Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

NFL Niners vs Dallas

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
The secondary in Romo's days was pathetic like worst in the league. Today's Cowboys are better in the secondary but their cornerback situation was dicey as their top 2 after Diggs were out for the season. They never really got a consistent second corner in there.
Diggs played so soft. He missed tackles and then was just bumping guys, not wrapping them up. I was 6' 135 lbs and coach would make me do 50 burpees for ever tackle I made I did not wrap em up and I never made varsity. I never did 1 set., I hit with everything my skinny body had. Diggs wants to interrupt passes and get INTs but not tackle.

lifter6973

lifter6973

Jul 3, 2021
Diggs played so soft. He missed tackles and then was just bumping guys, not wrapping them up. I was 6' 135 lbs and coach would make me do 50 burpees for ever tackle I made I did not wrap em up and I never made varsity. I never did 1 set., I hit with everything my skinny body had. Diggs wants to interrupt passes and get INTs but not tackle.
yeah that didn't work out too well for him this year. However, QBs don't test him very often.

I think QBs actually should because he does take chances. I don't think its really 50/50. More like 25/75 you can get over the top of him for a huge gain because he is trying to jump short routes for the INT. A receiver with a killer double move will smoke him.

Most defenses have their weakness in the secondary. The Cowboys haven't really had a strong secondary since the days of Deion, Darren Woodson, James Washington/Larry Brown :D and Kevin Smith to name a few from the 90s. Of course Deion wasn't much of a tackler either.

M

Massive G

VIP Member
Apr 10, 2020
The eagles will be tough they are a great team deservedly so by their # 1 seed. Purdy did well against Dallas. I am sure that helped him get more experience since he is in uncharted territory for a rookie. If the niners D can shake up JH they can pull this one out for a superbowl rematch with Cincinnati. I don't think Mahomes will be his usual first down running self .
But we will see.

BD Cool

BD Cool

VIP Member
Dec 1, 2011
Agreed. Diggs avoids contact as much as any player I've ever seen.

lifter6973

lifter6973

Jul 3, 2021
The eagles will be tough they are a great team deservedly so by their # 1 seed. Purdy did well against Dallas. I am sure that helped him get more experience since he is in uncharted territory for a rookie. If the niners D can shake up JH they can pull this one out for a superbowl rematch with Cincinnati. I don't think Mahomes will be his usual first down running self .
But we will see.
I change my mind on winner of this one coming up. I expect Philly will win. I won't be surprised if Purdy looks like shit and the Eagles cornerbacks actually make him pay for his mistakes by securing the INT when presented the opportunity.

M

Massive G

VIP Member
Apr 10, 2020
I change my mind on winner of this one coming up. I expect Philly will win. I won't be surprised if Purdy looks like shit and the Eagles cornerbacks actually make him pay for his mistakes by securing the INT when presented the opportunity.
Or the niners defense pounds the shit out of JH. Just saying.....

kid666

kid666

VIP Member
Jan 28, 2011
Romo never had a team, he was a great QB but his O line was as easy to get through as the Texas border and on D they always had 1 descent corner and no thing else. Romo read the field, Dak sees stuff so slow and that was a winnable game. Daks 2 INTs which were STUPID and bad coaching doomed them.
What !!!! Bad O line. LOL What were you watching? Romo retired in 2015 .. He did nothing with the most dominating O Line in the NFL.
The Cowboys offensive line of Doug Free (68), Zack Martin (70), Ronald Leary (65), Travis Frederick (72) and Tyron Smith (77) was once the most dominating unit in the NFL. From 2014 to 2017, Dallas owned the unquestioned best offensive line in football, featuring multiple future Hall of Famers, All-Pros and Pro Bowlers.

lifter6973

lifter6973

Jul 3, 2021
What !!!! Bad O line. LOL What were you watching? Romo retired in 2015 .. He did nothing with the most dominating O Line in the NFL.
The Cowboys offensive line of Doug Free (68), Zack Martin (70), Ronald Leary (65), Travis Frederick (72) and Tyron Smith (77) was once the most dominating unit in the NFL. From 2014 to 2017, Dallas owned the unquestioned best offensive line in football, featuring multiple future Hall of Famers, All-Pros and Pro Bowlers.
I think you are overrating them a bit. Tyron Smith was the best of the group at that time and at an all-pro level. Zack Martin I suppose you could put him in the conversation at that time as well but he was very young.

The rest of them I would say were better than average. Leary had his best year in I want to say 2014 or 2016 and really got the opportunity after initially playing as a backup. I always thought Frederick was bit overrated and Free was underrated. To me they both brought about the same value to the table.

Together yeah, its hard to call them a bad O-Line.

Also, Romo retired after the 2016 season. I believe Free retired after 2016 season as well.

Last edited:
jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
I am schooled. I was incorrect. Romo had a good O line and a terrible D.

lifter6973

lifter6973

Jul 3, 2021
I am schooled. I was incorrect. Romo had a good O line and a terrible D.
100% accurate. That D was horrendous minus Ware and 1 or 2 others and Ware was gone after 2013. Earlier in his time with the Cowboys, the O-Line was not as good for Romo as it was later on but I can remember a few guys like Leonard Davis that kicked butt for a few years early on. Flozell Adams was decent too as was Columbo.

One of those 8-8 years they had under Garrett they got beat by Denver, 2013 I believe. When you score 48 points in a game and lose, your defense fucking sucks.

I know Denver and Manning had a great year in 2013 but still that game epitomized what many of the Cowboys teams were with Romo at the helm.

Last edited:
M

Massive G

VIP Member
Apr 10, 2020
I still remember the time Romo and the cowboys went into Seattle and kicked their ass. Their offensive line was like a stone wall. I think that's when Romo was taking a pain shot in lumbar to play. I used to hate Seattle so bad then.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic