Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism

Squat in shoes?

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
When I started lifting seriously again (over a decade ago) it was powerlifting style, trying to PR my squat, bench, and deadlift. At the time I got myself a pair of squat shoes with somewhat of a heel.

A few years ago I started transitioning more to a bodybuilding routine and largely cut back on the max weight and gone for time-under-tension and pump. I've continued to use those shoes.

Now I've been noticing lots of pictures of people squatting barefoot. While I knew people recommended something like Chuck Taylors I never thought of going au natural.

What is recommended?

Tomas Payne

Tomas Payne

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2014
I heard those shoes that wear basically gloves for your feet, they say you work all the muscles on your feet and legs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
I've squatted every way from barefoot to oly shoes to chucks...

I prefer good old fashioned chucks. Some of the newer chucks have thicker soles - no bueno imo. I'd go barefoot over that.

Snake has squatted over 600 in circa 1988 white new balances...it's all user preference. I agree with Louie's quote on this one - don't have $100 squat shoes and a 10 cent squat.

ValeTudo8080

ValeTudo8080

VIP Member
Aug 31, 2011
soccer shoes are awesome to work legs in ....the sole is stiff and doesn't give like a regular gym shoes.

maybe try barefoot and see......i just feel the shoe helps take the stress off the heel and once you injure your foot you can be in bad shape trying to get it to heal.

S

SilverFox

Oct 31, 2018
soccer shoes are awesome to work legs in ....the sole is stiff and doesn't give like a regular gym shoes.

maybe try barefoot and see......i just feel the shoe helps take the stress off the heel and once you injure your foot you can be in bad shape trying to get it to heal.
Yes a good shoe will give your feet the stability and support and reduce the risk of an injury...that's my 2 cents.

ValeTudo8080

ValeTudo8080

VIP Member
Aug 31, 2011
I will say if you want to strengthen the feet walking /running in bare feet is a great way to achieve that without much risk of injury from my experience

O

OldPLer

Nov 29, 2010
It all depends on your preference and what works best for you. I have used all kinds, not barefoot but ended up with 1 1/8 inch heel. Works for me.

I

ikefinnell

Mar 7, 2022
For children, it is important to choose good and quality shoes because their shoes are always spoiled and broken quickly.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
For children, it is important to choose good and quality shoes because their shoes are always spoiled and broken quickly.
You don't say? Are you buying the people of Moldova good shoes since they are getting invaded next?

myosin

myosin

VIP Member
May 27, 2011
Phil Hernon would have some of his guys squat barefoot as the foot/body is then working more to stabilize, thus activating more muscle... but I think it was more in competitive BB's... as usual, the question to ask is, "What are my goals?"

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic