Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Mike Mentzer

Jrod

Jrod

Jun 30, 2022
He said he only trained for two hours a week for the Mr Olympia.
Contrary to most bodybuilders who train for two to four hours 7 days a week, he claims he trained 30 min four days a week!
Either extremely great genetics or damn good routine! Probably both…

R

Restart

VIP Member
Jan 3, 2019
If I remember correctly him and his brother died under some strange circumstances. I find his regimen hard to believe. It's like Yates used less than a gram a week of test. Just me.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Mentzer's HIT could definitely be done in 30 minutes 4 times a week. My routine is pretty close to his when I am on a blast, except I will do 4-5 warm up sets where he just did 1-2. I don't have the confidence he did to go into a heavy to failure intensity set without a little more warm up.

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
If I remember correctly him and his brother died under some strange circumstances. I find his regimen hard to believe. It's like Yates used less than a gram a week of test. Just me.
Those who competed back then did in fact take less than a gram of gear a week. At my peak I took 600mg a week, it was 2 expensive 2 add more. My best friend turned Pro back in the 90s using 750mg a week. Genetics, training and food had a more important role than the type or amount of gear. We all were taking the same few items, some were lucky enough to get some European gear or items that Mexico didnt supply. I cringe when I hear the amount todays current Pros are injecting weekly....

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Those who competed back then did in fact take less than a gram of gear a week. At my peak I took 600mg a week, it was 2 expensive 2 add more. My best friend turned Pro back in the 90s using 750mg a week. Genetics, training and food had a more important role than the type or amount of gear. We all were taking the same few items, some were lucky enough to get some European gear or items that Mexico didnt supply. I cringe when I hear the amount todays current Pros are injecting weekly....
And although I have never agreed with FD before and likely will not again.(LOL) low dose was the name of the game because we never had these crazy amounts available AND certainly not the choices that are available now.
I used Bill Phillips Anabolic Reference Guide and still do low doses like the ones proposed in that book to this day.
Most just don't want to put in the work all they want is immediate (or sooner) gratification.
Mentzer came out with his "Heavy Duty" bullshit waaaay back and he had a great physique but I myself do not feel it was built by this method nor maintained by it.
He sold it as a book and program and made big bucks though.

M

Massive G

VIP Member
Apr 10, 2020
My first gym was a health spa opened up in the late 70s. It went through several owners by the time I was into serious training the owner let me work there for free membership. One day we found a couple of old boxes from 1982. There were some old flyers that had Casey Viator and Chris Dickerson on them that did a seminar there. We found a bunch of video tapes and one had the seminar recorded on it. Maybe it was jealousy but Casey said heavy duty was a scam he said Ray and Mike did a couple of exercises per body part and several different exercises. Especially for contests when they trained together.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
Yeah, you and I know this but it conflicts with the young peoples delusion. They firmly believe the only thing separating them from the Olympia stage is the amount of gear they can cram into their body. I personally have known local guys doing 2-4 grams of test and a gram of tren per week with GH and orals just to be the second or third biggest guy at their little shit box gym.

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
Yeah, you and I know this but it conflicts with the young peoples delusion. They firmly believe the only thing separating them from the Olympia stage is the amount of gear they can cram into their body. I personally have known local guys doing 2-4 grams of test and a gram of tren per week with GH and orals just to be the second or third biggest guy at their little shit box gym.

My first show I had a bottle of Brovel Test, some Anapolons from South America and a bottle of Ganabol....A few Halos and some lasixs the week of the show. That was all everyone was on back then. And we didnt just do one show like the kids are doing today, did no less than 3 shows Spring-Fall.

Turning Pro today is so much easier with more opportunities, back in the day u either won the North American or had to win your weight class at Nationals. Now it seems every other show has an opportunity to earn a Pro Card. I stopped being a NPC judge when they changed the format to include guys in board shorts and all the other retarded divisions. I get why they did it but it just watered down the sport IMO.

The older guys at alot of the shows freely disclose what and how much they took to the younger competitors, yet they dont want to believe someone can get on stage with so little gear....I just laugh even though its pretty sad what they believe is true and the potential harm to their bodies.

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
For me the difference between 400mgs and 1000 was a moderate increase in sides without any noticeable anabolic or androgenic benefit. Stacking derivatives of injectable testosterone and the additional oil required injecting two 3ml barrels on the same day. With that said, the gains I cannot attest to, but regard maintaining I find no difference at 100mg vs 400mgs, the sides are less, but not really significant, but less sides none the less.

Genetic Freaks, that what they are called for many valid reasons.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
For me the difference between 400mgs and 1000 was a moderate increase in sides without any noticeable anabolic or androgenic benefit. Stacking derivatives of injectable testosterone and the additional oil required injecting two 3ml barrels on the same day. With that said, the gains I cannot attest to, but regard maintaining I find no difference at 100mg vs 400mgs, the sides are less, but not really significant, but less sides none the less.

Genetic Freaks, that what they are called for many valid reasons.
Same here. I did a gram a test a week, because that is what people told me I needed to do. It only brought on more sides and not necessarily more gains. Now I don't run more than 700 mg a week total using 3 compounds and my gains far exceed a gram of test.

Glycomann

Glycomann

VIP Member
Jan 19, 2011
Back in the late 80s and early 90s use was soooo much less it is not believed by today's users, although there wre a few guys that went a little crazy with doses. A lot of us would do cycles even with a single compound. You had to sit back and collect to have a selection and that could take some time. In a way it was a good thing because you could see exactly what a compound did. Most of my use was very much low end. Too much and it would kill my endurance since I was primarily a grappler. Go to solo cycles were 15 mg/d winstrol, 250 mg/w EQ, one Sustanon a week, one deca a week. Later after retireing from competition things went up some and I experimented with probably around a gram, although I can't really remember doses in the peak year. Most of it was Mexican nandrolones and injectable dianabol and they were low concentration stuff. I might have been close to a gram a week. These days I'm probably use more than I did back then once a year. Peak now for me is 300 test: 300 Primo: 300 EQ. I'm either completely off or on a true TRT at least 6 months a year even in my early 60s. Sometimes I wish I never started. then I see some of my high school classmates and I feel better.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic