Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Reprogramming for longevity in the gym!

klbsa

klbsa

Jan 5, 2011
I'm 45 and I am still doing 5 reps for most things BUT......... My knees feel like hell, recently my shoulders have started to take forever to get back to ready status after training. I think the time has come to accept my old man status and at least go up to 8-10 reps.

I notice as I get older I am automatically focusing more on muscles that are more useful day to day rather than just to look jacked (like forearms, calves, lower back abs.....)

moebrane

moebrane

Oct 5, 2022
Yep.
At 65 I tear-up easier

BPC 157 helps

My ego gots to take a backseat to the reality.
I am really becoming aware of it this year, recovery is not the same

I am not good with moderation

A1food4u

A1food4u

VIP Member
May 9, 2012
59... and noticing that I hurt myself way easier and more often... nothing huge but the aches add up... right now the shoulders are really rough, couldn't hang the halloween lights on the gutters without the extension ladder. Couldn't hold the lights up over my head for long periods and hang the clip... felt really lame... I think for me its a lifetime of improper warmups and stretching at the end of a workout.... so now I got the PT girl handing me the pink weights at rehab...lol she laughs and laughs.....

midevil

midevil

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 20, 2011
62 I adjusted my training years ago after a couple injuries.

The general consensus among the replies is that we're lifting lighter and smarter as we age. Yet I think if we're honest weight choices vary up to "moderately heavy" not always light?

I'll always throw in a few moderately heavy sets but NOT to failure every time I train. I never train to failure. I'll not fight the weight to the point of needing a spotter to help get the weight up. I'd rather do drop sets (on occasion).

Also, I ALWAYS lift with full range of motion. That is crucial. Half Reppers need to lower the weight, full ROM, or go home. Full ROM develops fuller muscles even at light and moderate weight. Very strict on this as well as tempo.

Also, supersets are huge. Use them a lot. One lift immediately to the next, no rest. Then 2 minutes rest, and onto the next superset set.

etc

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
62 I adjusted my training years ago after a couple injuries.

The general consensus among the replies is that we're lifting lighter and smarter as we age. Yet I think if we're honest weight choices vary up to "moderately heavy" not always light?

I'll always throw in a few moderately heavy sets but NOT to failure every time I train. I never train to failure. I'll not fight the weight to the point of needing a spotter to help get the weight up. I'd rather do drop sets (on occasion).

Also, I ALWAYS lift with full range of motion. That is crucial. Half Reppers need to lower the weight, full ROM, or go home. Full ROM develops fuller muscles even at light and moderate weight. Very strict on this as well as tempo.

Also, supersets are huge. Use them a lot. One lift immediately to the next, no rest. Then 2 minutes rest, and onto the next superset set.

etc
The word heavy is relative to the lifter. I consider it heavy when I cannot get at least 8 reps. You might look at me setting up a t-bar row with 9 plates and say that is heavy, but to me it is not, because I can get more than 8 reps.

TheClap

TheClap

VIP Member
Oct 25, 2011
Damn, all you guys have been getting older too?! Ten or 12 years ago when I came back to the forums I though all y'all were old because you were in your 40's. Now I realize I'm gonna be 60 some day too. It's fucking depressing is what it is.

I'm 45 now and I still go for PRs on rack pulls and deadlifts and a few other things. Haven't gone for a PR on bench in quite a while. I hurt my shoulder chasing strength gains in my late 20's and have been careful with my shoulders ever since. I've never needed surgery and I don't plan on needing it anytime soon. I've been at a place where I looked damn good and I'm hoping to beat that physique one more time before I die. It's going to be a depressing day in hell when I get to a point where I don't believe I can still beat my younger self. I've always done it in the past... come back from a period of laziness or depression to best what I have done before. I believe I can do it one more time and the way things feel I had better hold on to it if I'm able to get there again because strength drops off quick! and it's pretty damn hard to get back even at my age.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
I'm 46 with over 30 years of training. I have also cut out the heavy lifting. All the years of lifting combined with 30 years of Muay Thai Kickboxing and Jiu-jitsu have taken their toll on my body. These days if I can't get at least 10 reps with a weight I'll lower it. Most of the time I'll stay in the 12-15 rep range. I will not do squats, heavy overhead presses or heavy deadlifting. I also haven't done barbell bench presses in years. I stick with dumbbells and machines mostly. Recovery at my age even on TRT is an issue especially considering what I do for work. These days its about staying functionally strong and NOT getting injured. As others have said I use a full ROM and stretch a lot before and during the workout. I have also cut back on total the sets.

Example of a typical workout for me these days:

Chest and biceps
Warmup with a pair of 25's and 35's
Incline dumbbell bench press 3 sets 12-15 reps with a pair of 65-70's
Flat dumbbell bench press 3 sets 12-15 reps with a pair of 75-85's
Flat dumbbell flys 3 sets of 15 reps with 30-35's
Finish with 40-50 push-ups

Warmup with 25's
Standing alternate dumbbell curls 4 sets 45, 40, 35, 35 for 12-15 reps each
Concentration curls 3 sets of 12-15 reps with 35

Out of the gym in 30-40 mins

Who is viewing this thread?