Threads
Members
Latest Member
scottmt77

Looking for some input on knee wraps

Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara

Jun 14, 2016
I've got a meet coming up later this year where I'll be competing in the raw classic 220's. I'd really love to break into the 600's on squat at this meet. I squatted 500lbs a couple months ago in sleeves only and 550lbs with the regular blue Slingshot wraps. Going by recent performance I'd say I'm slightly ahead of that at the moment. These are the only knee wraps I've ever used, by the way. Had them for about three years now.

I'm a low bar squatter, although mid bar might be more accurate because my shoulder mobility is terrible. Stance is slightly wider than shoulder width. Fast descent relying heavily on rebound.

Like I said I get around 50lbs from the Slingshot wraps wrapping them myself without going too crazy pre rolling them. I'm looking for something I can get 75lbs or so out of. Something more on the rebound side than stopping power seems like the way to go for me based on my squatting style and the research I've done.

I've had my eye on the Powerbelly Executioners for a long time, but they've been out of stock for over a year. Currently I'm considering the Pioneer Lillebridge wraps as my next choice.

Anybody here got any experience or advice on some wraps that might be a good choice for me?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
If you get 50lbs from self wrapping, you'll get MORE when you have someone wrap you. You should have someone really wrap you so you can feel what a 100% wraps feels like. How old are those wraps of yours?

Guy I train with has the new pioneer lillebridge wraps and likes them A LOT. He says they have more rebound then the sig golds which have been my favorites.

I'd also ask Ramrod since he's done MANY reviews of knee wraps. He could offer you some advice. Per his advice, I'm trying the KiwiStrength StrongMofos.

Last edited:
Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara

Jun 14, 2016
If you get 50lbs from self wrapping, you'll get MORE when you have someone wrap you. You should have someone really wrap you so you can feel what a 100% wraps feels like. How old are those wraps of yours?

Guy I train with has the new pioneer lillebridge wraps and likes them A LOT. He says they have more rebound then the sig golds which have been my favorites.

I'd also ask Ramrod since he's done MANY reviews of knee wraps. He could offer you some advice. Per his advice, I'm trying the KiwiStrength StrongMofos.

My original ones are about three years old. I bought a second pair of the same ones before my last meet I've only used a handful of times.

I don't really have anyone to wrap me. I live in a rural area and don't know anyone else in real life that actually trains for real. Plus I'm traveling 3-4 hours minimum for meets, so it would be hard to get anyone to go with me anyway to wrap me at a meet. Probably going to invest in one of those wrap rollers before my next meet because pre rolling them and wrapping them myself is exhausting.

The Lillebridge ones are number one on my list right now.

I'll go ahead and tag @Ramrod as I've read some of his reviews. I'd love to hear his opinion on it.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
I use Strengthshop Odin wraps.

Stiffest I've ever used and just got my first 600 plus (610) competition squat last month.

Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara

Jun 14, 2016
I use Strengthshop Odin wraps.

Stiffest I've ever used and just got my first 600 plus (610) competition squat last month.

More stopping power than rebound? Do you squat wide with a slow descent?

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
If your looking for more rebound then stopping power.

The Pioneer Lilliebridge's are a good choice. I'm not a fast squatter so I never got a lot out of them. But they are a solid wrap and a good choice for you.
I'd watch ordering from PBG. I haven't heard much good from the CS. Crazy Slow Shipping and never answer E-mails or the Phone. When I was on vacation in FL. I arranged to meet up with them and check their stuff out. I got ahold of them the day before. So they knew I was there. I stayed in town for 6 days. The first 3 and the last day I called and texted. Never answered back. That's been about a year ago. I've reached out a few times since then. Nothing... Since then I have ran into a few guys that have been ripped off by them. Waiting months for products or trying to get refunds.

The Executioners look like the same material as the Pioneer Commanders and the APT Convicts. But I'm not 100% Sure.

Another deciding factor is Length. You want the max length your allowed in your Federation. With rebound style wrap they are all pretty much ok for 2.0 and up. The stiffer wrap you get the longer the better. Specially for a self wrapper.

Also if your self wrapping and using a roller. Buy 2 sets and have both sets pre-wrapped before your squat in meets. If you lose grip and drop a wrap 30sec before your lift. YOUR F*CKED.. If you have 2 extra wraps pre-rolled. Gives you 2 extra lives.

Pioneer Fitness Commander's
Pioneer Lilliebridge's
APT Contict's
APT KWB6 Black Thin Red Heavys (same as Commanders and Convicts)
StrongHouseProject Savage's
Kiwi-Strength Supreme Super duper's
Iron Rebel- Rhino's (can be a little slick-use chalk)
Titan Signature Gold's

I have some of these for sale too. So if your interested let me know.

P.S. - Also APT has been AWOL of over a year. His site came back it seems, but I have heard of anyone actually ordering yet.

Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara

Jun 14, 2016
If your looking for more rebound then stopping power.

The Pioneer Lilliebridge's are a good choice. I'm not a fast squatter so I never got a lot out of them. But they are a solid wrap and a good choice for you.
I'd watch ordering from PBG. I haven't heard much good from the CS. Crazy Slow Shipping and never answer E-mails or the Phone. When I was on vacation in FL. I arranged to meet up with them and check their stuff out. I got ahold of them the day before. So they knew I was there. I stayed in town for 6 days. The first 3 and the last day I called and texted. Never answered back. That's been about a year ago. I've reached out a few times since then. Nothing... Since then I have ran into a few guys that have been ripped off by them. Waiting months for products or trying to get refunds.

The Executioners look like the same material as the Pioneer Commanders and the APT Convicts. But I'm not 100% Sure.

Another deciding factor is Length. You want the max length your allowed in your Federation. With rebound style wrap they are all pretty much ok for 2.0 and up. The stiffer wrap you get the longer the better. Specially for a self wrapper.

Also if your self wrapping and using a roller. Buy 2 sets and have both sets pre-wrapped before your squat in meets. If you lose grip and drop a wrap 30sec before your lift. YOUR F*CKED.. If you have 2 extra wraps pre-rolled. Gives you 2 extra lives.

Pioneer Fitness Commander's
Pioneer Lilliebridge's
APT Contict's
APT KWB6 Black Thin Red Heavys (same as Commanders and Convicts)
StrongHouseProject Savage's
Kiwi-Strength Supreme Super duper's
Iron Rebel- Rhino's (can be a little slick-use chalk)
Titan Signature Gold's

I have some of these for sale too. So if your interested let me know.

P.S. - Also APT has been AWOL of over a year. His site came back it seems, but I have heard of anyone actually ordering yet.

I tore part of a fingernail off at my second meet after dropping my wrap and rushing to get it on. If money allows I'll go with that two pairs idea.

I might be interested in one of those first three you mentioned as I'm more familiar with them from the research I've done.

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
Some great advice so far as I too have benefitted. One more tip that may be obvious to vets, but how many don't follow it. Compete the exact way you train. If you wrap your own at the gym...wrap them yourself at the meet. If you train with 2 meter wraps then compete with 2 meter wraps.

On two different occasions yours truly thought he would get a boost from once saving his 3ms for the meet and the other having a buddy wrap. Both were disasters...lost feeling in my right leg the one time and nearly fell over the other.

You see timing is huge when it comes to knee wraps. You cant start too early particularly with 3's or your leg goes numb...to late and you may not make it to the platform on time or be rushed. Do not underestimate the importance of timing.

Obviously you can get more from 3's and a buddy wrapping, but I like running 2's and wrapping myself. However, I like the control and aint chasing big numbers.

Good luck bro,
Hawk

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic