pbtom
What's New?

One of the co-founders of bitcoin.com has sold all of his bitcoin

NavyChief

NavyChief

VIP Member
Sep 26, 2013
One of the co-founders of bitcoin.com has sold all of his bitcoin

Bitcoin.com is one of the world's largest bitcoin sites, having grown its profile thanks to the insane price surge of the cryptocurrency this year. But its cofounder and CTO, Emil Oldenburg, a Swedish native, is extremely skeptical of bitcoin's future.

"I would say an investment in bitcoin is right now the riskiest investment you can make. There's an extremely high risk," he says in an interview with Swedish tech site Breakit.

"I have in fact sold all my bitcoins recently and switched to bitcoin cash," says Oldenburg, referring to the problems with bitcoin's high transaction costs and lead times.

Indeed, by some counts, bitcoin transaction fees are doubling every three months, and it now takes on average 4.5 hours to confirm a bitcoin transaction. Ars Technica reported that fees reached $26 per trade recently. Bitcoin.com operates in everything that has to do with bitcoins.

Oldenburg doesn't want to disclose any revenue numbers, more than revealing "it's an awfully lot of money," he says to Breakit. Even on a personal level.

"All my salary in the past three years has come in bitcoin," just as those of his 60 colleagues in Tokyo, Oldenburg says. But according to the Swedish bitcoin expert, it's time to change to bitcoin cash.

There's a big reason for that switch, and it's all about the market liquidity — or lack thereof — of bitcoin.

The reason why people haven't understood the risks inherent in owning bitcoins, according to Oldenburg, is simply because most have so far only bought the cryptocurrency — but never sold or traded with them. "As soon as people realize that this is how it works, they will start to sell," he tells Breakit.

"The old bitcoin network is as good as unusable."

While buying, selling or trading in bitcoins is not an issue today, according to Oldenburg, the problems surface when bitcoin transactions are recorded on the blockchain, the digital ledger that records each transaction.

The problem centers on the limited amount of transactions per second you can make in the bitcoin network, which in turn depends on the formation of the memory "block size" that store the transactions. This, according to Oldenburg, makes for a very illiquid and unusable cryptocurrency.

It is a controversial issue right now that the amount of bitcoin trades you can make per second is limited. This in turn leads to high transaction costs and long transaction lead times, which seem to be increasing as new investors are crowding the market in chase of quick returns.

Even though these major problems and "up to 12-hour transaction lead times" could be addressed, Oldenburg sees no signs of change, because its run by the "old" bitcoin network, which he calls "fanatical bitcoin talibans."

"[They ]want things this way. They see bitcoin as a digital gold and a technical experiment, as opposed to something you can actually use."

In what may be considered somewhat ironic, Oldenburg says bitcoin.com is distancing itself from bitcoin and has even stopped developing services for it — to mostly focus on bitcoin cash, the currency that split from bitcoin back in August, and recently overtook Ethereum as the world's second-largest cryptocurrency.

"It only costs $0.012 (10 Swedish "öre", the centesimal subdivision of krona) to send a [Bitcoin Cash transaction] and there are no lead times. The only drawback is that you need larger hard drives, but that's not a problem for most people," Oldenburg says to Breakit.

Oldenburg refers to the bigger block size limit of Bitcoin Cash, currently 8Mb — as opposed to bitcoin's 1Mb — which leads to lower transaction fees.

All in all, he doesn't believe bitcoin will be the currency for everyday use the world is hoping for. "Not as long as the network is run by this group of people [in the old bitcoin network]. The solutions will be found in bitcoin cash, that's where I see a future."

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
What to do...What to do...I do hate the high transaction fees Bitcoin now has. The low fees were exactly why I liked it before. Now no one can move anything under $500 without taking a huge chunk of the transaction.

Warrior45

Warrior45

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 9, 2012
Sooo...for those who are not paying attention Coinbase added BCH last night. Bitcoin Cash had a nice jump. :D

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic