pbtom
What's New?

Kids Go-Karts

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
My son is turning 8 next month, want to get him something cool. Any suggestions on a go kart, small motor that's safe?

NavyChief

NavyChief

VIP Member
Sep 26, 2013
Ive had all kinds of toys for kids brother. Youngest a new adult now. Go-carts, 4wheelers, dirtbikes, and more. By far the most ridden and over all safest thru the years, has been the dirt bikes.

Others will disagree, but bikes do not chase you down normally and crush you when you crash. You go one way, they usually go down or another. Ive ridden all since I was a young child also. My sons first dirt bike was a yamaha 50 at 5 yrs old. at 8 he was on a TTR-90cc yamaha KTM-85sx at 10, and this little shit jumped to riding my KTM SX-250, when he was 12. He is now 21 and rides a GASGAS MX250 in the mountains and does some pretty knarly single track rides, of which I "used to do". I ride a GASGAS EC-300, woods weapon set up, awesome GPR steering dampner, flywheel weight for those long hard steep hill climbs. Anyway, I digress.

Point is, my 2 girls have ridden and my son rides hard and for years. The only injuries that any of them have had that required a visit to an ER, were from the go-carts, and the flippin 4wheelers. Crashed the bikes many times, but with proper gear, its never been an issue.

Last summer I met some people from Pennsylvania, they came here to visit. Brought their 2 kids, one a 7 yr old spolied little shit boy that wouldnt listen. I seen the dad letting the kid ride with out a helmet or chest protector. After hearing my advice, I was dismissed easily. I told my girlfriend I wanted to leave her paremts and go, BEFORE the kid ends up dead or hurt.

3 hours later her mother called to say they were headed to the ER. The kid ran into a piece of farm equiptment near a bailer. Metal piece pierced the 4wheeler plastics and thru the gas tank and into the kids belly. Ended up with just stitches thank god. But proper gear would have prevented it and rules for the kid. But if it had been a dirtbike, he would have been able to avoid where he was and turn correctly.

I say get the boy a dirtbike, he will have the time of his life. Enjoy and have lots of fun

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
I don't really have enough property for a dirt bike. Figured he can screw around with a go kart, small motor, just to get him something to ride. I see one of my neighbors kids, he 7, tearing up their front lawn with a quad doing donuts, kids gonna flip and get crushed, rides like an idiot.

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
Got my son a go kart at 9, rode it a dozen times and then became bored.....$2000 down the drain.....

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
Sold it to a neighbor for $800

NavyChief

NavyChief

VIP Member
Sep 26, 2013
Protect him with gear and he will be fine. The quadtard deal isn't for little tards. Your wife will attest to that.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
I don't really have enough property for a dirt bike. Figured he can screw around with a go kart, small motor, just to get him something to ride. I see one of my neighbors kids, he 7, tearing up their front lawn with a quad doing donuts, kids gonna flip and get crushed, rides like an idiot.

Make sure it has a roll cage and harness.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
My son got them a little earlier....maybe 6-7 but at 10 still rides them. I got him a Razor quad and dirt bike. (electric) Strong enough to pull me. He goes buzzing around the neighborhood all the time. Uses it to run back and fourth to friends houses now. All his buddies like to ride them when they come over. At 10, I would say he is ALMOST out grown them....but they still get use.

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
LK doesnt want anything electric, he loves the smell of a small gas engine....

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic