Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Samson0692
What's New?

Does working your hamstring ( via leg curls ) help build better rounder glutes?

Rebel Yell

Rebel Yell

Feb 19, 2015
I know that squats, lunges, etc help make for better glutes but my neighbor asked me specifically if leg curls in particular help make for better rounder glutes by working the hamstrings, because I really didn't know.

Rebel Yell

Rebel Yell

Feb 19, 2015
Thanks Monsoon. Being a squat man I had no either.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
Just off top of my head, GHR , hip thrust, lunge, rear elevated split squat, RDL, sguats , bunch of machines...

U

UnimatrixZero

Nov 8, 2017
The hamstring has two main functions. One is knee flexion, bringing the lower leg up towards the hamstring. The other is hip flexion, in which it works sympathetically with the flutes. This like RDls and glute-ham raises excercise it in this manner, whereas hamstring curls isolate the hamstrings through knee flexion.

In otherwords, no.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
I doubt any isolation exercise we choose to isolate a muscle truly does isolate. The body has an annoying habit of complicating things, and leg curls most ppl choose for hamstrings probably do hit the glutes a little. That said, your neighbor (woman?) will be better served doing any of the stuff mentioned above. Some gyms have machines that are aimed at glutes, but all gyms have what you need for squats, deadlifts and leg presses. Males/females tend to prioritize different bodyparts, beginners especially, you might see, or provoke, more discussion of this in the Woman's section here. For full disclosure, remind your neighbor of genetics too, some ppl are gonna have a relatively flat ass no matter what, while some were born with just the opposite.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Just off top of my head, GHR , hip thrust, lunge, rear elevated split squat, RDL, sguats , bunch of machines...

Don't forget sumo deads and step ups.

ExerciseMachina

ExerciseMachina

Jan 24, 2018
My question is, do hamstring curls help anything?

Aren't there a lot of exercises that engage them more properly?

I get DOMS for days on my hams doing leg presses pushing primarily through my heels.

Why would I need to do hams curls?

myosaurus

myosaurus

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 21, 2010
there's 2 heads to bicep femoris and one of them only cross 1 joint(short head i believe). so no matter how many SLD, deads, sumos you do, you won't get full development unless you perform some type of knee flexion exercise aka leg curls.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic