pbtom
What's New?

Stickler's Rebirth Log

Stickler

Stickler

VIP Member
Oct 28, 2010
8-15-2022
Morning weight: Holding water because I cheated on my diet this weekend with my son. Going to stop looking at the scale daily.

The mirror is now my judge.
--
3rd Routine - told coach about volume concerns as well as being too fatigued by the end, also mentioned about concerns from some of the board members. He said it's no more than 24 sets per day, and I told him that my rest periods are too long due to fatigue. He made changes, but also took into consideration what hurts from previous injury.

I'm paying the guy, and his methods work for a lot of people he trains of all levels, needs, and goals. I'll continue to ask questions, but will give this one a shot and see how it feels.
-----

"Day 1:" start time 1:40pm

Wide grip pull-ups 50 reps (use assisted, lbs are amount of my weight lifted)
OLD: 11x80, 14x100, 8x100, 8x110, 9x120
OLD: 3x10 @ 110, 130, 140x9 (failure)
NEW: 25x110, 17x110, 10x110

Close grip pulldowns 3 warmups of 5 then 1 work set of 8-10
NEW: 85, 120, 140, 160x8

Db pullovers 4 x 20 3 sec negative
OLD: 40x12 60x12, 70x9 (failure)
NEW: 50x20, 55x20, 55x17, 55x15

Cable crossovers 3 warmups of 5 then 1 work set of 12-15 w/ 3 sec hold on contraction
NEW: 35, 42.5, 42.5, 30X12

Lower cable pulls 4 x 12 3 sec hold on contraction
NEW: 20, 20, 20, 25x9

Hanging leg raises 3 x 12-15
NEW: 15, 15, 15

Cardio: Treadmill 25 min @ 2.5% 3.3mph 146bmp
Finished 3:20 pm
Toyal 1hr 40min incl cardio

Had the best pump I've had in a long time. Took 2-3 min rest between almost every set. Didn't feel rushed, good workout.
-----

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
THIS... IS EXACTLY my issue and why I got a coach. To reprogram my brain. I've injured myself enough, so now I'm letting someone else set the tone and keep the plan in motion while I'm putting in the work.
It is hard to retrain the brain. I think we all did it. I remember when I would increase the weight it was either add an extra 25, 35 or 45 to each side. WTF were 2.5, 5 or 10 lbs plates even doing in the gym. Haha. I wish I could go back and tell my young self to stop being an idiot.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Ask your coach about doing feeder sets on the subsequent exercises for the same body part. For example, once you have already done one exercise for upper back there is no need to do a bunch of warm up sets for your next exercise that focuses on the upper back. Instead, you would do feeder warm ups, which are basically just to get a feel for the exercise, range of motion, etc.. You might only do 3 reps as you get closer to your working set weight. It will spare glycogen and reduce fatigue.

Stickler

Stickler

VIP Member
Oct 28, 2010
Ask your coach about doing feeder sets on the subsequent exercises for the same body part. For example, once you have already done one exercise for upper back there is no need to do a bunch of warm up sets for your next exercise that focuses on the upper back. Instead, you would do feeder warm ups, which are basically just to get a feel for the exercise, range of motion, etc.. You might only do 3 reps as you get closer to your working set weight. It will spare glycogen and reduce fatigue.
Got this question saved. He JUST changed my routine after my other concerns and questions. It was fatigue, extended rest time between sets, and time in the gym. Not to mention I was getting other questions regarding volume that I tried to address.

Could there be a chance that warmups ARE feeders? I always wondered what the difference was.

The changes he made seemed to address volume, time, and fatigue so far, but it's only been a day. Lol. One other concern is that he's aware of my previous injuries, maybe that's part of his thinking?

I did notice today that the yesterday's routine seemed to alternate between high reps/sets to lower sets/reps with a harder working set. I plan on checking out the entire workout to see if that's a trend.

The one thing I know is, are that results are occurring. Actually faster than I thought they would. I'm just waiting for the progression to slow so I can remind myself that it's ok. I already decided today that I need to start avoiding the scale so I can avoid the mental game that goes with it.

The mirror is my new progress gage.

Regardless, keeping that question bookmarked so if I continue to have problems with fatigue, it'll be in my next round of concerns to address. Appreciate the feedback as always.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Got this question saved. He JUST changed my routine after my other concerns and questions. It was fatigue, extended rest time between sets, and time in the gym. Not to mention I was getting other questions regarding volume that I tried to address.

Could there be a chance that warmups ARE feeders? I always wondered what the difference was.

The changes he made seemed to address volume, time, and fatigue so far, but it's only been a day. Lol. One other concern is that he's aware of my previous injuries, maybe that's part of his thinking?

I did notice today that the yesterday's routine seemed to alternate between high reps/sets to lower sets/reps with a harder working set. I plan on checking out the entire workout to see if that's a trend.

The one thing I know is, are that results are occurring. Actually faster than I thought they would. I'm just waiting for the progression to slow so I can remind myself that it's ok. I already decided today that I need to start avoiding the scale so I can avoid the mental game that goes with it.

The mirror is my new progress gage.

Regardless, keeping that question bookmarked so if I continue to have problems with fatigue, it'll be in my next round of concerns to address. Appreciate the feedback as always.
Warm ups are just feeders, but then they are not. You might do 3-4 warm up sets of 5, 8, 10, 12, etc... reps each. A feeder is used when the body part is already warm and you really don't need to warm the muscle up anymore. It is more of just getting a feel for the weight, range of motion, movement, etc... Say your working set on bench press is 225x8. If you have already done some chest work, your feeder sets might look like 135x10, 155x5, 185x3 and 205x1-2. You are just programming your body for an increase in weight without wasting all your energy on warm up sets. You are not building any muscle during warm up sets, because there is no intensity, so why not save that energy for when you need it most and it provides you the greatest value?

Stickler

Stickler

VIP Member
Oct 28, 2010
Warm ups are just feeders, but then they are not. You might do 3-4 warm up sets of 5, 8, 10, 12, etc... reps each. A feeder is used when the body part is already warm and you really don't need to warm the muscle up anymore. It is more of just getting a feel for the weight, range of motion, movement, etc... Say your working set on bench press is 225x8. If you have already done some chest work, your feeder sets might look like 135x10, 155x5, 185x3 and 205x1-2. You are just programming your body for an increase in weight without wasting all your energy on warm up sets. You are not building any muscle during warm up sets, because there is no intensity, so why not save that energy for when you need it most and it provides you the greatest value?
Just met with Fred. He cleared up some things for me. He said they are feeders, but instead of having me do 6-8 he said we're going with 5.

There was more, but I don't want to botch up what he said without thinking about it first.

He did address the changes, the frequency, the increments in reps/sets as to not further injury to my joints which are already fucked, especially at my age.

And I specifically asked and he specifically told me, that everything we're doing is for hypotrophy. That strength will become the byproduct of the muscle increase.

He gave me education this week. I asked the right questions and got the right answers! Wouldn't have known what to ask without input from everyone, so thank you.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Just met with Fred. He cleared up some things for me. He said they are feeders, but instead of having me do 6-8 he said we're going with 5.

There was more, but I don't want to botch up what he said without thinking about it first.

He did address the changes, the frequency, the increments in reps/sets as to not further injury to my joints which are already fucked, especially at my age.

And I specifically asked and he specifically told me, that everything we're doing is for hypotrophy. That strength will become the byproduct of the muscle increase.

He gave me education this week. I asked the right questions and got the right answers! Wouldn't have known what to ask without input from everyone, so thank you.
That is interesting. I have never heard of feeders as having a set number of reps. You would just go until you felt good with it. However, I can understand why he put a number on it, since he wants you to stick to a program. If he just said go in and do 3-4 feeder sets then he has no idea what you are going to do. You might do 25 reps or just 1 rep. So again, makes sense.

And the routine he has laid out for you also makes sense. I prefer a lot more intensity, but I also understand, you are just getting back into this and your relationship with your coach is new. I assume after a while he will add in more intensity to your routine.

Stickler

Stickler

VIP Member
Oct 28, 2010
I prefer a lot more intensity, but I also understand, you are just getting back into this and your relationship with your coach is new. I assume after a while he will add in more intensity to your routine.
His exact words were, we give beginners more reps to get their muscles used to a motion. Then he said, you're back in the intermediate stage. We don't want to injure you, but keep pushing progress.

When he scanned me and I gain 3lbs of muscle in 3 weeks but also gained some fat.. he was like, "BITCH!, what DIDN'T you do?!" Lol.. I told him... A week off of cardio and cheated this weekend.

He told me to do my damn cardio. Lol. Also, I believe that when we're past some injury situations and when its time to pack on some weight.. it'll change. He's just hyper aware of my tendon problems.

I learned a lot today. But I would have never known what to ask if I didn't get a ton of questions and comments on another board from members who were like.. wtf is all the volume for?! So I asked him today. It was a good day.

Stickler

Stickler

VIP Member
Oct 28, 2010
That is interesting. I have never heard of feeders as having a set number of reps. You would just go until you felt good with it. However, I can understand why he put a number on it, since he wants you to stick to a program. If he just said go in and do 3-4 feeder sets then he has no idea what you are going to do. You might do 25 reps or just 1 rep. So again, makes sense.
I believe he also knows my mindset, which is go heavy, get exhausted, move forward. I know if my goal is 5.. then try to adjust my weight and future set weights to handle the progression without sputtering out.

I was talking about just getting used to the routine and he said, "I'm ok with going 4 weeks before changing. " I said NOPE, keep it. Keep progression and move forward. You're the pro.

And for my cost, it's worth it. .. so fuck it.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
His exact words were, we give beginners more reps to get their muscles used to a motion. Then he said, you're back in the intermediate stage. We don't want to injure you, but keep pushing progress.

When he scanned me and I gain 3lbs of muscle in 3 weeks but also gained some fat.. he was like, "BITCH!, what DIDN'T you do?!" Lol.. I told him... A week off of cardio and cheated this weekend.

He told me to do my damn cardio. Lol. Also, I believe that when we're past some injury situations and when its time to pack on some weight.. it'll change. He's just hyper aware of my tendon problems.

I learned a lot today. But I would have never known what to ask if I didn't get a ton of questions and comments on another board from members who were like.. wtf is all the volume for?! So I asked him today. It was a good day.
Sounds like a good coach. It is funny how you can tell when someone doesn't follow the plan in a weekly check in. At least you are honest. Most people try and lie to me about it.

Stickler

Stickler

VIP Member
Oct 28, 2010
Sounds like a good coach. It is funny how you can tell when someone doesn't follow the plan in a weekly check in. At least you are honest. Most people try and lie to me about it.
LOL.. brother. I appreciate your feedback! Honestly, I have nothing to gain by lying to an "online community." So... fuck it. I've gotten more response, and more questions that have allowed me to ask my coach THOSE questions... well , otherwise I would have had no idea what to ask. You're question earlier today, literally helped me asked a question TODAY!

Thank you for that... I don't know much. I just "know what I know," which apparently isn't that much according to the professionals.

Stickler

Stickler

VIP Member
Oct 28, 2010
Been slacking.

Had a side job start last week on top of what I am normally doing and the balance has been a pain, but it means some extra needed money down the road.

I still suck at multitasking and time management. Long story short, I didn't hit the gym most of last week but avg about 16k steps a day Tues-Friday, and had family functions that took up most of the weekend. Hit the gym last night though and decided to just start my new routine over since I only got 1 day of it in before being consumed by life.
---
8-22-2022
Diet clean
-
It was crowded and after waiting for a bit for certain machines, I decided to change the order of the exercises. It made for interesting weight changes. I screwed up the order but didn't want to wait.

Day 1: start time 8:05pm

Wide grip pull-ups 50 reps (use assisted, lbs are amount of my weight lifted)
OLD: 25x110, 17x110,
NEW: 25x115, 16x115, 10x115

Close grip pulldowns 3 warmups of 5 then 1 work set of 8-10
OLD: 85, 120, 140, 160x8
NEW: 85, 140, 160, 180x3/160x7

Db pullovers 4 x 20 3 sec negative
OLD: 50x20, 55x20, 55x17, 55x15
NEW: 55, 55, 60, 60x14

Cable crossovers 3 warmups of 5 then 1 work set of 12-15 w/ 3 sec hold on contraction
OLD: 35, 42.5, 42.5, 30X12
NEW: 30, 35, 42.5, 42.5x6/25x9 -need to work up better, the 3sec squeeze is getting the best of me

Lower cable pulls 4 x 12 3 sec hold on contraction
OLD: 20, 20, 20, 25x9
NEW: 20, 25x11, 20x11, 15

Hanging leg raises 3 x 12-15

Cardio: Treadmill 25 min @ 9% 3.3mph 133 bpm

2hrs total incl. cardio

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic