Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Thoughts on vegan lifestyle ?

Would you be able to live without chicken, eggs and milk ?

• No

Votes: 25 52.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • Already vegetarian

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Already vegan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meat is essential fuel for the muscle !

Votes: 7 14.6%

• Total voters
ITAWOLF

ITAWOLF

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2010
now if i can get my broc and coli to look n taste like a steak i would be eating them daily
funny thing im vegan during the week mostly but all T-rex on weekends minus short arms

D

devst8r

Oct 13, 2017
being vegetarian, or at least plant based, really is not that difficult if you know how to do it. my parents have been vegetarian since they were in college and they are the youngest looking of all their friends that are the same age. therefore i grew up vegetarian and never even thought about meat until middle school. over those years my mother found new things to be cooking up continuously so that you aren't eating plain, flavorless plant foods.
now that i eat what i want, i still prefer the plant based but i do eat meat, keeping the balance has definitely been key

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
Why does 'the lifestyle' have to come with it? Do I really have to become a San Francisco Bay Area Modern SissyMan too? How 'bout I just take the zucchini like a man, unsliced, unpeeled and totally organic brah.

Gms585

Gms585

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2017
Why does 'the lifestyle' have to come with it? Do I really have to become a San Francisco Bay Area Modern SissyMan too? How 'bout I just take the zucchini like a man, unsliced, unpeeled and totally organic brah.

It doesnt. Thats a perception thing. Of course there are those people. There are also hells angels whos Dr's were like your going to fucking die if you dont make life changes... It's all about perception.

NavyChief

NavyChief

VIP Member
Sep 26, 2013
My ex mother and father in law were vegans for 40yrs. I was amazed at the variety of food and meals they were able to prepare. They certainly new how to eat well in that lifestyle, as my father in law was a big strappin cowboy of a man. Large enough to life, he has always reminded me of John Wayne and was about the same size, with a little larger set of shoulders and a full belly to go with it. Lived on a huge ranch out west and was a real cowboy until the day he passed. Mom was a healthy woman and had the most sound mind and body until it just gave out from old age at 89. They never forced their views on others, but did not want to kill animals to eat hence their way of living and eating. Ironically, they worked a large amount of cattle on the ranch for most of their lives.

R

Ryanatthegym

Jan 25, 2018
It all depends on how you go about it. If you do go vegan, you have to make sure you supplement correctly, and that you're getting all the nutrients your body need, you might do this through a well-balanced diet or nutritional supplements.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
I tried the whole vegan thing for a week and constantly felt hungry and malnourished. It was a dare, so I did it to prove people I could, but also showed me I don’t want to do that again. I’d rather live on meat alone than veggies.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Bunch of judgmental posts in here. I may have contributed one of them a year ago but I had a 25 hour drive recently and listened to a book called “How Not to Die”. It’s written by a doctor who combs through thousands of peer-reviewed, placebo-controlled, double-blind studies that were NOT paid for by a lobby group or otherwise biased source. The bottom-line is that purely from a health standpoint, WE EAT TOO MUCH MEAT IN A WESTERN DIET, and certainly too much in a western diet for people who weight train.

Read: he isn’t telling everyone to go 100% plant based. The science shows the benefits of having more veggies and whole fruits (not just juices). The science shows the strain on the body of too much animal sourced protein. The science shows how to reverse certain diet-derived-diseases with strict diets based around cruciferous veggies, fruits, beans, etc.

The reality FOR ME, was that after two months of a purely plant-based diet (no animal sourced anything, no processed foods, nothing but fruits, grains, veggies, beans, roots, spices, and the like), I felt better in some ways, but had lost 25lbs of fat and muscle, was weaker in the gym (not weak, but weaker), and had less energy overall.

Why?? The science showed that I should have been running better. I was taking much better shits from all the fiber. I had lost a lot of body fat. My skin looked “fresher” and my eyes looked brighter and my mood seemed calmer. But I didn’t go a day without people asking me what was wrong and why I looked skinnier (gasp!).

My opinion: I’m too damn big to be able to hit my macros with a plant-based diet. For someone needing 2500-3000 calories per day, it’s doable but would still require quite a bit of planning and preparing. But for me to maintain my 6’3”, 250lb, high-teens body fat percentage, functional strength-training body, consuming 4000ish plant-based calories per day and still having time to run a business and have a social life, just wasn’t even close to doable.

So now I just make sure I eat more veggies and fruits and beans than in the past. I don’t freak out anymore if I don’t have the largest steak on the menu, or if I don’t have animal sourced protein in every meal. I’m back over 250 and can still see my abs (with a trt dose that keeps me in a nominal ng/dL range), I still have better shits, better skin, and a better mood in general. And if I die when I’m 75 instead of 80, I’m ok with it.

I still recommend people read or listen to “How Not to Die”. There’s some pretty good info in it.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Great post SAD, I'll have to hunt down that book.

I concur with you about the health side of things, I can see how the strength thing could go either way for different people. Personally I got stronger when I stopped eating meat & dairy, but yes it does require a lot of careful planning and consideration until you are used to what you are doing.

Reactions: SAD
tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
I'm a carnivore, but am learning about the value of a balanced diet, which for me will include more fruits and veggies. I do think it takes some planning and some re-education, but ultimately I want a good quality of life, and I think a more balanced diet with more veggies is the right thing for me. I love just about all vegetables, but typically like them with my meat. Will be a transition making them the primary calorie source with the meats being secondary.

captaincaveman

captaincaveman

TID Board Of Directors
Oct 17, 2010
Then God said, "Let us make human beings in our image, to be like us. They will reign over the fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, the livestock, all the wild animals on the earth, and the small animals that scurry along the ground."

"Rein over" translates to "grill and/or bake"........... :)

K

KyleB

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2012
I will just throw in my 2 cents. I apparently was told I was a vegetarian for around 5+ years. I don't label anything I do, I just do it, several people told me it though. I can tell you that I almost never bloat and when I stopped eating meat my whole appetite for eating a whole pizza just left me. Like I just desired less.

...Then I tried to eliminate all animal based stuff, some called it vegan....I have never had a flatter stomach 24/7 like that ever, I almost never overate and my food bill was insanely low. Problem was 3-4 months in, I was almost always sore from the gym. Didn't matter what drugs I used.

So I added cheese again, I don't really like milk, all is well. I just add cheese here and there to my meals.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic