Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

What meal reminds you of your mom...or your favorite meal from her?

midevil

midevil

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 20, 2011
She would roast the chicken in a pan with a ton of onions, oil, garlic, once the chicken was done, take the chicken out of the pan and just add the pasta right to the juice. Add some fresh grated cheese, soo good!
Kind of like frying eggs in bacon grease too. Have to do that once in a while to this day!

Now, lets talk about Italian family dinners / get togethers? Pasta with meat sauce, meatballs, baked chicken or roast beef, sides, fresh cut loaves of Italian bread. After dinner the entire dinner table switched from dinner to dessert. Table filled with Canolies (spelling), donuts, ice cream, coffee etc. Feast is the word that comes to mind!

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
My lily white ass is German-Irish-English, but I married a Colicchio so that makes me an Italian-in-law ... and confused.

Don't any of you call the sauce "gravy," like my In-laws did?

slicwilly2000

slicwilly2000

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2010
Pea soup. Pea soup always followed easter ham that was on the bone. Whatever was left would go in the soup pot and the ham would just fall off into the soup. Lasagna is another one.

Slic.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Mom- Pasty

Grandmom- chickadees (cavatelli) with her own homemade gravy. Yeah, we call it call it gravy, not sauce.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
I am now really hungry. So many good foods you all had.

one of my favorite meals from my mom was her Oven fried chicken, with mashed potatoes. She always made this on a cold fall November day. Just loved the way the house smelled.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
one of my favorite meals from my mom was her Oven fried chicken, with mashed potatoes. She always made this on a cold fall November day. Just loved the way the house smelled.
Cold days? Italian wedding soup FTW!

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Gravy vs Sauce is a debate even among Italians...

Wonder if that might be a regional thing ... my father-in-law used to make a point of saying his people were from Naples rather than Sicily. To my non-Italian ass it was all just "Italy," and in my upbringing Italian food all had red sauce and gravy was the brown stuff that came with roast beef, pot roast, etc. My first Thanksgiving dinner with my wife's family surprised the shit outta me when I was asked if I wanted more (red) gravy, and there was spaghetti right there near the turkey and stuffing and such.

S

SilverFox

Oct 31, 2018
Lasagna with meatballs and sauce that had a bit of bite from red pepper. My grandma's lasagna recipe I still have and make it now and then especially around the holidays. As I grew up in an Italian family, so much great food that was lethal to my waistline LOL.

Rider

Rider

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 27, 2010
Wonder if that might be a regional thing ... my father-in-law used to make a point of saying his people were from Naples rather than Sicily. To my non-Italian ass it was all just "Italy," and in my upbringing Italian food all had red sauce and gravy was the brown stuff that came with roast beef, pot roast, etc. My first Thanksgiving dinner with my wife's family surprised the shit outta me when I was asked if I wanted more (red) gravy, and there was spaghetti right there near the turkey and stuffing and such.
That’s hysterical, brought a smile to my face. I’m Italian, and everything you said is what I heard so many times with my parents. Even my dad making it a point saying he’s from Naples and my mother’s Sicilian.

Mom’s meals were mostly fish. Salmon, talepia, fluke, shrimp, etc.
Dad loved to make the pasta and sauce. He was known for his gigantic sized meatballs. I’m talking 3x the size of an ordinary meatball. Lol, damn those were good. And forget about it when it comes to dieting in a carb loving Italian household. It’s impossible not to put on weight after a Sunday afternoon dinner.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic