Threads
Members
Latest Member
Ethan7400

New to powerlifting, point-five-oh

Solodshot

Solodshot

Apr 28, 2014
So I posted on here a while back now, asking for advice on getting in to powerlifting, and the general advice I got was lift big, eat big. So I started lifting as heavy as I could and it turns out I got that wrong too. My other struggle was getting food in, jus haven't got a frigging clue about what to eat and when.

I've been watching a lot of videos, reading articles or watching/listening to interviews with the Lilliebridge guys. I'd love to have them kind of stats and still keep my body fat below 15%.

So with that any advice that you guys have would be really appreciated, mainly on what program to follow and what and when to eat. Sorry for the ultra noob questions I jus haven't a scooby what to do.

Thanks guys

Solodshot

Solodshot

Apr 28, 2014
Jus realised this is the wrong section if admin could delete for me I'll post where it should be

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Keep it simple. A lot of people new to the sport tend to be very good at overcomplicating things.

** Lots of good quality foods and organic where possible
** Train consistently ~ and follow a program to the letter for the best part of a year before you decide to switch
** Don't hit max lifts too often and schedule regular deload weeks to allow optimal recovery and muscular/CNS adaptation
** Set yourself small goals periodically and write down one big goal, don't let anything deter you along the way. The small goals are great stepping stones to the big one which for me was nearly always the total I wanted to hit at my next meet
** Surround yourself with people that are likeminded, best case scenario is to train at a PL'ing gym or at least where there are lots of strong guys regularly smashing themselves

FWIW, I actually learnt a lot from watching these two DVD's; they are very instructional and Stan covers a lot about technique :D

1322596928.png

images

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
The best thing anyone can do is to go to a local meet or two and find out who the best team in the area is. Go train with them.

Seriously. It doesn't matter what program they follow- follow it.

It doesn't matter how far away they are - make the drive. Show up, do what you are told, and out work everyone.

I researched everything, followed a program and worked my butt off with a good training partner. After 6 years I totaled around 1500. After 6 months with the Frantz team I put up a total around 1800. In 2 years I was close to 2200 drug free. My current team is an hour away and I make the drive 4 times a week. Yes, I'm married, have a full time job, and I didn't miss training while working and doing grad school at night - if you want it enough you'll do it. My current team has taken me to around 2500. I'm not putting in weekends where I'll make a 16 hour round trip to lift at Westside because I'm confident that they can get me to the next step.

Seriously, don't waste your time reinventing the wheel. There are teams everywhere. If you can't find one I could probably help.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
When you hear the phrase "eat and etc" its easy to get complicated.

What is your height, weight, and current BF%? How long have you been lifting for ?

The same thing goes for "lift heavy" It can get confusing. Its hard to lift at 90% or more week after week without getting beat up and starting to go backwards.

There are a lot of strength programs around that you can choose. What does your current workout setup look like? How often are you going heavy? How often are you taking a de load or easier week?

Having training partners makes such a big difference like Porky stated. If you can find someone to train with I think it would help you a lot. I know this might sound funny, but just having another person training towards the same goal puts off a motivated type feeling.

any1uno

any1uno

MuscleHead
Dec 22, 2010
surround yourself with the Powerlifters in your area. If there are no PLers near you...Porky made a great suggestion. Watch a meet and see if it stirs the fire inside of you. I know I was intimidated by the Plers in the corner of my old gym. Till the coach started noticing that I had a good DL and a strong back. He invited me over. It was love at first site...The SPORT not the coach Geez! (Remember I am non-broke back here!)

It's an addiction and one I'm forever proud of taking up. Good luck..you'll be hooked forever.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic