pbtom
What's New?

Prostate biopsy

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
UPDATE.

Hello again TID family. So heres the latest. So Ive got some crazy results that the dr has no clue how this is , But first let me explain that Im currently on Active Surveillance until a test comes back and says that my cancer has grown. So the last PSA was very low not like the one that threw up the flags. Check it

To: Calendar - Use to Select a Date

- or -
Latest values:

Name
Standard Range
11/30/217/12/22
PSA
<3.10 ng/mL
11.10 H0.60
Name
Standard Range
PSA
<3.10 ng/mL
Back to the Test Results page

so in November when the initial PSA was done my PSA was an 11.10 . Now the last one I got done was on July 12th and that was a 0.60 . My doc was like maybe you had an infection or something . I will be honest here though I was coming off a 12 week test cycle maybe thats why it was high? Of course I didnt divulge that to my doctor. I did not mention AAS at all to my doctor. I aint gonna lie , I dont think I will ever admit that to him. But Ive heard of others sharing that with their doctors but again I dont have an Rx for my cycles so theres that . Anyway just wanted to give everyone an update because you all were very very freaking helpful and showed me love and I was going through some issues and you all have helped me in the past . Again I truly want to thank the TID fam for everything . I will be back during the week to check out the replies . Take care , GOD bless you's all.

TW
What was the time line for the PSA readings and the cycle of test and how much? Prior to 11/30 and then in between 11/20 and up to 7/12.

TainoWarrior

TainoWarrior

VIP Member
Nov 14, 2010
Hey Wilson6 ! how are you , Hope all is well with you . Ok I was on for 12 weeks then came off in late november of last year. Got tested in December around Christmas holiday got the results on the 28th of December or so. I was on 600mg of test -E every 10 ten days. One of the reasons I stopped the cycle was because I was having trouble urinating . Weak stream and very slow , I believe my prostate was enlarged but again Im no doctor. So wifey suggested I go and get tested. I havent cycled since I got the results in December 21 but I am looking forward to starting a nice 8 week cycle of test e 600mg every 10 days . This is not written in stone its just my thoughts right now . Im going through a mental debate with it though. For example, will it hinder me or maybe worsen my condition? I mean its why I am here sharing with you all . I want to know. Im 53 right now and havent worked out since last year, started a new job working 12 hour days. I have a nice gym set up at home and I miss it man , I mean damn I wanna get my gains back. But not if its going to do damage , you feel me?

thanks

Taino

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
Hey Wilson6 ! how are you , Hope all is well with you . Ok I was on for 12 weeks then came off in late november of last year. Got tested in December around Christmas holiday got the results on the 28th of December or so. I was on 600mg of test -E every 10 ten days. One of the reasons I stopped the cycle was because I was having trouble urinating . Weak stream and very slow , I believe my prostate was enlarged but again Im no doctor. So wifey suggested I go and get tested. I havent cycled since I got the results in December 21 but I am looking forward to starting a nice 8 week cycle of test e 600mg every 10 days . This is not written in stone its just my thoughts right now . Im going through a mental debate with it though. For example, will it hinder me or maybe worsen my condition? I mean its why I am here sharing with you all . I want to know. Im 53 right now and havent worked out since last year, started a new job working 12 hour days. I have a nice gym set up at home and I miss it man , I mean damn I wanna get my gains back. But not if its going to do damage , you feel me?

thanks

Taino
Good question. The difficulty urinating may have been due to prostatitis unrelated to the cycle of test, hence the high PSA but I thought your biopsy showed no inflammation? In Bhasin's 2005 study giving older guys (60 - 75 yrs) test up to 600 mg/wk (20 weeks) they only saw increases in PSA of about 0.4 - 0.7 and no difference between the young and old men. Instead of running a cycle, why not just 200 mg/wk for a longer duration? I personally think you'd get more out of 200/wk for a year vs a cycle of 600. Check your PSA again, there are plenty of on-line labs if you live in a state that allows it. Honestly, I'd recheck it again now and confirm its really 0.6, then add the test give it 6 weeks and recheck. Understand that depending on your T levels now (probably good to know what that level is now), there will likely be some increase, but it shouldn't be more than 1.0 and then should remain stable. If it keeps going up, that's bad. No one knows the answer to these questions or whether it will worsen or maybe prevent the current PCa from becoming more aggressive. You're an N = 1.

TainoWarrior

TainoWarrior

VIP Member
Nov 14, 2010
Good question. The difficulty urinating may have been due to prostatitis unrelated to the cycle of test, hence the high PSA but I thought your biopsy showed no inflammation? In Bhasin's 2005 study giving older guys (60 - 75 yrs) test up to 600 mg/wk (20 weeks) they only saw increases in PSA of about 0.4 - 0.7 and no difference between the young and old men. Instead of running a cycle, why not just 200 mg/wk for a longer duration? I personally think you'd get more out of 200/wk for a year vs a cycle of 600. Check your PSA again, there are plenty of on-line labs if you live in a state that allows it. Honestly, I'd recheck it again now and confirm its really 0.6, then add the test give it 6 weeks and recheck. Understand that depending on your T levels now (probably good to know what that level is now), there will likely be some increase, but it shouldn't be more than 1.0 and then should remain stable. If it keeps going up, that's bad. No one knows the answer to these questions or whether it will worsen or maybe prevent the current PCa from becoming more aggressive. You're an N = 1.
Thank you Wilson , I must apologize for the delay in replying. I've been working 12 hous shifts and barely have any time on the pc. Phones are a big no no on the plant floor. Ok so you're suggesting 200mg a week instead of 600mg . But for a year. But I must get checked out again b4 I start. That's doable that shouldn't be a problem. Seems like everyone is different and I can't know the end results. You know I had to google wtf N=1 meant. I will talk this over with Mrs first and get back with how I will proceed. Thank u for your time , I truly appreciate it bro. I've never done a whole year on. But the mg being so low perhaps it will do me good. I'm definitely intrigued. Again thanks alot bro. Ttys. Any other brothers wanna chime in by all means please do so.

TW

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
Thank you Wilson , I must apologize for the delay in replying. I've been working 12 hous shifts and barely have any time on the pc. Phones are a big no no on the plant floor. Ok so you're suggesting 200mg a week instead of 600mg . But for a year. But I must get checked out again b4 I start. That's doable that shouldn't be a problem. Seems like everyone is different and I can't know the end results. You know I had to google wtf N=1 meant. I will talk this over with Mrs first and get back with how I will proceed. Thank u for your time , I truly appreciate it bro. I've never done a whole year on. But the mg being so low perhaps it will do me good. I'm definitely intrigued. Again thanks alot bro. Ttys. Any other brothers wanna chime in by all means please do so.

TW
I don't see any reason to take more than 200 mg/wk, slow and steady IMO is the best way to go. Get a PSA done now and follow it. It will likely increase but not a lot and then stablize if not then that's a bad thing. The only way you're going to find out is to try it, only you can make that decision and assume any risk. Everyone is different. I just had HoLEP on my prostate Thursday. Laser reduction through the urethra. The gold standard for BPH, although I never had an abnormal PSA or exam I'm still nervous about the path report. They send the pieces they laser out to check for PC. Anyway, feels like I had a router rooter run up my pecker and a 5 KT nuke detonated in what used to be a large prostate. Some incontinence but that is supposed to resolve in a few weeks along with the bleeding and pain. Can't lift for at least a month so it heals. Emptying the bladder now take seconds instead of minutes and no strain or hesitation.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
. . . . I just had HoLEP on my prostate Thursday. Laser reduction through the urethra. The gold standard for BPH, although I never had an abnormal PSA or exam I'm still nervous about the path report. They send the pieces they laser out to check for PC . . . .
I had the old fashioned T.U.R.P. surgery a coupla yrs ago and was not real happy with the results, so my ears perked up at that "gold standard" description. My Urologist never mentioned another option, not sure if HE prefers the old way, never learned the laser way, or never even heard of it.

My impression is that T.U.R.P. excises tissue for Pathology via mechanical means ... sort of a mini-colonoscopy, whereas HoLEP excises tissue for Pathology via laser. Two different methods that arrive at the same place(?)

Why then, might HoLEP be described as the gold standard? I had some minor complaints after my surgery, but my experience post-op sounds way better, and briefer, than what you're expecting. Not trying to debate "my surgery can beat up your surgery ... I already trust you more than most MDs ... just trying to learn.

I have insurance and will pm you the details :)

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
I had the old fashioned T.U.R.P. surgery a coupla yrs ago and was not real happy with the results, so my ears perked up at that "gold standard" description. My Urologist never mentioned another option, not sure if HE prefers the old way, never learned the laser way, or never even heard of it.

My impression is that T.U.R.P. excises tissue for Pathology via mechanical means ... sort of a mini-colonoscopy, whereas HoLEP excises tissue for Pathology via laser. Two different methods that arrive at the same place(?)

Why then, might HoLEP be described as the gold standard? I had some minor complaints after my surgery, but my experience post-op sounds way better, and briefer, than what you're expecting. Not trying to debate "my surgery can beat up your surgery ... I already trust you more than most MDs ... just trying to learn.

I have insurance and will pm you the details :)
I was exaggerating with the description a little, although when you see pics of the pre and post, it looks like a deep copper mine before and after a small nuke was detonated inside. Actually I'm doing pretty well. HoLEP is very precise and a one and done procedure. The laser has a 0.5 mm precision cut, it has been around for a number of years and being refined each year. TURP is the old school roto-rooter. HoLEP is a steep learning curve and there are multiple techniques that have to be tailored to the patients condition for optimal outcome so unless you're a young surgeon that is passionate about the procedure and learning, you won't find many that do it, plus it is not a money maker for the institution. I'm sitting in my office and have no pain, just a little burning on urination, a little blood that is probably coming from the first few cm of the penis where most of the trauma occurs in and out. A little leakage after urination and no sense of urgency. As soon as I sit down and relax, the bladder empties in seconds. I won't have a good feel for the outcome for days to weeks, but dropped the flomax and the only pain med at this time is my daily celebrex for joint issues. Only got up once last night and had no issues getting to the bathroom. My Hb/HCT was exactly the same pre and post op. Almost no blood loss, very different than TURP and healing time is much faster, my dad had two TURPS in his lifetimie and both were nasty. The doc I had started in robotics for her masters and at that time urology was the field that used it the most. She is almost exclusively HoLEP and the only one at this major institution that does the procedure and their urology dept is huge. She is rock solid and knows her shit inside out. Very process oriented, her residents fear, respect and admire her and in the OR she is a carnivore. The room could be on fire and she wouldn't lose her focus. Alot depends on the surgeon, a technique or procedure is only as good as the person at the controls. State of the art is useless in the hands of a rookie. I had urolift done a few years ago, that had minimal effect, it also presented a challenge during the HoLEP as the implants have to be removed and that usually means more post op discomfort for the patient. I would never suggest Urolift to anyone. Had more prostate pain post op from that than from the HoLEP. I would always recommend HoLEP over TURP but only if you have someone that specializes in HoLEP. I may have a different opinion in a few weeks when I start back into the weight room, will update. Next on the list is lower back fusion. Fucking shit never ends. If anyone has more questions, PM me. I would recommend this doc to anyone that has to go this route.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
THANK YOU, W6, that reply deserves more than a simple "Like," but I hesitate to use the smilie with hearts for eyes, considering the subject matter and all .....

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
THANK YOU, W6, that reply deserves more than a simple "Like," but I hesitate to use the smilie with hearts for eyes, considering the subject matter and all .....
"but I hesitate to use the smilie with hearts for eyes, considering the subject matter and all" LOL.

S

SD1959

VIP Member
Mar 2, 2012
My dad had prostate cancer. Had to battle it as he was not a candidate for surgery as he had previously had a heart attack. He also had been a long time smoker. Emphysema was what took him down. I am a big proponent of treatment. The cancer did take Its toll. As for myself, I had a biopsy for a moderate enlargement. My numbers were good but my family history they didn't to take a chance on missing something. Fortunately, it was just bpa which I assumed it probably was from hrt. Just know that biopsy ain't no fun but if you are told you should get one, just bite the bullet and get it done.
SincereLy,
Sd

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
Day 5 of recovery from HoLEP, not fun but manageable and progressing as expected. Path report came back this morning, negative for PCa and PIN, that's a big fucking relief. Given they had 1/3 of various parts of my entire prostate to examine, its reassuring there's probably nothing there.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
"PIN" = Prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia ?

You made me look harder than usual for that one, Professor.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic