pbtom

Back to wraps

• Thread starter The other Snake
  • Start Date
The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
This last Saturday I put my knee wraps on for the first time in well over a year. OMG, 315x8 felt like a ton of bricks. I have been doing some giant sets for legs to let my body heal an now, like a moth to th flame, want to do some plain ol' squatting.

Thank God I lift by myself or I'd be embarrassed. I have no reason to push for the big numbers but 405 better show up and show up fast.

BigSwolePump

BigSwolePump

VIP Member
May 24, 2017
There are guys in the gym that would kill to squat 315 for 8.

I have worked out in commercial gyms in the past and practically shut the place down while I did sets with 315.

Don't beat yourself up. You will be back to pushing those bigger numbers again in no time.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
There are guys in the gym that would kill to squat 315 for 8.

I have worked out in commercial gyms in the past and practically shut the place down while I did sets with 315.

Don't beat yourself up. You will be back to pushing those bigger numbers again in no time.
I competed in the RPS fed many time. Recently looked at the 220's 55-59 Raw Moden and saw the squat record was 584.25 lbs. If the Good Lord would promise me that I would not get injured, I could make a run at that. I looked back on my records and 2 years ago I finished up with 500x6 prior to shifting to a BBing workout. That was also 2 years ago.

I actually wish the record was in the mid 600's and I would put the foolish idea of competing again to bed. What's fuuked up is in my prime youth I could easly do a triple with that record weight and that was prior to ever using gear. Now all the gear in the world wouldn't get me back. It's hard to get these young guys to understand how youth and hard work trumps gear every time.

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
I competed in the RPS fed many time. Recently looked at the 220's 55-59 Raw Moden and saw the squat record was 584.25 lbs. If the Good Lord would promise me that I would not get injured, I could make a run at that. I looked back on my records and 2 years ago I finished up with 500x6 prior to shifting to a BBing workout. That was also 2 years ago.

I actually wish the record was in the mid 600's and I would put the foolish idea of competing again to bed. What's fuuked up is in my prime youth I could easly do a triple with that record weight and that was prior to ever using gear. Now all the gear in the world wouldn't get me back. It's hard to get these young guys to understand how youth and hard work trumps gear every time.

You don't realize how time works until you get injuries from 38 on - you just don't heal from them the same. I was a 650 lb squatter and since I ruptured my adductor - I've never gone about 405x5. And that was just to prove I could get back to that. It is what it is. Only Tom Brady seems to be able to kick time in the ass.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I've torn a bunch of shit but I refuse to go down without a fight. Now, I'm not Snakes age but I'm in my 40's and I'll squat in the 6's again before the end of next year and I plan on doing it as a 242 in sleeves.

I say it's time to perma bulk and give it hell. One last time to feel that platform under your feet.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Well it didn't take too long but I finally got that extra plate. 405x8 Propably no way I'm reachinng for another plate but at least this is somewhat respectable for the time being.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
You don't realize how time works until you get injuries from 38 on - you just don't heal from them the same. I was a 650 lb squatter and since I ruptured my adductor - I've never gone about 405x5. And that was just to prove I could get back to that. It is what it is. Only Tom Brady seems to be able to kick time in the ass.

So, so true!!!....I got in my first motorcycle accident when I was 7 or 8 (Yamaha,yz-80)....Went on to succumb to many more vehicle mishaps...Not to mention other injuries from other types of "accidents"....It took until my 30's before chronic pain set in....Up until that point (before the onslaught of chronic pain), I would ache at times, but it would subside and I would be fine!...O wo'es me if only people would think before they act!!!!....

Btcowboy

Btcowboy

MuscleHead
Apr 17, 2022
I know its an older thread lol but can relate. 47 and was finally squatting over 400 prepping for a meet. Back down sets maybe 315/335 x 5 and tore a hamstring 4 weeks out. PT appointments out the wazoo, a couple days out from the meet a hail mary and IMS. I was able to do a full meet, albeit a commercial gym squat lol...

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I remember the days of hitting 675x5. Not anymore. I will still go as high as 495 in a rest pause set, but nothing above that. I start losing control of the movement and that is a recipe for injury.

Btcowboy

Btcowboy

MuscleHead
Apr 17, 2022
I remember the days of hitting 675x5. Not anymore. I will still go as high as 495 in a rest pause set, but nothing above that. I start losing control of the movement and that is a recipe for injury.
Squats are one of those lifts for me. When I was doing more hypertrophy work I loved them and was always hungry for more weight on the bar. Powerlifting I have a love hate relationship with them. Best ever for me was 405 raw, and 435 wrapped both singles, wrapped I definitely had more left in the tank.

I have the goal to be back over 400 raw and to be comfortable with them maybe a triple. Hoping for a meet next year and a mid 400 squat at the meet to get a half asses decent squat on the board.

At this point in my a 500 squat seems like a pipe dream.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Squats are one of those lifts for me. When I was doing more hypertrophy work I loved them and was always hungry for more weight on the bar. Powerlifting I have a love hate relationship with them. Best ever for me was 405 raw, and 435 wrapped both singles, wrapped I definitely had more left in the tank.

I have the goal to be back over 400 raw and to be comfortable with them maybe a triple. Hoping for a meet next year and a mid 400 squat at the meet to get a half asses decent squat on the board.

At this point in my a 500 squat seems like a pipe dream.
I wrapped my knees once and did not like it. Never gave it another try. I will put sleeves on during warm ups sometimes if my knees ache, but take them off when I start squatting, leg pressing or hack squatting heavy.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic