Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Mike Mentzer

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
. . . .Sometimes I wish I never started. then I see some of my high school classmates and I feel better.
Know the feeling. Probably not in my best interests, but temptation can be a bitch :confused:

Friggemall

Friggemall

VIP Member
Jun 16, 2020
My first show I had a bottle of Brovel Test, some Anapolons from South America and a bottle of Ganabol....A few Halos and some lasixs the week of the show. That was all everyone was on back then. And we didnt just do one show like the kids are doing today, did no less than 3 shows Spring-Fall.

Turning Pro today is so much easier with more opportunities, back in the day u either won the North American or had to win your weight class at Nationals. Now it seems every other show has an opportunity to earn a Pro Card. I stopped being a NPC judge when they changed the format to include guys in board shorts and all the other retarded divisions. I get why they did it but it just watered down the sport IMO.

The older guys at alot of the shows freely disclose what and how much they took to the younger competitors, yet they dont want to believe someone can get on stage with so little gear....I just laugh even though its pretty sad what they believe is true and the potential harm to their bodies.
I also think the gear was better back then and didn't require as much...well as much as some think they need. I've done a couple cycles up to 5g/week. (an experiment with multiple compounds and not something I'll ever do again). Didn't do any more for me than keeping it under 1,000 mg, except eat up cash.

Between the morons that think they can take something and grow without training & proper nutrition and the ones that think they need an entire pharmacy to get huge I just shake my head. Less is best.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
I also think the gear was better back then and didn't require as much...well as much as some think they need. I've done a couple cycles up to 5g/week. (an experiment with multiple compounds and not something I'll ever do again). Didn't do any more for me than keeping it under 1,000 mg, except eat up cash.

Between the morons that think they can take something and grow without training & proper nutrition and the ones that think they need an entire pharmacy to get huge I just shake my head. Less is best.
I completely agree with this. The gear (No matter the source) is just not the same anymore. I remember when the Iranian amps were going around here. 2 of those per week and a few pink 5s and everyone around me was gaining 25-30 pounds and dropping bodyfat. I went to disney back in like 2008 or 9 and had been on that cycle for just over 6 weeks and people were asking if I was a pro wrestler...lol (I had a certain look then). The gear even then was amazing. These days I can't even find real orals and the test seems to be 1/4 of what it was then.

myosin

myosin

VIP Member
May 27, 2011
COMPLETE failure... thats the key.... it wasn't to 12 reps max... partials, negatives, forced, etc... one set, TRUE nautilus style, took a LONG time

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
My first cycle was a 10CC bottle of 250MG steris test cyp with the old 1 CC a week, with 2 CC a week for weeks 5-6, and taper back down to 1CC for 7-8. That and 20mg of pink thai Dbol a day for the first 4 weeks. Packed on like 25 lbs, and got moved from Safety to Linebacker lol.

First time I ran fina from a conversion kit in the early 2000s it was 1CC/75mg M/W/F. Was strong, ripped, angry and ready to fuk anything that moved.

In my 30's in the 2010's when I was competing in powerlifting, I'd run 500mg test, 200mg deca and usually 20ishmg of dbol for last 4-6 weeks leading to the meet. Sometimes I'd drop the dbol and add a little halo just for meet week - especially if I was cutting weight.

I was shocked when I'd see guys who could barely bench 315 saying they were on a gram of test as a base. Early 2010's is at least when I started personally seeing guys taking stupid amounts of gear and not having the bodies or strength to show for it. When I started with gear late 90s/early 2000s, I was told by really large and strong humans to keep the whole stack to 1g a week tops.

Also - I was always told that Mentzer never used heavy duty during his olympia years?

Glycomann

Glycomann

VIP Member
Jan 19, 2011

Gear did seem stronger back then. Then again we were younger and probably more fit than today's youth. We were out playing sports in the yard from age 5 and pretty much all the sports through highschool and eyond. Point is today the kids are so much more guarded for their "safety". I just think, on average, they just aren't the same as the youth of our era. I'm sure my father and grandfather said the same, but hay, they had testosterone levels probably a lot higher back then before we were eating and breathing plastic and pesticides in everything.

Lil Ed

Lil Ed

VIP Member
Jul 15, 2011
allot of Deca is ok. as long as it wasn't allot of dick, many wont be able to that HIT protocol.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Always loved his physique. He always looked rock hard and dense. So many of the physiques in the 70s and 80s had that look. While I have no proof, it's my theory that the old school guys, at least compared to the guys in the 90s, "overtrained" and thus simply had greater muscle maturity. Remember hearing about the guys training in the gym for 4 hours, and blasting a body part with 4-5 different exercises of 5-6 sets each? Not saying it was the smart way to do it, but I think that the old school guys simply had thousands of more reps under their belt, and while it may have negatively contributed to their size, it sure gave the muscle a hard, dense look.

And you got to love the 70s mustache!! LOL

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I should name a new training regimen and sell it on youtube, call it "middle aged muscle" or something with just teasers and then sell the program and a few personal phone calls etc geared just towards your personal goals
make a couple more million.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic