What's New?

BP med timing

• Thread starter The other Snake
  • Start Date
The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Talked to my Dr. about taking my BP med in the morning. Figured if it going to make me pee, I'd rather be up for it than add another night time trip to the can. Apparently taking it at night cuts your chance of a heart attack or stroke in half compared to taking it during the morning.

Pop those BP meds at night TID!

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
Depends on what you’re taking. For many pressure lowering meds they recommend night time so you don’t pass out from lowering BP too much when it peaks. Same reason why they tell you to take Flomax at night. Can’t pass out if you’re already laying down ;)

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Interesting. My BP medication is losartan, and I take half my daily dose in the morning, and the other half at night before bed. Maybe splitting it in half is for the same reason....

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
My Dr says to take it first thing in the AM so you don't forget. He says the most important thing is actually taking it daily. Somebody told me the same thing you just said; so I asked him at my physical last year.

I'd be willing to bet that for the most part this is like meal timing in the diet. Probably helps a bit, but the most important thing is actually being consistent with the diet.

Snachito1

Snachito1

VIP Member
Jan 12, 2018
I take lisinopril it has a hydrochlorathiazide in the pill which is a mild diuretic I believe I would be peeing all night long if I took it at night. I'm waiting for the same meds only these are singular
, so I'll try taking the lisinopril without the hyrdro in it at night and the hyrdro pill in the morning. Anything that can help cut down heart problems in half I'll take it!!

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Interesting. My BP medication is losartan, and I take half my daily dose in the morning, and the other half at night before bed. Maybe splitting it in half is for the same reason....
I take a low dose Losartan and it has diuretic properties, that's why I asked. I'm now worried less about getting up to pee than I am not getting up at all and being room temperature.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
My sorry ass doctor never said a word about the varying strategies as to peeing or dying, or as to which bp med does which.

Glad this thread happened.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
I take a low dose Losartan and it has diuretic properties, that's why I asked. I'm now worried less about getting up to pee than I am not getting up at all and being room temperature.
Probably affects the sex life as well if Wifey wakes up wanting some, and every part of you is stiff except that part.

LITTLEMAGS

LITTLEMAGS

VIP Member
Nov 1, 2010
Due to my HCM I take atenolol and morning only.

Warrior45

Warrior45

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 9, 2012
I started taking mine at night and noticed I wasn't as sleepy during the day. Lisinopril & Toprol.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic