Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Journey to 500 Wilks Score

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
I tried it in the past and the last injury I sustained was b/c of pulling 2x week. I'm not confident my body can handle pulling, squatting, and benching twice a week. Benching, squatting twice and pulling, overhead pressing once a week already takes its toll.

We're only pulling and doing overheads twice per week. Once during the week and once on Strongman saturdays. Saturdays also have a combination of other exercises that vary from farmer carries, to yoke carry or stone loading. Though I find them taxing, the Saturdays don't interfere with my other training.

It seems to me that we worked up to this over about three years, increasing my volume as my endurance and recovery have increased. Now I can handle a lot more volume than ever before and hardly notice Saturday training the next day. Of course I eat a lot more food than ever before, too. I am thinking about increasing the volume even more. . .

Also, we aren't taking deadlift to failure every week. Oftentimes we do 5x5 with 80% or less of 1rm. Probably more than half our workouts are 5 x 5 or some higher endurance training. Over time we work up to sets of 3 x 1 rep of 90% or 95% and rarely do 1rm. Also, though we do often train to failure, my coach judges my strength almost perfectly and when doing higher volume, like 5x5, and gives me weights I can barely handle for all my reps on the workout, so that my last 1 or 2 reps are a struggle or failure. On the lower rep workouts, we sometimes finish with a low weight to max reps. Every workout is different from the last, and we repeat the pattern only a couple times per year.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
10/07/2017

Squats:

1. 155 2x5
  2. 275 1x5
  3. 319 1x3
  4. 385 1x2
  5. 418 1x2
  6. 319 2x5 paused

SSB Good morning:
153 3x5

Leg Press:
3x20

Leg Extensions:
3x12

GHR
4x12

Reverse Hypers:
100 3x12

Coach got on me for going up to 418. He doesn't want me going over 400 yet until we fix my technique, get my hips opened up. I found another area that needs to be worked on. I need to work on my dorsiflexion. I'm pitching forward as I drive up.

I'm not driving with my midfoot. Leaking lots of force. I've got 5 months to get it fixed. No biggie. It will get fixed.

I'm also squatting with a much narrower stance than usual to give my hips a break. Low narrow stance will take some getting used to.

Lots of changes to your squat. Narrower stance, shorter heel (but still a heel), etc.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Cool I'll give it a go once you get it.

Found another spot locally that carries an axle. The first was a 5' 20lbs axle which I don't want. The other is 7' 35lbs which works for me. It's under $100 so I'll pick it up this week. Excited to have something new to train with.

franchise24

franchise24

Oct 20, 2015
Lots of changes to your squat. Narrower stance, shorter heel (but still a heel), etc.
The narrow stance I did to take some pressure off my hips for now. I'll go back to my normal stance. Waiting for my powerpants to get here.

franchise24

franchise24

Oct 20, 2015
When back to my old grip; thumbs length from the smooth part of the bar. Pretty much my hand was inside the rings. And I hated it. In just 2-3 sessions with a wider grip I have gotten used to it and like it much better. I can set my scaps tighter and it gives me better leverages. So it was just coach and I today. We usually bench on Tuesday's. I had to go in today since my wife will be delivery our baby tomorrow. We worked up to the same weight as last week 341 6x3. We are working on getting more reps with that weight. Especially since I hit 417 a few weeks ago. So endurance, technique is what we are working on. Today was a great session. He stayed with me for the main lifts and left after.

Bench:
Bar 1x5 pointer finger on rings
Bar close grip 1x5
155 1X5
231 1X5
275 1X3
319 1X1
341 6X3
275 2X5 Paused

Incline Dumbbells:
85 4x15

Side Lateral Raises/Front Lateral Raises:
20 4x20/20 4x20

EZ Bar Tricep PushDowns/Rope PushDowns:
4x20/4x20

Chest Supported Supinated Rows/Close Grip Lat PullDowns:
145 4x15/145 4x15

Hammer Curls:
20 4x20

After all this. I just got on the bench and worked on setup. I found the what my optimal setup might be. And I will implement it next bench session. I sent the vid to coach and it said that it looked much better. So the setup isn't ground breaking.

I place my feet on the bench raise my ass off the bench driving my upper back into the the bench then I place on leg down and the other down as far towards my head as possible but, making sure to keep the balls of my feet in contact with the floor. I get a nice arch scaps retracted and and bar path with no weight was perfect; up and back.

Also getting used to having someone hand the bar off is different when you are not used to it. It makes setting up easier but it takes getting used to. All you do is setup grab the bar elbows locked hard and your spotter will hand the bar off to you. As he does that you are keeping elbows locked and almost rowing the bar to where you will initiate the press. At this point you should be locked in solid. Lats, and scaps locked in. Chest puffed up from pulling those scaps together and down. Now it's go time.

franchise24

franchise24

Oct 20, 2015
Lifting under the tutelage of coach that has been in the game for a very long time is amazing. I have had issue with my hips for about a month now.

At home I have been been playing with different squat stances toes straight narrow stance, toes pointed out narrow stance. A little wider than shoulder width no go. So today I was telling my coach how with my toes pointed more forward I don't have any issues with my hips.

He proceeds to widen my stance to how I had it prior to joining him and the team. He then said instead of pointing my toes out bring my heels in towards each other. Man this made a huge difference and gives the allusion of a wider stance. And my hips didn't bother me. Granted I have been doing a lot of mobility work with banded distraction as well. But this is a game changer for sure.

fit_dynamite

fit_dynamite

TID Lady Member
Oct 11, 2017
Hi franchise. I'm excited to follow you to your next meet. I've entertained the idea of participating in a powerlifting meet and was actually about to begin a program last year when my training got derailed due to forearm tendonitis. Now that is under control I need to light that fire again to start. Anyways, I saw that you and your wife are having your baby. Is she/he here yet? Thats totally exciting!

franchise24

franchise24

Oct 20, 2015
Hi franchise. I'm excited to follow you to your next meet. I've entertained the idea of participating in a powerlifting meet and was actually about to begin a program last year when my training got derailed due to forearm tendonitis. Now that is under control I need to light that fire again to start. Anyways, I saw that you and your wife are having your baby. Is she/he here yet? Thats totally exciting!
I think the next meet is sold out. The baby was born Tuesday. 9 pound boy. I was able to grab the last spot for my weight class. You should definitely do a meet.

Sleeping on the hospital couch has my hips locked up pretty tight. We squat tomorrow, my wife hasn't been released yet. Pending her release, I'll probably squat on Sunday.

fit_dynamite

fit_dynamite

TID Lady Member
Oct 11, 2017
I think the next meet is sold out. The baby was born Tuesday. 9 pound boy. I was able to grab the last spot for my weight class. You should definitely do a meet.

Sleeping on the hospital couch has my hips locked up pretty tight. We squat tomorrow, my wife hasn't been released yet. Pending her release, I'll probably squat on Sunday.

Congrats to you both! Thats a big boy! Enjoy him, they grow too fast! My son just graduated from hs and in college now. Track athlete.

Ouch. But now-a-days if Mom is doing well, they release you pretty quick.

franchise24

franchise24

Oct 20, 2015
Congrats to you both! Thats a big boy! Enjoy him, they grow too fast! My son just graduated from hs and in college now. Track athlete.

Ouch. But now-a-days if Mom is doing well, they release you pretty quick.
Every one is home now. Some adjusting. I might just skip out on squats this weekend to be here for my wife. Start back up on Tuesday.

franchise24

franchise24

Oct 20, 2015
This cycle was experimental and the meet was spontaneous.

Test E: 2 gram week
Tren E: 1 gram week
Deca: 700mg/week

Orals: Dbol/Drol Weeks 1-6 50/50 split
Last 4 weeks Dbol/Drol 50/50 Split

I was at my strongest week 8

So next cycle will be started 11 weeks out from my next meet. I have MENT, Test E, Test C, Test ISO, Tren E and Ace, Deca, EQ. Orals: Dbol, Drol, Halo, Var, Cheque Drops.
Injectable pre workout: Test and Tren Suspension, Test and Tren no Ester in oil. Mtren 5mg/ml

I am open to suggestions for this next cycle. Given what I have on hand.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Took a page out of your book. We'll see how well it works when I bench heavier. It did seem more stable and I got more leg drive out of it.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic