Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Manual labor jobs & diets

MuscleBeach

MuscleBeach

Jul 20, 2017
Im really interested to see how many of the members work labor related jobs. Whether its construction, coal mining, concrete, mason whatever...I myself am a concrete guy and its super tough to get the right meals in let alone just A meal when were really moving.
So what does everyone here do to make sure they're eating? Are you sweating a lot at work and see your weight drop in a week? What do you do to prevent it?

Gregger

Gregger

MuscleHead
Dec 16, 2012
For the year or so prior to this last March, I worked for a Harley and a Power sports dealer...
Basically I pushed around motorcycles, trikes and ATV's. Not only was it stupid hot I also ran the wash bay adding even more moisture in the air...
No breaks really except a 30min lunch, and I can't eat when I'm that hot and sweating so I packed a lot of finger foods in my prep meal bag...
Chicken cubed...
Protein bites...
Quest bars...
Etc...
Hated it but man I got lean!

MuscleBeach

MuscleBeach

Jul 20, 2017
For the year or so prior to this last March, I worked for a Harley and a Power sports dealer...
Basically I pushed around motorcycles, trikes and ATV's. Not only was it stupid hot I also ran the wash bay adding even more moisture in the air...
No breaks really except a 30min lunch, and I can't eat when I'm that hot and sweating so I packed a lot of finger foods in my prep meal bag...
Chicken cubed...
Protein bites...
Quest bars...
Etc...
Hated it but man I got lean!
Thats my problem im losing some mass and am leaning out a little more than I would like to. My job is seasonal so winter time till about March is my crunch time to really put on some size when I'm eating 5 meals a day but during the Summers it's very difficult.

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
Here's a few tricks my coworkers and I used to use when working on the gas pipeline - it would be continuous work when we installed mains with inspectors on sight so we found ways to sneak meals in...

Fill a decent-sized shaker cup with one cup of regular ol' instant Quaker Oats and then dump two scoops of protein in it. If water isn't available, make sure to have two bottles with you for each of these shaker cups.

Dump water in, shake up real good, let it sit for a minute or so, shake again, chug as fast as possible.

This gives you close to 60g of carbs and protein with little fat. If you want healthy fats, keep a small jar of peanut butter in the cooler and use some fast food spoons to eat a scoop or two.

Make sure to rinse that damn cup out or your kitchen will smell like ass until the dishwasher is done running.

Homemade sandwiches are your friend as well in these cases. I could inhale a sandwich from the time it took to grab a tool from the work truck and walk back to the job site. Always make sure you have something work-related in your hand so it doesn't look like a lunch break - you're just utilizing your time. If you toss a sandwich and a shaker in your daily routine you're good money. Sometimes I would make half sandwiches and eat them every two hours - easier to crush in minimal time and, with sandwiches, you can easily manipulate macros. Wheat bread, overloaded with deli meat, lettuce, tomato, low-fat cheese, etc.

If you're stopping for gas somewhere or to use the restroom, you can always get some milk and use that in a shaker with protein in a pinch. Or dump the protein in the milk container and shake. Carbs from the milk can replace the oats. We would go half on a bag of protein and a big tub of oats from your favorite wholesale grocer from time to time just to look out. Only do the milk thing in the Winter, though. Get some Dollar Store, plastic measuring cups to put in the oatmeal container if you're keeping the supplies on the truck. Otherwise, just dump your stuff in the shaker before work and bring with you ready to mix with bottled water.

Vanilla protein in a Gatorade was done by some but I couldn't stomach it on the regular.

Drinking a bottle of water an hour is a must, maybe two if it's a heat advisory day or there's no shade. Gatorade is essential for cramping when it's wild hot outside because of electrolyte replacement.

None of this shit is optimal, but it does work.

Two shaker cups and a sandwich and you're potentially looking at 120-150g of both carbs and protein. Sometimes better than most of us eat on the weekend when we can cook all our shit. Minimal cooler space needed for this also. Warm or room temperature water even works better with the shaker - cold water doesn't mix as well.

Hope this helps a bit!

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
The key to me for working in the heat was to eat a very big breakfast. Get your fats in there! I would have some snacks during day (calorie dense like nuts..etc)

My lunch, since eating a lot was tough, would just be protein and fruit. (usually some leftover meat...chicken, beef...etc). I would not go for very fatty options here as eating alone was tough at times. Fruit always goes down easy, especially if you keep it cold in your cooler. Frozen grapes are awesome. Peeled oranges (easy to stuff down). Apples...etc

I would hit gym, and then post wo shake. (easy cals you just suck up).

8oz apple juice
1 frozen banana
1cup frozen strawberries
2 scoops whey
Dextrose as desired
Water to about 32 oz and blend.

Gives you about 70g-80g carbs and 50g pro.

Then 45min later eat dinner. THEN snack on icecream and goodies. Usually both. Depending on how hard my day was I would eat 4 servings of icecream and then get into cookies and milk.

Finally before bed, 8oz of milk and 1 scoop whey.

If you are still not getting cals, switch to whole milk. Makes a pretty big impact even with 3-4 cups a day. The key to me was to not focus on trying to eat too much during the day.

ITAWOLF

ITAWOLF

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2010
military for 20 and now 12 yrs pvt military
scout and H2H instructor

my go 2 in the field has been tons of jerky and peanut butter and granola

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Whether you work manual labor or otherwise the number one key is MEAL PREP.

When I did manual labor I packed a cooler every day.

Now I work in an office and guess what? I PACK A COOLER BAG EVERY DAY.

When I did manual labour I froze a 1.5L bottle of water with a few lemon slices every night so I had cold water all day.

At the office it's several trips to the water fountain during the day and a water bottle on my desk all day long.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Success with your eating in this type of job boils down to 2 things

1. Prepare food in advance
2. Abandon this ridiculous idea of clean eating. Most guys run into trouble because they are so engrained with this idea that they have to eat chicken breast and sweet potatoes 6 times a day. Eat whatever the fuck had calories. It's really not to hard. Even if you just bought a box of protein bars at Costco it's better than nothing.

MuscleBeach

MuscleBeach

Jul 20, 2017
The key to me for working in the heat was to eat a very big breakfast. Get your fats in there! I would have some snacks during day (calorie dense like nuts..etc)

My lunch, since eating a lot was tough, would just be protein and fruit. (usually some leftover meat...chicken, beef...etc). I would not go for very fatty options here as eating alone was tough at times. Fruit always goes down easy, especially if you keep it cold in your cooler. Frozen grapes are awesome. Peeled oranges (easy to stuff down). Apples...etc

I would hit gym, and then post wo shake. (easy cals you just suck up).

8oz apple juice
1 frozen banana
1cup frozen strawberries
2 scoops whey
Dextrose as desired
Water to about 32 oz and blend.

Gives you about 70g-80g carbs and 50g pro.

Then 45min later eat dinner. THEN snack on icecream and goodies. Usually both. Depending on how hard my day was I would eat 4 servings of icecream and then get into cookies and milk.

Finally before bed, 8oz of milk and 1 scoop whey.

If you are still not getting cals, switch to whole milk. Makes a pretty big impact even with 3-4 cups a day. The key to me was to not focus on trying to eat too much during the day.
Alot of good feedback on this thread but you really seem to have hit my schedule amd what I could do on the head. Thanks for the information, I like the fruit frozen grapes are my favorite. I will definitely start loading up first thing in the morning! Kudos brother thank you.

MuscleBeach

MuscleBeach

Jul 20, 2017
Here's a few tricks my coworkers and I used to use when working on the gas pipeline - it would be continuous work when we installed mains with inspectors on sight so we found ways to sneak meals in...

Fill a decent-sized shaker cup with one cup of regular ol' instant Quaker Oats and then dump two scoops of protein in it. If water isn't available, make sure to have two bottles with you for each of these shaker cups.

Dump water in, shake up real good, let it sit for a minute or so, shake again, chug as fast as possible.

This gives you close to 60g of carbs and protein with little fat. If you want healthy fats, keep a small jar of peanut butter in the cooler and use some fast food spoons to eat a scoop or two.

Make sure to rinse that damn cup out or your kitchen will smell like ass until the dishwasher is done running.

Homemade sandwiches are your friend as well in these cases. I could inhale a sandwich from the time it took to grab a tool from the work truck and walk back to the job site. Always make sure you have something work-related in your hand so it doesn't look like a lunch break - you're just utilizing your time. If you toss a sandwich and a shaker in your daily routine you're good money. Sometimes I would make half sandwiches and eat them every two hours - easier to crush in minimal time and, with sandwiches, you can easily manipulate macros. Wheat bread, overloaded with deli meat, lettuce, tomato, low-fat cheese, etc.

If you're stopping for gas somewhere or to use the restroom, you can always get some milk and use that in a shaker with protein in a pinch. Or dump the protein in the milk container and shake. Carbs from the milk can replace the oats. We would go half on a bag of protein and a big tub of oats from your favorite wholesale grocer from time to time just to look out. Only do the milk thing in the Winter, though. Get some Dollar Store, plastic measuring cups to put in the oatmeal container if you're keeping the supplies on the truck. Otherwise, just dump your stuff in the shaker before work and bring with you ready to mix with bottled water.

Vanilla protein in a Gatorade was done by some but I couldn't stomach it on the regular.

Drinking a bottle of water an hour is a must, maybe two if it's a heat advisory day or there's no shade. Gatorade is essential for cramping when it's wild hot outside because of electrolyte replacement.

None of this shit is optimal, but it does work.

Two shaker cups and a sandwich and you're potentially looking at 120-150g of both carbs and protein. Sometimes better than most of us eat on the weekend when we can cook all our shit. Minimal cooler space needed for this also. Warm or room temperature water even works better with the shaker - cold water doesn't mix as well.

Hope this helps a bit!
I actually do the sandwich thing often! Idk about the gatorade and whey haha

kid666

kid666

VIP Member
Jan 28, 2011
Been an HVAC Tech in Fla for the past 23 years.... 160 degree attics sweating my dick off ... drink 120 ozs water daily if not more plus a few gatorades . I bring my lunch everyday...Always have. Pack it the night before. Im always grabbing a protein bar or 2 during the day on the road if im in a pinch.

Determined

Determined

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2012
My on the go shake was raw oatmeal blended up with some coconut oil and whey protein.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic