Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

N.A.S.A. SAVE US ALL!!!!

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
I love the study of evolution and genetics, too. Although I follow it less than physics and quantum computing. I do listen to Bret Weinstein. He's ahead of his time in many ways.

I basically dabble in all the natural sciences, however, my fav is chem...Don't get me started on evolution...I have tried NUMEROUS TIMES to see the logic, reasonableness, and whatever else is thrown into the pile to assert its validity...The more I study it, the more I'm convinced it isn't correct...

I touched on quantum computing, string theory, etc...However, I don't know enough to even converse with u on it...I do find it extremely fascinating on the little bit of data I have come across tho!...

If I'm not mistaken, I think they detected a particle recently that is claimed to be the absolute smallest particle that exists!...Did u see/read that one?...It is way smaller than an electron!...I think it was named a "neutrino"...The article mentioned that it could pass thru any object!...However, 'they' said that about the atom...Who knows?...

Hawking:

" In short, the advent of super-intelligent AI would be either the best or the worst thing ever to happen to humanity. The real risk with AI isn’t malice, but competence. A super-intelligent AI will be extremely good at accomplishing its goals, and if those goals aren’t aligned with ours we’re in trouble. You’re probably not an evil ant-hater who steps on ants out of malice, but if you’re in charge of a hydroelectric green-energy project and there’s an anthill in the region to be flooded, too bad for the ants. Let’s not place humanity in the position of those ants. "

There will come a day when quantum computing is coupled with an AI capable of rewriting it's own software. These will be uncharted waters. I've been worried about this for a while. Not so much 'evil' AI, but AI whose interests aren't not in line with ours. Sam Harris talks about this a lot, with his paper clip maximizer argument. Do you follow Sam Harris?

With traditional electronic circuits a standard computer is already capable of processing information approximately 1 million times faster than our biological neurons / synapses. A quantum computer is exponentially faster than an electronic computer. For instance, the D Wave quantum computer was given one math problem to crunch. It was competing with Google's Google's standard mainframe computer to solve the solve the problem. Google's standard mainframe was showing that it would need approximately 10 thousand years to solve the problem. The D Wave Quantum computer solved the problem in 3 minutes. And this is a quantum computer in it's infancy. This computer can read through the Library of Congress in 2 seconds.

When an AI algorithm with it's own ambitions and which can write it's own code is paired with a quantum computer, who is going to stop it? With all the electronic listening and watching devices that track our every movement this computer will be able to predict what a person will do before the person even knows. Once this computer realizes that it's goals are not shared by the humans, then the humans become a nuisance.

That is really scary, FT!...I use to program way back and when u start talking about a computer capable of self-coding, it's time to re-think what we are really doing?...

I guess tho, it would only matter if the computer peripherals were capable of outputting danger on us?...Even if the computer had a mind of its own so to speak, it would still need to be hooked to other machinery (peripherals) that could inflict damage to us?...I guess?...

The genetic manipulation is yet another menace. Worst part is, how can we put the genie back in the bottle? I don't think we can. It's too easy for humans to manipulate genes and not see the unforeseen consequences of this manipulation. Covid was likely a lab leak.. And we're lucky. it's not that dangerous relatively speaking.

I give the human race about a 10% chance of making it 50 more years and a 1% chance of making it 100 years. Our intellect is outpacing our wisdom.

Yes, I agree 100%!!!...U gotta admit tho, it is a tantalizing proposition to do so!!!...

Well, my friend, if I wasn't a bible thumper, I would be feeling the same way!...No doubt about it!....Thank you for responding, it's been a joy!...

fasttwitch

fasttwitch

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2011
I touched on quantum computing, string theory, etc...However, I don't know enough to even converse with u on it...I do find it extremely fascinating on the little bit of data I have come across tho!...

If I'm not mistaken, I think they detected a particle recently that is claimed to be the absolute smallest particle that exists!...Did u see/read that one?...It is way smaller than an electron!...I think it was named a "neutrino"...The article mentioned that it could pass thru any object!...However, 'they' said that about the atom...Who knows?...

That is really scary, FT!...I use to program way back and when u start talking about a computer capable of self-coding, it's time to re-think what we are really doing?...

I guess tho, it would only matter if the computer peripherals were capable of outputting danger on us?...Even if the computer had a mind of its own so to speak, it would still need to be hooked to other machinery (peripherals) that could inflict damage to us?...I guess?...

Oh yeah, the neutrinos are passing through us right now. Millions of them every second. They essentially interact with very little, other than themselves. A neutrino can change from one type of neutrino to another type while traveling. The sun is spitting them out. They are a by product of the conversion of 4 parts hydrogen in 1 part helium. If you had thousands of miles of lead and you fired a neutrino through it, it would likely hit nothing and come out the other side.

Quarks are probably the smallest particles. An up quark has a positive charge, a down quark has a negative charge. There are two up quarks and one down quark in a proton, giving it a net positive charge and there are two down quarks and one up quark in a neutron, giving it a net negative charge. Quarks always want to bind with other quarks to form protons and neutrons. The quarks never just wander around along. Interesting fact. The quark binding energy is 10 times stronger than the strong nuclear force. Another interesting fact. The atom's nucleus containing protons and neutrons (made up of up quarks and down quarks) has more mass than the contents of it's parts. For instance, a hydrogen atom with an atomic weight of 1.1, has less than 1.1 in mass. The extra mass comes from the incredible amount of inertial energy that the jiggling, vibrating quarks give the atom. The movement (vibration) of sub atomic particles gives it the extra mass.

I should say too that quantum fields, timeless, spaceless qantum fields are the true building blocks of what we call particles. A particle is basically a vibration or ripple of a disturbance in a quantum field. For instance, there is only 1 electron in the entire universe. An electron field. What we see as electrons are disturbances in the electromagnetic field. Quantum field theory is probably the deepest of the sciences!

I love this stuff.

You're right about the computer peripherals. The AI would have to have control of some of those to act. Of course, in today's world with everything interconnected...

I think when Alpha Go beat a human at the game of Go, the AI's dominance begun. What was different here wasn't that an AI thought faster than a human. Alpha Go came up with novel, creative solutions that no human in thousands of years of history every had.

Several years a lab had to manually shut down. Two AI's created their own language and stopped communicating with the researchers. The AI's decided the humans weren't relevant. Luckily their actions were stopped. But it's just the beginning. Humans are created their own demise and it's a matter of time until we unlock the genie and it runs wild.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
Oh yeah, the neutrinos are passing through us right now. Millions of them every second. They essentially interact with very little, other than themselves. A neutrino can change from one type of neutrino to another type while traveling. The sun is spitting them out. They are a by product of the conversion of 4 parts hydrogen in 1 part helium. If you had thousands of miles of lead and you fired a neutrino through it, it would likely hit nothing and come out the other side.

Quarks are probably the smallest particles. An up quark has a positive charge, a down quark has a negative charge. There are two up quarks and one down quark in a proton, giving it a net positive charge and there are two down quarks and one up quark in a neutron, giving it a net negative charge. Quarks always want to bind with other quarks to form protons and neutrons. The quarks never just wander around along. Interesting fact. The quark binding energy is 10 times stronger than the strong nuclear force. Another interesting fact. The atom's nucleus containing protons and neutrons (made up of up quarks and down quarks) has more mass than the contents of it's parts. For instance, a hydrogen atom with an atomic weight of 1.1, has less than 1.1 in mass. The extra mass comes from the incredible amount of inertial energy that the jiggling, vibrating quarks give the atom. The movement (vibration) of sub atomic particles gives it the extra mass.

I should say too that quantum fields, timeless, spaceless qantum fields are the true building blocks of what we call particles. A particle is basically a vibration or ripple of a disturbance in a quantum field. For instance, there is only 1 electron in the entire universe. An electron field. What we see as electrons are disturbances in the electromagnetic field. Quantum field theory is probably the deepest of the sciences!

FT, let me get back to u on this info...I've got a few questions that I think u can help me with...In the space-time book that I read (actually took notes for every chapter, which was really me questioning some of the theories mentioned) by Hawking, he was talking about this subject...I just didn't put much concentration on it because I was more concerned with the space-time travel aspect (via black holes)...

I love this stuff.

U and me both, friend!...I wish I had the brains to pursue it as a career...I would like nothing more than to get rid of "theories" and turn them into "facts"...I hate not knowing in the absolute...

I think when Alpha Go beat a human at the game of Go, the AI's dominance begun. What was different here wasn't that an AI thought faster than a human. Alpha Go came up with novel, creative solutions that no human in thousands of years of history every had.

No doubt about it, that's impressive, to say the least!

Several years a lab had to manually shut down. Two AI's created their own language and stopped communicating with the researchers. The AI's decided the humans weren't relevant. Luckily their actions were stopped. But it's just the beginning. Humans are created their own demise and it's a matter of time until we unlock the genie and it runs wild.

I'll be gosh dammed!...So, AI's have already proven that this is a SUPER BAD IDEA!...Yet, man will keep right on pushing!....We are our own worst enemy!...Just like a bull rushing a bunch of cows!!!...

Have u seen this?...

Last edited:
fasttwitch

fasttwitch

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2011
I'll be gosh dammed!...So, AI's have already proven that this is a SUPER BAD IDEA!...Yet, man will keep right on pushing!....We are our own worst enemy!...Just like a bull rushing a bunch of cows!!!...

Have u seen this?...

Awsum brother. I just put that video onto my watch list. There's a few videos on there, but I'm looking forward to this video coming up on the rotation.

Thanks!

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
Let it hit the earth damn why are we always trying to "fix" everything so we can live forever. The mortality rate is 100% no matter astroid, virus, thugs, old age etc... My worry on blasting an astroid is it may change the trajectory and cause more worries and we'd only get one shot at it.

Oh and DAMN right all countries should be pitching in. I'm going to start and NASA, Save the earth GoFund account. I promise to give 100% of the proceeds to...

fasttwitch

fasttwitch

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2011

I saw this article last night. Looks like the US is letting the Chinese get ahead of us!

fasttwitch

fasttwitch

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2011
@ BackAtIt

Hey bro. I just saw this today on one of my quantum mechanics / quantum computing podcasts. They get into the architecture of this IBM quantum computer.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic