Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Bad news injury (Shoulder/bicep)

R

Realize

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2010
I havent been posting because I havent been training in quite a while. Got my mri done 2 days ago. saw the orthopedic today and got the bad news. Rotator cuff and bicep are all fucked up. Tendons ligaments and I dont know. I started zoning out and told him to just start scheduling the surgery. I told him that I know im going to be in a lot of pain anyway so do it all at once. luckily its my left arm.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
While it sucks, the quicker you get it done the quicker you can get back in the gym. After I had mine repaired the only complaint I had was the fact I waited so many years to get it done.

rAJJIN

rAJJIN

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 30, 2011
At least yours can be fixed.
Two surgeons have told me to prepare for shoulder replacement. It’s so messed up they are saying the surgery will not gain me anything.
Spurs, arthritis, tears, calcified, sockets rolled from years of heavy bench pressing.

I’ll go till she blows.
Still able to move 225 pretty easy But once I start going up is when it gets me.
Use to feel good to smash a PR or move that maximum heavy load. Now it’s more like self torture lol

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Yea that's a real bummer brother. I had labrum/rc repairs a few yrs back and my bicep tendon reattached 1.5yrs ago. Replacement is my only option from this point on dr said. I really hope you take extra time recovering and heal properly, both of which I didn't

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
At least yours can be fixed.
Two surgeons have told me to prepare for shoulder replacement. It’s so messed up they are saying the surgery will not gain me anything.
Spurs, arthritis, tears, calcified, sockets rolled from years of heavy bench pressing.

I’ll go till she blows.
Still able to move 225 pretty easy But once I start going up is when it gets me.
Use to feel good to smash a PR or move that maximum heavy load. Now it’s more like self torture lol
That's my exact plan.

I run some serious reps though. The highest I will go on a machine is 55lbs for each shoulder but I drop set to 45, 35 then 25. I'm doing 50+ reps on my peak working sets.

I have found the best warm up for shoulders is traps. It helps heat them up without actually moving the rotator cuff. Or should I say it heats them to get them warmed up. I superset light shrugs with presses and light shrugs with bench. It may help you as well.

First set best I can do is partial reps at 25lbs each arm until I can get a full extension. Bad days I go down to 15 or no weight at all to begin with.

I still do a good job of tearing them down. I also hit some light shoulders on a different day to help.

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I havent been posting because I havent been training in quite a while. Got my mri done 2 days ago. saw the orthopedic today and got the bad news. Rotator cuff and bicep are all fucked up. Tendons ligaments and I dont know. I started zoning out and told him to just start scheduling the surgery. I told him that I know im going to be in a lot of pain anyway so do it all at once. luckily its my left arm.
Good luck man, I can't stand the thought of taking a day off.

USMCRabi

USMCRabi

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2012
I feel your pain. I have had 3 surgeries on my right shoulder. I currently have a torn labrum in the back of my left shoulder. Good luck brother.

R

Realize

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2010
Biceps tendinosis of left shoulder
Complete rotator cuff rupture of left shoulder
Elbow pain, left
Glenoid chondromalacia, left
Labral tear of shoulder, degenerative, left
Left lateral epicondylitis

R

Realize

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2010
Elbow pain, left
^^^ whatever that is I told them just to fix it. So I can lift again. This summer is over for me.

GaryG68

GaryG68

Jul 19, 2022
Elbow pain, left
Ow...owowowowowowowowowowowowow

I had a similar issue. I was experiencing all sorts of issues with my right shoulder, for TWO YEARS I had numbness, tingling all the way down to my fingers. I thought it was from sleeping all fucked up from the kids always climbing in bed with us during the night. I tried physical therapy, massages, nothing worked. I finally went to a chiro and within three visits it was fixed, I had a pinched nerve in my neck. I also was suffering from weakness in my right shoulder, especially on last set of any shoulder pressing movements or bench.

I went to an ortho to figure out wtf was wrong, turns out after an MRI I have rotator cuff tendonitis, bicep tendonitis, a slight rotator cuff tear, and a labrum tear. He said at my age, and my physical activity level he would be shocked if I didn't have that issue and thinks I may have same in left side although wasn't nearly as bad.

I cut back on pressing movements to about 60-70% of my max and started taking this stuff I found on Amazon, Pure Therapro R Acute Injury pills, supposed to help with tendon/ligament support.

I am almost back to full use, still a lil bit of RS weakness but nothing like it was.

M

Massive G

VIP Member
Apr 10, 2020
I have been lucky no shoulder surgery yet. Many years ago during my peak I was Smith close gripping 405 and felt a twinge in my left shoulder in my anterior delta area.
I believe looking back it was a small tear in the cuff.
For months I had tons of pain. Tried every thing massage ice heat ibuprofen bromelain dmso gh and saline dextrose injection.
Finally stopped training it and did one arm Smith presses for delts and chest and was able to preserve size switched to reverse grip for back.
Healed but never the same again and both shoulders are shot but train around them.
Dread the day I have to get surgery it's coming the only thing helping me now on all body parts is training super slow and strict with reduced time between sets.
Also never go lower than 8 reps if not 10 and no forced reps or beyond failure. I will occasionally extend the sets either with rest pause or descending sets.

Gotta hate aging and getting old but have to adapt and train smart. Many of my friends have fallen wayside as they continue to heavy bench and squat and dead lift even after recovery from torn pecs quads and cuff surgery.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
. . . .
Dread the day I have to get surgery it's coming the only thing helping me now on all body parts is training super slow and strict with reduced time between sets.
Also never go lower than 8 reps if not 10 and no forced reps or beyond failure. I will occasionally extend the sets either with rest pause or descending sets.

Gotta hate aging and getting old but have to adapt and train smart. Many of my friends have fallen wayside as they continue to heavy bench and squat and dead lift even after recovery from torn pecs quads and cuff surgery.
THIS. The Brain, and the Ego, like to think they know the best way to train, but as both get older, they're not smart enough to listen to signals the Body is sending.

All the techniques you mention are how older Bodies can teach learning-challenged Brains and Egos how it is possible to keep training and getting satisfaction from a quality workout long after ego-driven trainees drop by the wayside.

I do some of the techniques you mention, but before any workout I always remind myself "super slow is the way to go." Saves money on buying more plates if you have a home gym too :)

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic