Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Fuel for morning workout.

19Norris

19Norris

Feb 5, 2023
Certainly a possibility on being placebo. At one point I felt like it helped give me a slight extra "push" on things, but that could easily just be mental state or any number of other actual things. I'll experiment a bit more with it now that you mention it. Thanks for the intra recommendation. I'll take a look. So far, plain old Jasmine rice as soon as I wake up and a tablespoon of honey immediately pre-workout seems to be helping more than anything I've tried so far.. but I also think there's a good deal of just getting used to exertion that early in the morning.

I would try something with quite a bit more sugar content instead of rice personally. It gets utilized a lot quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
Update on this. Majority of difficulty was mostly just transitioning to morning workouts in general. Cup of rice about two hours before workout when I get up (4:30am) and then one tablespoon of honey 15 minutes before. Depending on how it's going, I then do 1/2 or another 1 tablespoon of honey again during workout. Going fairly well. Once fully transitioned, I may work towards adapting to working out fasted. Not sure I'll be able to get away with this, as I've been in overall caloric deficit over a year.

19Norris

19Norris

Feb 5, 2023
Update on this. Majority of difficulty was mostly just transitioning to morning workouts in general. Cup of rice about two hours before workout when I get up (4:30am) and then one tablespoon of honey 15 minutes before. Depending on how it's going, I then do 1/2 or another 1 tablespoon of honey again during workout. Going fairly well. Once fully transitioned, I may work towards adapting to working out fasted. Not sure I'll be able to get away with this, as I've been in overall caloric deficit over a year.
At least do some cream of wheat or something and enjoy yourself a little bro lol. Cream of wheat with some honey or maple syrup is the shit

lifter6973

lifter6973

Jul 3, 2021
Tried to search around here and didn't find much. Google is a wasteland. Reddit can sometimes be helpful, but quality answers are more likely here. I've recently switched over to morning workouts (6AM), which means I don't have much time to get something eaten and digested before getting to the gym. Today was my first morning workout. I was fasted with exception to one tablespoon of honey. I did alright until I hit my second superset and then fell off a cliff. From that point, it was sheer will and couldn't get to my third sets due to being faint and slightly nauseous. Doesn't help that this cycle is high rep and short rest, something which I have not yet gotten accustomed. Anyway, does anyone have a good, simple recommendation for fueling pre-workout that can be digested and usable within one to one-and-a-half hours? Am I over-complicating this and just need to eat a fucking banana (would explain the lack of results here)?
Maybe already mentioned but ECA stack will be working within 15 min and last well past your WO.
As far as food, Id say some eggs and maybe some ham and then some fruit. Works for me at least.

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
At least do some cream of wheat or something and enjoy yourself a little bro lol. Cream of wheat with some honey or maple syrup is the shit

I have vague memories of cream of wheat and brown sugar, but I must persist. I must... reach... 8%. Then everything will be alright. Everything will be perfect.

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
Maybe already mentioned but ECA stack will be working within 15 min and last well past your WO.
As far as food, Id say some eggs and maybe some ham and then some fruit. Works for me at least.

I'd actually love to use it, but I'm concerned about blood pressure. It's alright, but not great... and I feel that may elevate it a bit more than comfortable.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
I don't typically eat before my morning workout but my first meal of the day is almost always bacon, sausage, eggs or steak. Or some combination thereof.

Kluso

Kluso

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2022
Wow! 2 scoops would have me flying lol!

@Kluso Yeah, it’s a good idea to ramp down. Not only for your heart health, but your blood pressure must be spiking. Maybe switch to just caffeine tabs. You’ll save a lot of money and you’ll know what you’re taking. Those proprietary blends make me hesitant because who knows the amounts being used of each stimulant compound.
Oh, I take those at lunchtime. Usually two 200mg. Two different kinds. It’s bad. I actually decided to start going to bed early and try to get 8hrs of sleep on weekdays. That means 8pm bedtime. I get up at 4am to hit the gym before work. I usually only get 5-6hrs. Now, that’s time in bed. My Oura Ring says I only get maybe 4hrs of actual sleep. So I’m gonna try going to bed 2 hrs earlier and hope for a good 6hrs of sleep. I gotta make some changes. I’m just spinning wheels right now and I’m trying to add more size and that’s not gonna happen if I’m not getting enough sleep. I am making progress just not as much as I could with proper sleep and recovery. I might even be able to increase how many days I train. Right now it’s only 4 days a week. And only 45-60min long. Lol. Any more and I can’t recover. I started Tuesday and so far it’s not making much of a difference in energy levels. I’m guessing it’s gonna take some time. Haven’t really dropped the stims much yet either. I have but it seems like still a lot I guess. Work in progress.

Oh and I take extra BP meds to compensate. Thanks to Beef actually. Lol. But blood pressure stays good.

Last edited:
Kluso

Kluso

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2022
I wake up at 4:30 and am at the gym by 5. With my work/family/life schedule now, I either hit the gym then, or I'm not going. Been this way for a few years now. Even if I have a random night with nothing on the schedule after work - I'm too tired for the gym, and get a better workout early AM.

Cutting - just black coffee
Bulking - add small bowl of cereal

I honestly don't notice much of a difference in workouts with eating vs not eating. I always have a protien smoothie about an hour before bed. I eat just for some easy extra calories during a bulk.
This is me!

L

lamarclark09

Mar 13, 2023
I usually fill myself up with coffee but occasionally I also have protein shakes or bars whatever is convenient for me.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic