Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Knee; Post op

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
well, doc said my knee was a mess and worse than the MRI lead them to believe. The cartilage looked all jacked up and the meniscus tear was larger than they had anticipated. I went from being weight bearing the day of the surgery, to 1 month before I can walk/bear weight. I figured this was going to happen. Based on what the doc and MRI showed initially, it seemed way too small based on my clinical assessment and my pain description. He also stated that the arthritis appeared to be further along as well.

All this is so odd, because I don't train my legs really heavy, but he said my knees look like I have been training heavy for many years. This sucks!

This is going to be a long recovery. :(

Warrior45

Warrior45

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 9, 2012
I was dreading opening this thread in fear of a pic of your knee post op.....

Glad you got it done successfully ....you will be back in no time.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
I was dreading opening this thread in fear of a pic of your knee post op.....

Glad you got it done successfully ....you will be back in no time.

It was arthroscopic, so all there is to see are three tiny slits. I dont typically post gore pics out of respect for those that can't stomach it too. ;)

TheSpectre

TheSpectre

MuscleHead
May 4, 2013
A month? Tear must have been severe. I've gotta get my right knee worked on. Tore quadriceps tendon completely, 40% ACL tear, meniscus, patella tendon damage. May be another year before I can squat heavy. I hope you heal fast.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
A month? Tear must have been severe. I've gotta get my right knee worked on. Tore quadriceps tendon completely, 40% ACL tear, meniscus, patella tendon damage. May be another year before I can squat heavy. I hope you heal fast.

There was some really nasty deformity and damage done to the cartilage that was on the MRI, but it looked minor until he opened me up. That's where a lot of the issue was. The ACL actually wasn't bad, and the meniscus was moderate.

It's my understanding, if you have a partial tear, you want to have that fixed before it becomes a full tear. I think recovery is a huge difference between those two stages. Get that fixed!

R

Rockyone40

Dec 12, 2013
I had the same type of surgery last year and I train my legs. If you do as the doctor says you will be back soon.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
So what will your knee be like once you are recovered? Will you be in less pain? Able to train legs, etc?

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
So what will your knee be like once you are recovered? Will you be in less pain? Able to train legs, etc?

I will never be able to do any intense resistance work, but the plan is to at least get me back to some balance. Before I had my surgery, my legs weren't even strong enough to squat with 95lbs, they had atrophied that much.

I

IronGedney

May 11, 2015
Hi guys, I'm currently waiting to have surgery on my knee, I'm having pins removed and some cartilage shaved off,I blew my knee a year ago, this is my third op on it. I'm hoping in a few months I can start going light with legs and build up

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic