What's New?

Journey to 500 Wilks Score

franchise24

franchise24

Oct 20, 2015
Stats:
5'9"
210-215

At the moment I truly don't know my 1 rep max. I'm training with a well known coach and retired powerlifter. We have a great team of ladies and gentlemen.

I've been training with the team for about a month now. Coach has pushed heavy on my squat due to my hips being tight. And we have some form/technique work to staple down.

I've benched 417x1 since training with there. My previous 1 rep max on deadlifts was 505 I hit 506 3x3 two weeks ago. I've squatted 565 in belt and wraps.

So I'll begin this journal by saying my next meet will be in March 2018. I bombed out of my first meet last month. I missed depth on my squat each attempt.

10/05/2017

Deadlift:
155 1x5
265 1x5
319 1x3
407 1x3
441 1x3
506 1x2
560 3x3
341 2x5

Barbell Shrugs:
315 3x10

Reverse Hyper:
100 3x12

I used hook grip up to my 441 set. 560 I used straps. We use straps just about every session. But I've switched from mix grip to hook grip. And once the weights get near max effort coach doesn't want me to hook grip yet. Every week he lets me go one set heavier with hook grip.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Deadlifts coming up. Good to see your posting your journal over here. Your coach is going to push you so you'll find out just how far you can go.

Are you going to our friend's meet in 3 weeks?

franchise24

franchise24

Oct 20, 2015
Deadlifts coming up. Good to see your posting your journal over here. Your coach is going to push you so you'll find out just how far you can go.

Are you going to our friend's meet in 3 weeks?
Yeah he's slowly pushing me as long as form and technique are there that day he will keep pushing. As soon as he sees that breakdown he will do fatigue drops. Sometimes he will have me go for one set of AMRAPS or do 2-3 sets. We sat and talked and we decided to scratch the December meet. And shoot for March. So I can hone in on technique.

Looks our old gym charged me for the month even after I cancelled. What days do you go in to our old gym?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Yeah he's slowly pushing me as long as form and technique are there that day he will keep pushing. As soon as he sees that breakdown he will do fatigue drops. Sometimes he will have me go for one set of AMRAPS or do 2-3 sets. We sat and talked and we decided to scratch the December meet. And shoot for March. So I can hone in on technique.

Looks our old gym charged me for the month even after I cancelled. What days do you go in to our old gym?

Damn man, that sucks. You should call them about that. I've been going in on Mon/Wed/Fri. I was in there today at 3:30pm. I go in the AM (around 10am) on Mon and Wed.

I'm contemplating my 4th day there (either Sat or Sun). I just don't want to over do it with deadlifting 2x week. I haven't made up my mind on that.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Damn man, that sucks. You should call them about that. I've been going in on Mon/Wed/Fri. I was in there today at 3:30pm. I go in the AM (around 10am) on Mon and Wed.

I'm contemplating my 4th day there (either Sat or Sun). I just don't want to over do it with deadlifting 2x week. I haven't made up my mind on that.

My coach has had me dead lift twice per week regularly (my only exercise on Mondays, and one of three or four on Strongman Saturdays) for about four years now, and I haven't noticed any problems because of it. In fact dead lift is my best event...

franchise24

franchise24

Oct 20, 2015
My coach has had me dead lift twice per week regularly (my only exercise on Mondays, and one of three or four on Strongman Saturdays) for about four years now, and I haven't noticed any problems because of it. In fact dead lift is my best event...
You definitely have adapted to that style of training. That is awesome though. Do yo compete in strongman?

franchise24

franchise24

Oct 20, 2015

I will come in on Wednesdays same time as you on Wednesdays to do some more back work. Nothing standing that mimics deadlift. I'll probably go in on Monday to do the same things as Wednesday's. And some Hammer curls just keep things balanced.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011

I tried it in the past and the last injury I sustained was b/c of pulling 2x week. I'm not confident my body can handle pulling, squatting, and benching twice a week. Benching, squatting twice and pulling, overhead pressing once a week already takes its toll.

Last edited:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I will come in on Wednesdays same time as you on Wednesdays to do some more back work. Nothing standing that mimics deadlift. I'll probably go in on Monday to do the same things as Wednesday's. And some Hammer curls just keep things balanced.

Cool. I'm going to pick up an axle for the gym so I'll have that in the closet. I'm not going to put a lock on it. I'll just keep it in there. That's another way you can work grip while rows, pressing, etc.

franchise24

franchise24

Oct 20, 2015
Cool. I'm going to pick up an axle for the gym so I'll have that in the closet. I'm not going to put a lock on it. I'll just keep it in there. That's another way you can work grip while rows, pressing, etc.
Cool I'll give it a go once you get it.

franchise24

franchise24

Oct 20, 2015
10/07/2017

Squats:

1. 155 2x5
  2. 275 1x5
  3. 319 1x3
  4. 385 1x2
  5. 418 1x2
  6. 319 2x5 paused

SSB Good morning:
153 3x5

Leg Press:
3x20

Leg Extensions:
3x12

GHR
4x12

Reverse Hypers:
100 3x12

Coach got on me for going up to 418. He doesn't want me going over 400 yet until we fix my technique, get my hips opened up. I found another area that needs to be worked on. I need to work on my dorsiflexion. I'm pitching forward as I drive up.

I'm not driving with my midfoot. Leaking lots of force. I've got 5 months to get it fixed. No biggie. It will get fixed.

I'm also squatting with a much narrower stance than usual to give my hips a break. Low narrow stance will take some getting used to.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
You definitely have adapted to that style of training. That is awesome though. Do yo compete in strongman?
Yes I compete. I am doing well, though I am 51 years old, and not doing as well as the better younger guys. I am hoping to change that over the next couple of years, though . . .

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic