Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Overtraining: Recognize It and Prevent It

Ogre717

Ogre717

TID Official Lab Rat
Jul 22, 2011
Brother you really know how write. You hit all the key points w/o beating a dead horse or diving too far into the specifics and loosing the reader. excelent write up. keep them comming.

Miss Q

Miss Q

TID Lady Member
Aug 13, 2011
Great article POB. I will say even though I am not a newb overtraining is probably my biggest mistake.My brain says GO GO GO and my body wont keep up. I learned a very harsh lesson about overtraining last year.Unfortunatly it happened at nationals.I got through three events and then there was nothing left.My body shut down .I dont ever want to have this happen again.I lost 5 months of hard work in a matter of hours.So while it is frustrating to back off and take a break it is well worth it in the end. I cannot thank Amma and her Husband enough for getting me on the right track.Oh yeah and chewing my ass when I start tipping toward the overtraining side ;).

Hi! I'm new here and am intrested in your competition history. How often do you compete? What division do you compete in...etc....would love to see pics....maybe you have some posted on TID already?? :)

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Hi! I'm new here and am intrested in your competition history. How often do you compete? What division do you compete in...etc....would love to see pics....maybe you have some posted on TID already?? :)

Miss Q rottenrogue is a strongwoman competitor an you can follow along with her training. Look under the member online journal forum for her log. You should also do a little intro post under new member intro's :)

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
Quoted from PillarofBalance-

Over training is a miserable place to be. We work so hard to make progress, and its always so slow coming so to have your progress reversed for the sake of "being hardcore 24/7" is simply not wise in my opinion. In fact allowing yourself to over train isn't hardcore either. I think that a real hard core competitor or fitness enthusiast will exercise the discipline to de-load. Also, you must remember that AAS will not stop you from becoming over trained if you are not resting and eating properly.

So hopefully you're not reading this and thinking "Oh my God that's me!" But whether you are recognizing that or not, you should still work to incorporate some of the treatments and prevention strategies I have outlined above.

Wow...what crazy timing for me to read this post, as I am currently on day 5 of my week (or 2 week) long break!!!....I am one of those that said "Oh my God that's me!!" Started my training this past Jan and literally kept the following gym schedule until mid March-

AM- Cardio 60mins on empty stomach
LUNCH- Lift one body part = 60 min + 60 min = cardio
PM- Lift another body part or do calves/abs= 45 min + 60 min cardio
**** I did this M-F everyday for 3 months.
Weekends usually consisted of AM cardio and then back for lifting /cardio in the PM

Add that up....5 hours a day at the gym plus weekends....I have no idea how I ran on the adrenaline and excitement of seeing my body change, for so long. So, guess what happened? Out of stupidity I over trained and YES... it is now a miserable place to be!!! For the past 4 months I cut back to 2 hrs a day w/ some weekends off and still.....BOOM....the misery hit me all at once. Suddenly I can't complete w/outs, have terrible cardio sessions and just 0 desire to be at the gym and this is 5 moths later! My body finally shut down so I decided to take a break...will a week be long enough? I don't know....I just want the excitement back!!!

Without even looking at the "I did this for 3 months".. that just screams overtraining. ... I"ve done 3 hrs of cardio for prep and IMO its massive overkill. I got better results w/ 2 x 1 hr cardio + different diet (better diet).

Back in 2001-2002 I hired a guy for prep who way overtrained me (and not even to 2-3 hrs of cardio -- in fact he wouldnt' let me do more than an hr... also bad advice... poor results.. my body type needs 2 hrs of cardio to get results) -- The end result was borderline metabolic shutdown, gained 30 lb and took me 6 months to get things back in order -from emotional to physical.

I think if you're experiencing bad training sessions, miserable emotional state, etc.. its your body telling you go to go fuck yourself and take some goddamn time off. I'm not sure a week is going to do it - but rather take the time & listen to your body. Your mind can't MAKE your body do more than it can do.

KBD

KBD

I Look Good...
Sep 13, 2010
Aint no such thang as overtrainin on gear, get in the gym and TRAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I think it's worse with the gear. When your skwat suddenly shoots up 100lbs it can be difficult to recover from that. KBD is maybe half right though at least. The increased protein synthesis has to help to a great degree. But the central nervous system can still be overloaded.

KBD

KBD

I Look Good...
Sep 13, 2010
Im just messin, although you would have to be a compelte moron to overtrain, as it is quite hard to overtrain on gear. If someone overtrained on 500mg of test id laugh in their face and call them a moron.

babybull34

babybull34

Jul 11, 2011
I think it's worse with the gear. When your skwat suddenly shoots up 100lbs it can be difficult to recover from that. KBD is maybe half right though at least. The increased protein synthesis has to help to a great degree. But the central nervous system can still be overloaded.

Dead on accurate. I agree with this, POB, very true. It does aid in recovery by leaps and bonds, but to facilitate that extra training you have to provide your body with enough extra rest and calories to compensate for the added abuse. To keep those ratios in balance (and these are different for everyone) one must address all aspects of their training if they are going to increase intensity. It is very easy to over-train on gear or not get enough rest and/or sustenance to compensate for the higher training loads causing a negative return i.e. more harm than good. Great post, POB.

pux888

pux888

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2010
Im just messin, although you would have to be a compelte moron to overtrain, as it is quite hard to overtrain on gear. If someone overtrained on 500mg of test id laugh in their face and call them a moron.

If you have never overtrained on gear then you are not training with the intensity you should... if you dont step out of the rack, fall over and puke then you havent trained hard enough. If you can walk straight, sit or stand without pain, drive a clutch without a cramp, brush your teeth, or wash your hair without pain then your not training hard enough. Knowing when to rest and relax is key. Insane intensity is what really brings your body up to a new level, if your not teetering on the boarder of an injury then you need to bring it up a notch! Just my opinion.

babybull34

babybull34

Jul 11, 2011
If you have never overtrained on gear then you are not training with the intensity you should... if you dont step out of the rack, fall over and puke then you havent trained hard enough. If you can walk straight, sit or stand without pain, drive a clutch without a cramp, brush your teeth, or wash your hair without pain then your not training hard enough. Knowing when to rest and relax is key. Insane intensity is what really brings your body up to a new level, if your not teetering on the boarder of an injury then you need to bring it up a notch! Just my opinion.

You said it all my friend... you said it all.

KBD

KBD

I Look Good...
Sep 13, 2010
Ive damaged my ACL, and ive hurt both rotator cuffs, puked while doing deadlifts, spent 2-3 hrs in the gym. Believe me if thats overtraining, then i must over train all the time.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic