinists, welders, and engineers. There are none to be had. Good time to be in business! Time to make hay while the sun is shining.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
I don't believe Trump will actually impose tariffs. I think it's a negotiation tactic. He's trying to squeeze China into putting the screws to NK, and I think he's also trying to spank them for their hardball economic policies - such as dumping huge amounts of steel here, imposing unreasonable tariffs and other barriers to entry into China on us, stealing our intellectual property, forcing our companies to give up more to them through other ways such as making them build plants over there to sell anything there, etc, etc.

I am generally opposed to very much taxes, excessive regulations, etc. And I'm far more worried about things coming out of China such as poisoned baby food or dog food than cheap steel. But if one makes the argument that we must preserve our steel industry for national security reasons, there are better and more sensible ways to do it other than just slapping tariffs on foreign steel - which will only be passed on to consumers.

As for our trade deficit, that's what ends up happening when you're a superpower. Even when our dollar is relatively weak, we can buy far more of just about everything made just about everywhere else. Having free trade helps keep costs down much the same way keeping costs of labor under control does.

I do believe it is a good idea to renegotiate old trade deals made in the past when many countries were smaller and weaker - trade deals that often had built in advantages for those other countries and disadvantages for us.

Wow! JR: I can't believe you and I agree on anything, let alone almost every word you wrote! Well said bro!

The almost is this: I wonder about his bluffing to put the screws to NK or China. I didn't think Donny boy put enough thought into anything to be that subtle or cunning. If he does, then I have mis judged him enormously. . .

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic