Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Sleep Apnea

Rock Diesel

Rock Diesel

Mar 16, 2022
I need to do a sleep study because I probably need a cpap, but these stories are making me think twice lol. This whole cpap thing sounds like a nightmare. I guess dealing with it is the price we pay to live long and healthy with sleep apnea.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
I need to do a sleep study because I probably need a cpap, but these stories are making me think twice lol. This whole cpap thing sounds like a nightmare. I guess dealing with it is the price we pay to live long and healthy with sleep apnea.

Long term health, it’s definitely worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
Waiting to hear from the supplier, not sure what type I'm getting yet. Told the CNP at the sleep center, if this thing is like a iron lung from the 1950's, its not going to work for me. Will see what happens. Everyone I know that uses one, once they have it adjusted and the right fit, it is a game changer.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Wilson6, it's helped me quite a bit. I've had mine for about 6 years. I have the full mask that covers both the mouth and the nose. I've developed some allergies just over the past couple of years, very mild, but still a slight runny nose due to a cat, or some ragweed or pollen. Anyways, the CPAP has actually helped that at night, at the air I'm breathing has been humidified, and that acts as a sufficiently good filter to filter the air, and my allergies go away at night.

I also have to get up once each night to pee due to my prostate. Previously, I had difficulty falling back asleep, but I've found that the quite humming of the CPAP machine (not loud at all, but not silent) acts like a white noise generator that actually helps me fall back asleep. I don't think it's designed for that, but it's been a nice unintended benefit!

parttimer

parttimer

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2011
Do the nasal pillows if you can, if you find a mask that you like but does cause your nose to close, use breath right nasal strips to keep your nose open. Lastly, your want a BIPAP machine if you have issues exhaling. The bipap provides pressure while inhaling, but drops pressure exhaling.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
Waiting to hear from the supplier, not sure what type I'm getting yet. Told the CNP at the sleep center, if this thing is like a iron lung from the 1950's, its not going to work for me. Will see what happens. Everyone I know that uses one, once they have it adjusted and the right fit, it is a game changer.

That’s what everyone tells me as well. I still have trouble getting everything fit right and doing well with it at night. I suffer from sleep paralysis and nightmares a lot too, and sometimes that will happen and I’ll knock my mask loose and kinda wake up in the middle of it in a panic and feel like I’m breathing worse. I’m hoping to get it al figured out. Especially for long term health. Sleep apnea is so damn hard on our organs.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
Wilson6, it's helped me quite a bit. I've had mine for about 6 years. I have the full mask that covers both the mouth and the nose. I've developed some allergies just over the past couple of years, very mild, but still a slight runny nose due to a cat, or some ragweed or pollen. Anyways, the CPAP has actually helped that at night, at the air I'm breathing has been humidified, and that acts as a sufficiently good filter to filter the air, and my allergies go away at night.

I also have to get up once each night to pee due to my prostate. Previously, I had difficulty falling back asleep, but I've found that the quite humming of the CPAP machine (not loud at all, but not silent) acts like a white noise generator that actually helps me fall back asleep. I don't think it's designed for that, but it's been a nice unintended benefit!

Dude, yes. I do love the light noise it gives. I’ve always done well with noises like that for sleep. That is one additional benefit of it for me.

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
I wear the full mask that covers your nose and mouth. Ive tried all the other options and I was most comfortable with the mask. I am a nose breather when I sleep. Only thing that sucks, is if my allergies start acting up, wearing the CPAP is the worst. I have to start breathing through my mouth, and that dries my throat/mouth out. Ive been on this CPAP for years. You never get used to it. I have never slept 6-8 hours straight, and I can't remember how long. I still wake up every 1 -1/2 hours because I have to piss. Both urologist and Sleep doctor, point the blame on each other.. Urologist blames my problems on my sleep apnea, and sleep doctor says its because of my overactive bladder. Go figure..

I still wake up in the middle of the night with my mask off and on the floor. My wife says I take it off in my sleep. Sometimes when I am winding down, and just shutting my eyes, I seem to fall asleep before I even put the mask on.
I don't wish sleep apnea on anyone.

Have you looked into getting that device called Inspire? They implant a small pacemaker device, I believe near your neck, and it works by remote control. Suppose to keep your airway open. I am going to ask my sleep doctor about this again when I see her in a few months. I think she told me before, she doesn't recommend it, as the CPAP is the best and proven method.
I'm probably gonna have the same issues you are like pissing every 2 hrs. I was told that having sleep apnea causes the body to dump water therefore the constant passing. I was really hoping a machine would eliminate that.

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
Go with APAP instead of CPAP. It will automatically vary the pressure to your needs. It also won't push air so hard when it senses you breathing out.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Yes, my new pcp said that since I did the home study and an appap adjusts the pressure based on your needs I won't have to do the overnight to figure out the pressure, he called it titration. He said once he gets a copy of the home study he will set me up with a company he uses for apap machines.

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
Yes, my new pcp said that since I did the home study and an appap adjusts the pressure based on your needs I won't have to do the overnight to figure out the pressure, he called it titration. He said once he gets a copy of the home study he will set me up with a company he uses for apap machines.
I think I meant bipap. It's one that starts out with low pressure and ramps when you fall asleep and also lowers pressure when you exhale plus adjusts pressure based on your needs.

BrandenFlynn

BrandenFlynn

Jul 18, 2022
My father has been suffering from sleep apnea almost all his life. The only thing that helped my father a little is that he quit smoking. Although he is still very noisy in his sleep.

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
I got my cpap last September. Game changer once you get used to it. I also have the air sense 10 and use a small full face mask even though I have a big head. I can sleep on my side with it if I prop my pillows right.

Just had my physical last week. The difference in my blood work was pretty wild. Everything from RBC to lipid panel improved, and I've really done nothing much different lifestyle wise then get the cpap.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic