Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

N.A.S.A. SAVE US ALL!!!!

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
So, we have lived on this planet for millenniums and never have had to worry about deflecting an asteroid before hitting and destroying the earth?!...I can only imagine the literal tons of money this will cost the "AMERICAN PEOPLE" :rolleyes:....

I guess when/and if they (NASA) deflect it, NASA will be able to make the claim that they "saved us all" from the apocalypse!...

Does anyone feel as tho this is unnecessary?...

NASA Launches Mission to Stop Killer Asteroid From Destroying Earth. Really. (msn.com)

fasttwitch

fasttwitch

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2011
So, we have lived on this planet for millenniums and never have had to worry about deflecting an asteroid before hitting and destroying the earth?!...I can only imagine the literal tons of money this will cost the "AMERICAN PEOPLE" :rolleyes:....

I guess when/and if they (NASA) deflect it, NASA will be able to make the claim that they "saved us all" from the apocalypse!...

Does anyone feel as tho this is unnecessary?...

NASA Launches Mission to Stop Killer Asteroid From Destroying Earth. Really. (msn.com)

You might think so, but it's actually the most probable way we go out. An asteroid just hit Jupiter and punched an earth sized hole in it.

The bigger argument to me is:

1) can it actually be deflected? It's not as easy as it seems. It's hard to deflect it enough unless you have a lot of time to deflect it a tiny little bit when it's very very far away. If you deflect it even 0.001% when it's tens of millions of miles away it could miss earth easily. But do we actually have the ability to do that? And if we don't hit it just right we actually create a pile of thousands or millions of pieces and now we have to worry about all those pieces! I'm a physics nerd, it's a passion of mine. And the physicists I've listened on this issue are doubtful whether this would work. And speed matters. An asteroid moving 10,000 miles per hour is one thing.. An asteroid moving 300,000 MPH is quite another.

2) This should be paid for by every country, ideally (if it can be done).

Luckily earth is an inner planet and the larger outer gas giants catch the majority of the asteroids that come fly in. But every now and then something misses us. Or at best gets trapped in our orbit like the tennis court sized chunk of rock earth's orbit just caught.

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
1) can it actually be deflected? It's not as easy as it seems. It's hard to deflect it enough unless you have a lot of time to deflect it a tiny little bit when it's very very far away. If you deflect it even 0.001% when it's tens of millions of miles away it could miss earth easily. But do we actually have the ability to do that? And if we don't hit it just right we actually create a pile of thousands or millions of pieces and now we have to worry about all those pieces! I'm a physics nerd, it's a passion of mine. And the physicists I've listened on this issue are doubtful whether this would work. And speed matters. An asteroid moving 10,000 miles per hour is one thing.. An asteroid moving 300,000 MPH is quite another.
This is actually the goal. The asteroid in the experiment is no danger to the earth (unless they really screw up).

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
Honestly, do u guys really think we have to worry about an asteroid *destroying* the planet?...I ask this because supposedly the earth is billions of years old, yet out of all those billions of years earth is still here....

I do realize, however, that we are susceptible to rarely being hit by an asteroid...Again tho, with the earth being around for billions of years, and it hasn't incurred an asteroid of such that destroyed it, (earth) I can't see (feel) the danger that is being purported....It just seems like a whole lot of money wasted...

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
I'm a physics nerd, it's a passion of mine.

I'm more into chemistry, however, I dab a little with physics!...Have u had a chance to read Steven Hawkings' book on space-time?...It's a good read if u haven't...Black holes are the theme, however, there are a lot of theories that are explained in this book...

fasttwitch

fasttwitch

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2011
I'm more into chemistry, however, I dab a little with physics!...Have u had a chance to read Steven Hawkings' book on space-time?...It's a good read if u haven't...Black holes are the theme, however, there are a lot of theories that are explained in this book...

I listened to an audio version years ago. He was an impressive mind. He changed the whole understanding of black holes. I think up until his paper on black hole radiating away they were thought to be time infinite. And he influenced the new "fuzzball" theory of the interior of black holes. Fascinating!

These days I follow the work of Sean Carroll and Sabine Hossenfelder. Among others, but those two are extremely clear thinking.

I've become increasingly interested in quantum mechanics over the last few years. Entropy and the arrow of time. Whether spacetime is intrinsic or whether it's an emergent property of quantum fields interacting. I strongly suspect it is.

I listen to a lot of physics discussions too regarding quantum wave function collapse. And all the interpretations of what is happening with it.

Working at home for myself allows me to keep the lectures running all day as I work. Makes the day go faster for me.

Chemistry is the shit brother. In many ways more complex than the other sciences!

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
@fasttwitch,

Whacha thank about this, brah?...I've been studying genetics too (currently reading a book on genetics), and when u look into CRISPR and what the Chinese are doing, Hawking might be onto something...Quiet disturbing to say the least! :(:eek:o_O

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
@fasttwitch,

Whacha thank about this, brah?...I've been studying genetics too (currently reading a book on genetics), and when u look into CRISPR and what the Chinese are doing, Hawking might be onto something...Quiet disturbing to say the least! :(:eek:o_O

*quite*...haha, that's what I meant!...

Last edited:
BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
Can't we just move earth?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

There is only ONE Goldielock (sweet spot) position that we (earth) can be in/at....We are stuck in this orbit...Also, our tilt is just right...In other words, no we can't...Even if we had the capability to move the planet, there wouldn't be any point to move it to...Odd how the earth somehow obtained an orbit that has to be so precise for life as we know it to exist?!...Even if the earth were to change its tilt and orbit just a little, things wouldn't go so well for us...

I figure u know this, but there might be someone who hasn't learned it yet...:)

fasttwitch

fasttwitch

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2011
@fasttwitch,

I love the study of evolution and genetics, too. Although I follow it less than physics and quantum computing. I do listen to Bret Weinstein. He's ahead of his time in many ways.

Hawking:

" In short, the advent of super-intelligent AI would be either the best or the worst thing ever to happen to humanity. The real risk with AI isn’t malice, but competence. A super-intelligent AI will be extremely good at accomplishing its goals, and if those goals aren’t aligned with ours we’re in trouble. You’re probably not an evil ant-hater who steps on ants out of malice, but if you’re in charge of a hydroelectric green-energy project and there’s an anthill in the region to be flooded, too bad for the ants. Let’s not place humanity in the position of those ants. "

There will come a day when quantum computing is coupled with an AI capable of rewriting it's own software. These will be uncharted waters. I've been worried about this for a while. Not so much 'evil' AI, but AI whose interests aren't not in line with ours. Sam Harris talks about this a lot, with his paper clip maximizer argument. Do you follow Sam Harris?

With traditional electronic circuits a standard computer is already capable of processing information approximately 1 million times faster than our biological neurons / synapses. A quantum computer is exponentially faster than an electronic computer. For instance, the D Wave quantum computer was given one math problem to crunch. It was competing with Google's Google's standard mainframe computer to solve the solve the problem. Google's standard mainframe was showing that it would need approximately 10 thousand years to solve the problem. The D Wave Quantum computer solved the problem in 3 minutes. And this is a quantum computer in it's infancy. This computer can read through the Library of Congress in 2 seconds.

When an AI algorithm with it's own ambitions and which can write it's own code is paired with a quantum computer, who is going to stop it? With all the electronic listening and watching devices that track our every movement this computer will be able to predict what a person will do before the person even knows. Once this computer realizes that it's goals are not shared by the humans, then the humans become a nuisance.

The genetic manipulation is yet another menace. Worst part is, how can we put the genie back in the bottle? I don't think we can. It's too easy for humans to manipulate genes and not see the unforeseen consequences of this manipulation. Covid was likely a lab leak.. And we're lucky. it's not that dangerous relatively speaking.

I give the human race about a 10% chance of making it 50 more years and a 1% chance of making it 100 years. Our intellect is outpacing our wisdom.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic