Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Under the Knife on Friday......

goof321

goof321

Nov 18, 2011
So I get to celebrate my birthday having a stone 1/3 the size of my kidney removed. My nephrologist last did a barium die CT Scan back in late September with nothing shown in the kidneys at all. So apparently this sucker has grown that large in a few months time.
For now I am stuck with a drain tube coming out of my back with a bag attached to my hip. Its rather gross and embarrassing. I collapsed at work from the pain last week and spent a few days there under observation for complication and to manage the pain.
So this throws a wrench in all of my plans for anything related to physical movement etc.
As I mentioned before, Friday is the big day for the surgeons to remove it and possible the lower half of the kidney depending on the damage. We wont know until they open me up. Belly button to spine apparently.
So once I recover Ill be home and bored, so I'll probably be here annoying all of you great people.
Kinda nervous about the whole thing but I know Ill get through it.

But any advice from anyone who has gone through this sort of procedure? What to do and what NOT to do? It would be greatly appreciated.

Warmest Regards to all,

Respectfully,
Goof

Attachments

• kidney pic.JPG
    kidney pic.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 509
OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
Best I can do is follow what yoiur docs tell you for recovery. Good luck man...

tinymk

tinymk

Feb 5, 2013
Best to you and your recovery brother..

AXEMURDERER

AXEMURDERER

MuscleHead
Jan 5, 2011
Best of luck brother. I have an uncle with an identical issue. Going under the knife will get it over with.

Im going to drink 3 gallons of water right now. Kidney stones are terrifying.

Warrior45

Warrior45

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 9, 2012
wow man...thats the biggest stone I ever heard of. prayers for you bro.

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
My dad's left kidney is essentially fossilized from stones. I inherited his unique (read shitty) malformations in my nephrons as well. I pass about 2 stones a year now but I also gave up chocolate, sweet potatoes, lunch meats, spinach etc. I also drink a gallon of lemon water a day to keep citric acid levels high which helps keep stones from forming. I have been stabbed and electrocuted by a 220v line and neither hurt anywhere near what passing a stone does. Good luck brother.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Man sorry to hear, best to ya brother hope a somewhat fast and less painful recovery:(

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
I also drink a gallon of lemon water a day to keep citric acid levels high which helps keep stones from forming.

Mike, not doughting you, but is there solid evidence to back this up?

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
Not really but more than a few Urologists I work with told me it's not a bad idea. The citrate is supposed to help slow formation of stones and also keep smaller stones from binding with each other to create obstructing stones.

W

Wham

Dec 16, 2017
Be strong hang in there, your a brave soul, it's time like this to appreciate the good you have and your love ones standing with you,
Appreciate life, god is with you, the moment you go under it will be fast and nothing to worrie, your brave and the good thing all will come out well,

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Wishing you all the best. I'm sure it will all go to plan and you'll be back at it in no time, good vibes going out to you.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic