Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Right Shoulder Impingement won't go away

B

BuckFifty627

Sep 25, 2021
First time poster, just found this forum. Hopefully I can get some information that I haven't from my doctor.

For the last 3-5 months I've been dealing with a shoulder impingement in my right shoulder. I've been on a training program for about 6 years now where I train chest using dumbbells. In that time I've grown from 45's to the 150's and was working on getting to where I can rep the 150's consistently instead of just maxing on it. When I first felt this pain in my shoulder I didn't know what it was. I only felt it when I pressed, specifically when I locked out and after I released the weights. It seemed to be worse on decline but that could be because it just got worse as I did incline in flat first. After the gym I have 0 issues with it. No other muscle group is affected either (Shoulders, Biceps, Triceps, Back). Its only when I do presses.

I've really focused on not flaring my elbows, not moving my shoulders (rounding them forward), and even stopping just before the top (that didn't work, usually I feel the pain just at the point I think to stop). I've taken several rest weeks but it just comes back and gets progressively more intense week after week (chest is one day a week), but again no pain except when doing bench press, dips, flys, or any chest centric workout.

I've heard some say you need to strengthen your rotator cuff but I'm not sure thats the issue. Any opinions and personal experiences you want to share would be appreciated. Also, if you know of the type of doctor that would be best suited for this that would help as well (going to look for an orthopedic this week).

Thanks in advance!

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Welcome to TID, here is a link to the new member's into forum. Stop by and do an intro so everyone can get to know you.

New Member Introductions | Body Building Forum - The Iron Den

Shoulders have been a problem of mine for years. In order to be able to work with them I pretty much had to change everything, including the way I slept on them. I need surgery on both but I have learned to work with them and continue to grow.

I tried the strengthening shit at the beginning but I found I wasn't getting to the root of the problem and until I did, the problem wasn't going anywhere. I'm going to tell you what I would do based on my experience and the info you have provided. You may get different replies so I would suggest taking the best from the replies and see what works for you.

First, I would take time off again to get some healing time in. You are going to want as little pain as possible when you start back up then you will want to stay away from the heavy weight for a while. I would cut the weight back to at least 100lb dumbbells from the 150s and work on some reps. You will be able to tear your muscles down properly with the reps unless you are feeling pain.

If you get to where you are adding weight again and start running into trouble, lower the weights again and do more reps.

It sounds like you are pushing pretty hard and you may be at the limit so it's screwing with your shoulder. If you do decide to drop the weights back, focus on form and slower movements. If you keep feeling the pain, drop the weights even more and add reps and keep slowing down.

My reps on chest and shoulders range from 25 to 40. Yes, not a typo so don't worry about the lighter weights. I won't be able to go back to heavy but you might be able to. If you get back up to that weight again and it does the same thing, you may consider lightening up all the time.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
Welcome to TID, friend!...HDH threw out some good advice, especially in regards to dropping the amount of weight u are pushing....

I tend to bend toward your rotor cuff being the issue?....Out of curiosity, do u experience the same pain (level) if you press extremely lightweight?....How about when u do pull-ups?...U might want to try and research DC (DoggCrapp) as he has some unorthodox methods for dealing with this type of issue...I'm guessing if it is your rotor cuff, then it at this point is minor...DC's methods for this type of problem might clear it up without having to take the DR. route?....Good luck!....I know how it is to be in pain constantly!...

Reactions: HDH
B

BuckFifty627

Sep 25, 2021
Thanks for the reply's, its a great change of pace to actually have something else to consider other than "if it hurts to work out don't work out" or "forums don't replace doctors".

I will definently embrace a light period in my lifting. Actually about to move so this gives me a great excuse to drop off and then rebuild. Really appreciate the other insights you offered as well HDH.

BackAtlt, I thought it was rotator as well at first as well. However, lat raises have no issues, pullups have no issues, none of my other exercises have issues. I will look up DC to see what he has to say. I've also read somewhere that someone promotes dead hangs to deal with pain and some people have had a lot of success with that. The good news is I only feel it when I lift an maybe a short while between sets.

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
You may also consider moving to machines for a while. I prefer the double stack weights so each arm works independently like the DBs. They are most of my pressing movements chest or shoulders. I have found they will do the least damage to existing problems. They may help to get a little strength as well before you start back with free weights, or even a mix.

Running GH helps tremendously with recovery time for me as well.

Warhead14

Warhead14

TID Board Of Directors
Jul 23, 2011
I have had both shoulders operated on. If you go through with that, DO NOT LET THEM SLING YOU. My doctor had a chair that moved my arm up and down starting day 1. My friend got a sling and it froze his shoulder with scar tissue. The right ortho is critical! Ask whoever you consider if they sling the patient, if they do, wrong guy. I doubt it will ever heal on its own, and it will get worse with time. Just my experience anyway..

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
I have had both shoulders operated on. If you go through with that, DO NOT LET THEM SLING YOU. My doctor had a chair that moved my arm up and down starting day 1. My friend got a sling and it froze his shoulder with scar tissue. The right ortho is critical! Ask whoever you consider if they sling the patient, if they do, wrong guy. I doubt it will ever heal on its own, and it will get worse with time. Just my experience anyway..

First I've seen that concept. How did that work for you scheduling-wise? Was the chair in the doctor's office or in a physical therapy place related to him? How many times a week did you do this ... and for how many total weeks was this part of your recovery done? Did the doctor work with you on this or a PT he referred?

Thnx in advance.

Warhead14

Warhead14

TID Board Of Directors
Jul 23, 2011
First I've seen that concept. How did that work for you scheduling-wise? Was the chair in the doctor's office or in a physical therapy place related to him? How many times a week did you do this ... and for how many total weeks was this part of your recovery done? Did the doctor work with you on this or a PT he referred?

Thnx in advance.
Oh was delivered to the house. I did it 2-4 hours a day just chilln. I also did 4iu of HGH and the doctor was SHOCKED how fast I recovered. I told him what I did, he said it was a great idea. I didnt do PT, the chair was PT. It was similar to this... https://mfimedical.com/products/cha...MI7Lf11-iu8wIVlRx9Ch25OQIUEAQYBSABEgLC0_D_BwE

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
I myself am dealing with a shoulder impingement. I got mine from Taking about year off from weights and jumping into Heavy low bar squats. Mine was caused by weak supporting muscles and tightness.

Search on Youtube for shoulder impingement exercises. Get some really light bands and try them out. You will need to drop weight and take more time warming up.

You mentioned DB press hurt, but does Barbell presses hurt as well?

IcyHot, Tiger Balm, Equi-Block all help. Use these throw on a hoodie during warm ups and band work. I also rub on DMSO after my workout.

I've found that Flat Barbell Bench doesn't hurt much and my strength isn't as effected. DB's specially heavier ones. If you get pain your form gives and may end up hurting yourself more. So IMO I wouldn't go over 50-60lbs.

Right now I'm staying away from Military, DB declines and any type of Fly movement. Unless its light band work.

Also Start putting more focus on the rear delts and upper back. Most injuries are caused from a weak link. If your pressing 150s for reps, my guess is your rear delts, upper back and lats need more development.

Bands will be your best friend for a long time. I've been doing the dead hangs and these Band movements. I felt a big improvement just after a week of doing these.
Exercise1-1.jpg

2ez

VIP Member
Feb 25, 2012
This option would be contingent on the type of injury/surgery yes ? For example, a full tear would require a sling to allow scar tissue to form and then work to loosen. The scar tissue helps to strength what has been reattached.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic