Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Identity theft

Wallyd

Wallyd

VIP Member
Dec 10, 2013
Any of my peeps here use one of the indenting theft protection companies like Life Lick? If so which one do you use & what’s your opinion/experience with them. Thanks everyone!

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
There is no company that can prevent identity theft. They are all basically insurance companies. Credit monitoring is bullshit. You can freeze your own credit if you want. All of the credit card/ bank cards you have already are insured for fraudulent charges or left to the liability of the merchant your biggest risk comes from something like medical fraud or title/mortgage fraud this is where an insurance company may help and are cheaper than lifelock type stuff. Zander insurance has 1000000 policy for $100 year

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
I use LifeLock for probably 6 or 7 years I finally dropped them because every time I turn around I get an email saying that I need to upgrade to get these additional services. When I started with them I paid like $15 a month and it was supposed to be the ultimate plan then it went to $18 and then $22 and then $28 and then $32 and I kept saying there was more features but those were features that were already included in the original plan I had. When I questioned it they said Oh but you get all these other services but according to the paperwork I had those were already included. They said due to cost on their end they had to raise prices but it was on voluntary basis but you get bombarded by emails and phone calls about it. Then I noticed that updates to my credit score started lagging behind by a month and then 3 months and a year and every time it would call they were saying that I had to call the credit bureau and have them send LifeLock the updated credit score which is complete BS. I use credit karma which is free and I can get an updated credit score pretty much every day.

Fortunately I never had to use LifeLock in a case of identity theft. I canceled them months ago and I'm using a company called AURA it seems they do pretty much the same service but about half the price. If you look them up do a search for identity theft and credit monitoring companies and I found a coupon when I switched over and I save about $5 a month on going.

One thing I did like about LifeLock was when there was a credit inquiry I would get a text and it would tell me exactly who it was without having to log in so I know if I applied for something that it was an urgent that I log in and approve it right away. With the new company they send you a text but you have to log in to see what company it is that's the only thing I don't like. Very simple the login but still it save some time if you're on the road not having to rush to log in somewhere.

I did the family plan for my wife and I I did a separate one for my daughter and I'm saving about $40 a month over LifeLock.

Credit karma will also monitor your credit for any changes and they're actually quicker about letting you know than those credit monitoring services the downfall with credit karma is being a free service they don't help you fix anything but they do have a lot of good information on the website and everything is free. So I use both of them together and I monitor everything.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
I use LifeLock for probably 6 or 7 years I finally dropped them because every time I turn around I get an email saying that I need to upgrade to get these additional services. When I started with them I paid like $15 a month and it was supposed to be the ultimate plan then it went to $18 and then $22 and then $28 and then $32 and I kept saying there was more features but those were features that were already included in the original plan I had. When I questioned it they said Oh but you get all these other services but according to the paperwork I had those were already included. They said due to cost on their end they had to raise prices but it was on voluntary basis but you get bombarded by emails and phone calls about it. Then I noticed that updates to my credit score started lagging behind by a month and then 3 months and a year and every time it would call they were saying that I had to call the credit bureau and have them send LifeLock the updated credit score which is complete BS. I use credit karma which is free and I can get an updated credit score pretty much every day.

Fortunately I never had to use LifeLock in a case of identity theft. I canceled them months ago and I'm using a company called AURA it seems they do pretty much the same service but about half the price. If you look them up do a search for identity theft and credit monitoring companies and I found a coupon when I switched over and I save about $5 a month on going.

One thing I did like about LifeLock was when there was a credit inquiry I would get a text and it would tell me exactly who it was without having to log in so I know if I applied for something that it was an urgent that I log in and approve it right away. With the new company they send you a text but you have to log in to see what company it is that's the only thing I don't like. Very simple the login but still it save some time if you're on the road not having to rush to log in somewhere.

I did the family plan for my wife and I I did a separate one for my daughter and I'm saving about $40 a month over LifeLock.

Credit karma will also monitor your credit for any changes and they're actually quicker about letting you know than those credit monitoring services the downfall with credit karma is being a free service they don't help you fix anything but they do have a lot of good information on the website and everything is free. So I use both of them together and I monitor everything.
Most of these “services” you can do yourself for free. You are paying for convenience

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
The only difference in handling and all yourself other than convenience is if you buy the upgraded packages with these companies they will help you in the event of identity theft. I have never had to use them and hopefully I never do I monitor my credit very closely and it's careful as possible where my information is used.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
Any of my peeps here use one of the indenting theft protection companies like Life Lick? If so which one do you use & what’s your opinion/experience with them. Thanks everyone!
I haven’t used Lifelock, debated about it, but because my stuff was in a breach I’ve had free monitoring as part of the settlements. Equafax or Experian I did pay for, then went to the free version. What you really want to look for in a monitoring service is if they’ll work and fix your credit for you if your identity is stolen.

As a side note, I have credit Karma and that app is awesome. Monitoring your credit and you’ll get an instant notification on a credit pull, and if it’s not you, you can quickly lock your credit report and report that issue. Equafax and Experian also notify me, but not in the way Credit karma does that grabs my attention.

Wallyd

Wallyd

VIP Member
Dec 10, 2013
I haven’t used Lifelock, debated about it, but because my stuff was in a breach I’ve had free monitoring as part of the settlements. Equafax or Experian I did pay for, then went to the free version. What you really want to look for in a monitoring service is if they’ll work and fix your credit for you if your identity is stolen.

As a side note, I have credit Karma and that app is awesome. Monitoring your credit and you’ll get an instant notification on a credit pull, and if it’s not you, you can quickly lock your credit report and report that issue. Equafax and Experian also notify me, but not in the way Credit karma does that grabs my attention.
Thanks! I use credit karma daily but the credit agencies are telling me credit karma doesn’t keep up with them & it’s not very accurate. Personally I think they were just trying to cover their asses & make a sale.

Rock Diesel

Rock Diesel

Mar 16, 2022
I've been wondering about credit karma. I've seen their commercials all over tv, but never knew if they were legit and really as good as advertised. I've been wanting to find a good way to monitor my credit.

Wallyd

Wallyd

VIP Member
Dec 10, 2013
I've been wondering about credit karma. I've seen their commercials all over tv, but never knew if they were legit and really as good as advertised. I've been wanting to find a good way to monitor my credit.
According to Equifax credit karma is not exactly up to date on what they show. Since some things have happened with my personal information I’ve been really staying on top of things daily. I’ve called Equifax to question credit karma & they are telling me I need to call credit karma & have them get their crap together.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
Thanks! I use credit karma daily but the credit agencies are telling me credit karma doesn’t keep up with them & it’s not very accurate. Personally I think they were just trying to cover their asses & make a sale.
Haha yeah that was lines of BS they fed you. I think they are threatened by them. Out of the two monitoring services I have compared to Credit Karma, CK takes the win. When I applied for a credit card a month ago, CK sent me a notification immediately, then sent follow up emails and notifications to confirm if it was mine, and if so, nothing I needed to do. My credit file is always accurate to when I log in.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
I use LifeLock and have my credit frozen. If I need to unfreeze I login and unfreeze it for a few days.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic