Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Squatting to jump higher

X

.X.

Jan 17, 2012
I know it is generally easier to lift more weight with a wider stance. If my main goal is to jump higher than would a narrow stance help me meet my goal better? What about front squats vs back squats for jumping?

sakaqb46

sakaqb46

Aug 28, 2010
If your goal is to increase your jump, then doing more jumping is going to help. This means different kinds of jumps, like seated jumps, depth jumps, bounding, hurdles, broad jumps.

But to do any of the more advanced plyometrics (depth jumps specifically) you need to have an adequate amount of strength. I think I read once that you shouldn't be doing any sort of depth jump unless you have at minimum a 2xbw back squat. If you dont have that prequisite strength then its best to get stronger, and to have the most amount of carry over from squat to jump, you should be using the same stance for both.

Some folks in here have made reasonable points for quarter squats and a few other excercises; but my opinion is the best carry over is going to be any explosive movement.... period. So that includes power cleans, other jumps, med ball throws etc. Practicing and engraining the movement pattern for creating massive amount of force rapidly while hitting good positions takes time.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
You should perform all sorts of squats but include things like deadlift cleans and variations thereof.

Keep your training percentages below 75%. Take a look at prilipins chart for rep ranges.

Warrior45

Warrior45

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 9, 2012
I would like to add that jump squats with dumbbells are a great exercise for increasing explosiveness. I hated doing them, but they certainly translated into more explosive jumps. Just don't get stupid with the weight you use. Make sure your legs are warmed up as well.

daman1

daman1

VIP Member
Jul 25, 2016
When I was trying to increase my vertical, I focused heavily on plyometrics and also hoop jumps (for the psychological aspect). I would set the hoop at 9 feet and keep jumping until I could get high enough to where my forearm was halfway above the rim. After I could do that, I'd raise the rim a few inches. I did this until I could get to almost 11 feet. It took a while but I eventually got there. Just my .02. Good luck.

LowKey

LowKey

Oct 16, 2017
For what it's worth: alot depends on you OP, like if you're a strong legged slow twitch guy then work as much explosive movements without weight as possible I call them power jumps where you jump up high as you can with hands stretched above head and then land going down into a deep squat before going back up into the jump. Skipping believe it or not, running hills, and well, as someone said: jumping.
If you are already springy and explosive and a fast twitch guy: then strength exercises like squats will build up your strength until you can do the more common combination exercises like dumbbell jump squats and such as explosive lunges with light weight, band jumps etc.... You can find a ton of exercises to incorporate but start with what you got where you are.
If you are somewhere in the middle then combine all 3: weightless plyo type, weighted strength and combined weighted and explosive(power).
Just something to think about.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic