Ethan7400
What's New?

Double hip replacement recovery

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
A bit off-topic, or maybe not .....

Wife has had both KNEE replacements, and everything has been good for years. Those require titanium spare parts. She was advised from the getgo to take an antibiotic before ANY* other medical procedure later on ... to ward off minor infections that might cause tissue rejection from the replacement surgery.

* this includes something as minor as having teeth cleaned.

Is it the same for hip replacements?

This seems to be common knowledge enough that my Wife's dentist prescribes the antibiotic nowadays with no argument, but I'm not sure about knees vs. hips.
Yes, you need to take an anti-biotic prior to any dental work. If you have an infection in your gums and they go digging around in it, it can get into your blood stream and replacement parts for hips, knees., etc etc are prone to infection. Last thing you want is an inf. part. You will be hospitalized, high doses given through an IV hoping to kill the inf. which usually doesn't work. They will then removed the replacement parts, more IV anti-biotics, parts cleaned or new parts used, once everything shows zero infection present they will put everything back together and hope for the best. If infection comes back, which there is a high chance of, parts are removed and you will have to live that way. Not sure how a hip functions without a hip joint but it can't be good. You need to take ALL pre-cautions when it comes to keeping your replacement parts from getting inf. I am very fortunate in that my immune system is very strong. The only place I've ever got an inf. is in my gums.

~R~F~G~

~R~F~G~

VIP Member
Dec 13, 2022
Yes, you need to take an anti-biotic prior to any dental work. If you have an infection in your gums and they go digging around in it, it can get into your blood stream and replacement parts for hips, knees., etc etc are prone to infection. Last thing you want is an inf. part. You will be hospitalized, high doses given through an IV hoping to kill the inf. which usually doesn't work. They will then removed the replacement parts, more IV anti-biotics, parts cleaned or new parts used, once everything shows zero infection present they will put everything back together and hope for the best. If infection comes back, which there is a high chance of, parts are removed and you will have to live that way. Not sure how a hip functions without a hip joint but it can't be good. You need to take ALL pre-cautions when it comes to keeping your replacement parts from getting inf. I am very fortunate in that my immune system is very strong. The only place I've ever got an inf. is in my gums.
Couple years ago, I had a Pacemaker/Defibrillator swap out for a new battery. Well, ended up with a hematoma and quite the blowout under there. Ended up in the ICU for 10 days on every antibiotic under the sun. They had to go in and completely clean the pocket out and install a new one. While there the new Doc decided the old Doc from 2011 went overboard and I didn't need it, So he asked me if I wanted it out. Fuck yes. lol.

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
Couple years ago, I had a Pacemaker/Defibrillator swap out for a new battery. Well, ended up with a hematoma and quite the blowout under there. Ended up in the ICU for 10 days on every antibiotic under the sun. They had to go in and completely clean the pocket out and install a new one. While there the new Doc decided the old Doc from 2011 went overboard and I didn't need it, So he asked me if I wanted it out. Fuck yes. lol.
I had an Uncle who was one of the first recipients of a defibrillator. He had it in for maybe a wk. and the damn thing started to fire over and over for no reason. He said the pain was horrible. He ended up having it taken out and refused to have a new one put in.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic