Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Crazy Schedule / Life Suggestions

C

celicaboy84

Nov 19, 2022
Good day to all you sexy bi*ches!!!

So I know we all have a different perspective, lifestyle, eating habits, finances blah blah. That's why I'm hoping to hear your personal approaches to my question here.

Currently, I am 302 lbs at 5'8 and working 65-90 hours a week. Usually 7 days a week but sometimes i get a vacation at 6 days a week. Often I work 12-16 hours a day. I usually don't get more than 5 hours sleep a day as I rarely don't have an 8 hour turn around. I work days, swings and nights so sleep and wake times are all over the place.

My job is not physical for the most part (I do Hospital Security so it's easy until it isn't).

I have recently decided to drop some weight and be healthier. You know, thwart potential diabetes, lower heart rate, lower blood pressure etc. I'm not interested in getting shredded. I would just like to retain as much muscle as possible and would honestly be pretty pumped about myself at 250 lbs.

Currently, I have started using my fitness pal and tracking food, I am also on a weight loss pill from my doctor called Alli (something along the lines of crapping out the fats i eat). I also hit the gym whenever I can, which seeing as I work 24/7 is really only 2-3 days a week MAX. I have been doing full body workouts with 2 exercises per body part (legs, chest, back and shoulders). I'll hit some cardio afterwards if I'm feeling it but i focus harder on lifting.

How would you all approach my situation if you were in the same boat as far as eating habits, lifting advice, supplements etc?

Thank you in advance!

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Good day to all you sexy bi*ches!!!

So I know we all have a different perspective, lifestyle, eating habits, finances blah blah. That's why I'm hoping to hear your personal approaches to my question here.

Currently, I am 302 lbs at 5'8 and working 65-90 hours a week. Usually 7 days a week but sometimes i get a vacation at 6 days a week. Often I work 12-16 hours a day. I usually don't get more than 5 hours sleep a day as I rarely don't have an 8 hour turn around. I work days, swings and nights so sleep and wake times are all over the place.

My job is not physical for the most part (I do Hospital Security so it's easy until it isn't).

I have recently decided to drop some weight and be healthier. You know, thwart potential diabetes, lower heart rate, lower blood pressure etc. I'm not interested in getting shredded. I would just like to retain as much muscle as possible and would honestly be pretty pumped about myself at 250 lbs.

Currently, I have started using my fitness pal and tracking food, I am also on a weight loss pill from my doctor called Alli (something along the lines of crapping out the fats i eat). I also hit the gym whenever I can, which seeing as I work 24/7 is really only 2-3 days a week MAX. I have been doing full body workouts with 2 exercises per body part (legs, chest, back and shoulders). I'll hit some cardio afterwards if I'm feeling it but i focus harder on lifting.

How would you all approach my situation if you were in the same boat as far as eating habits, lifting advice, supplements etc?

Thank you in advance!
To begin with, good for you, taking the plunge and committing to changing your life and health.

My advice is to begin by building regular exercise into your week. One hour per session, at least three days per week, consistently done, for the rest of your life. I have built up to 5 to 6 days a week, about 45 minutes each day except Saturdays for a 2.5 hour session doing team strongman training. But I worked up to this over many years.

As important, is controlling your food. Move toward higher protein, slow digesting carbs, and good fibrous vegetables. Avoid fast food, sweets, desserts, etc. Some guys can eat whatever they like. Some of us cannot, including me. If I look at a piece of cake, I gain a pound of weight, LOL.

If you can find a good coach, that will help immensely. My coach has helped me use correct form, increase the intensity of workouts, and made helpful recommendations as to how to change my body composition. I have been with him for 10 years and during that time went from 260 lbs at over 30% bodyfat, to 208 lbs and under 15% bodyfat, maybe only 11% (I haven't tested it in a while).

The benefits to me, have been I went from lethargic and tired all the time, to having plenty of energy and able to work long hours without tiring or feeling stressed or depressed. Also, I look great. When I was 260 lbs, I felt like a slob and no one paid any attention to me. At 208lbs I have people telling me often, how great I look, they can tell I lift weights, etc. It is a real ego booster!

The food journal has been key for me. Also, preparing meals ahead of time and eating the same macros (usually the same foods) day in and day out. I do get to cheat, but only a little bit. Over time, my cheats have become smaller and of a healthier nature.

I also keep a workout journal. Because I have a coach, I don't plan my workouts ahead of time. I do miss that, and the feeling that I am in control of my workouts, but I definitely get a much better workout from my coach, then I ever planned for myself.

Good luck, and I hope you stick with this over the long haul.

Having access to TID helped me a lot in the early years. I hope it helps you too!

Last edited:
tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
I'm curious to hear why you're working so much? Are you taking on extra shifts to dig out of debt or saving money for some other reason? Are you having a budgeting problem?

I think dropping the weight is good, but making some lifestyle changes on the work front would also help in achieving your health goals. I speak from personal experience. Was healthy as a horse, working crazy hours, until I wasn't.....

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Are you a sitting on your ass watching a monitor security, door, walking? You can easily get 20K steps in a day or more if you are on your feet and moving around the hospital.
Low carbs, no soda and high protein. You obviously want lower fat with that pill so you don't shit your pants but with lower carbs you are going to want some fat in there so be careful when you fart lol

T

thehulk

VIP Member
Nov 16, 2022
Low carbs, no soda and high protein.
^^^this. OP, you might consider looking into “lazy keto” and just jack up the protein macros. Minimal learning curve, tons of hacks, minimal planning/food prep, and it is easy bc your blood sugar is stabilized. I’d talk with your doctor, but I’d much rather go with lazy keto than a pill that’s going to give you grease sharts.

happy to expand on the concept, but it’s really just a Google search a way.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic