Latest Member
Ethan7400
What's New?

Want to Compete

S

SGC

Jul 12, 2017
Good Morning,

I've been training on and off for the past 10 years or so. In the last 2 years I've been powerlifting however I have this strange itch to compete in a bodybuilding competition. I wanted to see if there was a specific template competitors follow as far as "best practices" etc. I want to form some habit building ideals to so I don't look to compete until next summer.

I'm essentially looking for training/cardio to gain mass, and then when to transition heavy weights, sets, reps, into the contest prep. I understand it is a big undertaking to ask for.

Similarly, I'll be looking way "deeper" into the nutrition side of this.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
I don't "drop" the heavy weight training until I'm 4-6wks out from show day. If you cut for BBing and DON'T train heavy as long as possible you will lose muscle at a greater rate than if you DO train heavy. I let the onset on tendonitis in my forearms be a rough guide. When using the "drier" gear for prep (less or no conversion to estrogen) your joints take a pounding.

WK 6-4: Lower the weights when form fails but don't ever just "go thru the motions"
Last week or 10days, you can "go thru the motions" but it's only because depletion of glycogen is the game at that point.

S

SGC

Jul 12, 2017
Thanks man. I'm looking for I guess a basic outline of what people normally do. Do they start with extremely high reps, work themselves into hypertrophy then into strength/power. Or start in strength/power (or with what you eluded to have it mixed in still) and then into hypertrophy etc. I'm really just looking for philosophies a year out and gearing up to contest prep.

Also, I don't use gear. Can't afford to run it properly right now. Hopefully in the future if I decide to.

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
I don't know for sure, but I would think a combination. 5/3/1

If not using gear I'd compete in drug-free meets.

LITTLEMAGS

LITTLEMAGS

VIP Member
Nov 1, 2010
I train the same way off season as I do for a show. ONLY difference is I might add some extra/ different angle movements the last few weeks. I NEVER advise on dropping weights and always stay heavy...with SAFETY in mind though. Like Mike said....your joints take a beating and your will be tired from cardio and dieting. THE difference between first place and 3rd is usually BIG (especially at the state level)

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic