Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Smoke a Turkey....Good or Bad Idea? Recipes?

Pig Vomit

Pig Vomit

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2022
Yesterday I mentioned to everyone gathered that perhaps I could smoke a turkey for Christmas.

I have not looked into this, recipes, methods, etc. Wondering if anyone here would pass long their own personal experiences with smoking a Turkey and any websites they could point me to for recipes/methods.

I have a large vertical smoker which would hold most turkeys, so size isn't an issue. Priority is not only good flavor, but moist as well.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I have an electric smoker. For me that is the best way to do it, because it is almost a fire and forget.

I usually do a 17-18 lbs turkey and it takes around 11-12 hours to smoke. I smoke it at 275 degrees for the first four hours, because I am in the Midwest and even in the garage it is usually like 40-45 degrees out and I want to make sure the turkey reaches an internal temperature of 140 degrees by the four hour mark. Then I smoke it at 225 degrees after. I apply apple wood chips at the beginning and at the two hour mark. Any more than that and it becomes too smokey.

I stuff the turkey with an apple and onion quartered, half a stick of butter and a tablespoon of minced garlic. I cut up the rest of the stick of butter and just strategically placed 1/2 tables spoon pats on top of the bird. Then I sprinkle it with garlic salt. Sometimes I will baste it with Dr. Pepper. I didn't this year and no one even noticed, so I probably won't do it anymore.

I smoke it breast down directly on the rack. I place a pan on the rack below it to catch all the drippings.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
I've only smoked a turkey once, and it was good. But I don't think it was any better than a turkey in the oven, and I love the smell of turkey filling the house!

I've got a vertical propane smoker, and my bird was about 14 pounds, and smoked as little as 5 hours and was complete. I injected it with a butter, bullion broth mix, so it was plenty juicy. Just rubbed the skin with salt and pepper.

The one negative is that I really like stuffing in the bird, and I didn't think we could do that in the smoker. Stuffing in the bird comes out great when done in the oven. Overall, a positive experience, but I'm not sure I'll do it again soon.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
I smoke all my turkeys....i'll never do it any other way. Oven-baked turkey is like comparing a moped to a Ferrari, lol.

It's super easy. I did mine different this year and skinned it. I used this recipe below.....FANFUCKINTASTIC!

I brined mine because it was a 21.5# turkey (Used Alton Brown's Honey turkey brine recipe with a few other things added in). Took it out of the brine, skinned it, Spatchcoked it, then I injected it with butter and Louisiana Hot Sauce. I used my own homemade seasoning, but Mississippi Grind, that was used in the video, is awesome too if you get it. I actually separated the thigs/leg from the breast. Threw it on my RecTec at 275F until it hit ~125F, then threw it into my pan with butter drizzled over it, along with McCormick's Poultry Seasoning. Foiled it up, threw it in the oven at 275F until it hit 155F. Took it off, then added the same glaze as the video (ACV & Hot Sauce), stuck it back in the smoker until it hit 160F.

I think i'm going to skin mine from now on going forward. Not worth the hassle. If you have a drum smoker, or if you fry it, it may be worth keeping it on. Otherwise, it's just a hassle wondering if it will come off crispy or rubbery. If it's rubbery, then you end up losing all your seasoning when you take it off.

It doesn't have to be so extensive as above though.....brine it for 12-24 hours, take it put and dry it off, spatchcock it and skin it if you want, season it, then throw it on a smoker until it hits 160F. Take it off the grill, and let it sit for 30-45 minutes before carving it. For me, spatchcocking it shortens cooking, keeps it moist, and cooks it more evenly. Just cut out the back bone, and then crack/push down on the collarbone to flatten it. It's not that much work with a huge benefit, imo.

For me, an ideal turkey is 15-18# for best moisture. I injected mine this time because 1) It was 21.5#, and 2) I wanted to try something new. Too small, and there is not enough meat; too big, and you run the risk of drying pout the meat with longer cooking times. I'll say this though, overcooking a smoked turkey is still way better than overcooking an oven-baked turkey.

Here are my pics....

1) Brine solution.
2 and 3) posty-injecting, and seasoned before placing in smoker.
4) Either after smoking before the oven, or after the oven.
5) Dark and white meat separated.

Attachments

• Brine.jpg
    Brine.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Turkey 1.jpg
    Turkey 1.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Turkey 2.jpg
    Turkey 2.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Turkey 3.jpg
    Turkey 3.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Turkey 4.jpg
    Turkey 4.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
More....

1) Dark meat. It was FULL, but I did not snap a pic until after people had their plates loaded, lol.
2) Same with white meat.
3) My plate....had 2 of these....yes, I throw down. lol.
4) Anbother of the dark meat.
5 Dessert. I had 2 plates of this too.

Thursday morning was 250# on the dot. This morning, I was 252#. Only a 2# water weight gain, haha.

Gonna throw down today again though:D

Attachments

• Turkey 5.jpg
    Turkey 5.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Turkey 6.jpg
    Turkey 6.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Turkey 7.jpg
    Turkey 7.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Turkey 8.jpg
    Turkey 8.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 35
  • dessert.jpg
    dessert.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 44
MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
The above turkey took about maybe 2 hours to hit 125F, then the oven was close to an hour where it hit 155F, then maybe 45-60 minutes to hit 160F.

It probably would have only taken 3-4 hours total if I had just left it in the smoker to hit 160F. Tbis is using 275F for my temp.

A smaller bird, like my one from last year (17-19#), only took 2.5-3 hrs to hit 160F (spatchcocked as well). Last year I left the skin on and I think I used 275-300F for the temp.

Druss

Druss

Oct 23, 2022
For those that dont have a smoker you can cheat it by brining the turkey for 24 hours with liquid smoke (couple bottles), after you can fry it or roast it and tastes like it was smoked, which in a way it is as liquid smoke is made by passing smoke though water. Brining keeps it juicy and lets the liquid smoke penetrate.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
When I smoked my turkey I used about 50/50 apple/cherry wood. My brother smoked a turkey this year and used 80/20 apple/hickory. I could taste more of a "smoke" flavor with the hickory, but it wasn't too strong. Any advice on that?

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Definitely spatchcoke the turkey, cooks faster and stays moister imo.
Chose a wood you like, apple, cherry, pecan, hickory are all good choices.

I usually brine mine in Hefeweizen and some herbs and oranges, but do what you like.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
I've been using a lot of pecan lately. It's not overpowering, but it gives a good solid smoke flavor. It's awesome for poultry. It doesn't overly darken the meat either. That said, I like cherry, apple, maple and hickory. I use hickory and cherry for pork and red meats a lot more.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
I loosen the skin on the breast and thighs brine my turkey for 12-14 hours. Allowing the brine to penetrate the meat under the skin makes for a WAY more flavorful bird. I then rub it with butter and seasoning after brining. Rub it under the skin as well.
I melt butter with whole black peppercorns and salt. I get it just to the point of browning but don't let it boil. Get the salt dissolved and the black peppercorns get fragrant.

Inject the bird with the butter right before smoking breast up obviously. I do A LOT of butter!

I put a small aluminum pan of the raw turkey brine on one side or the other of my smoker. I keep it filled and I think the steam helps cook and add flavor, sure smells good. Just do not splash "unheated" brine on your bird.

Smoke 300 then I drop to 250 after 2 hours. Also after 2 hours I put the turkey in an aluminum pan to catch the drippings. I have done the loose parchment paper tent over and not. I can tell no diff. Pull when the bird is 180-182. I cover with foil and let rest 30 minutes before carving.

Never done a spatchcock bird like BMJ but I bet it would cook faster and looks awesome bro.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic