Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Shingles

MorganKane

MorganKane

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2012
I have had it twice . Once at about 40 and again just a few months ago. The last one was on my back to the side and on the stomach. Damn painful, I started taking Valtrex immediately and it went away pretty quickly, But the 1st 3-4 days was damn painful. Not so sure I want the vaccine.

What about the vaccine worries you?
I have not looked into the vaccine so I know nothing about it.
but Im older than 50, my pharmacist suggested I take it but never really thought about it.

After this thread I will learn more about it.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
What about the vaccine worries you?
I have not looked into the vaccine so I know nothing about it.
but Im older than 50, my pharmacist suggested I take it but never really thought about it.

After this thread I will learn more about it.

Shingrix is relatively new. The old vaccine was only about 52% effecitive and seem to be the subject of lots of class action law suites from side effects. Is the new one any better? Here is a FDA safety warning already:

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
I don't understand vaccines much, but when I donated blood they asked if I had any vaccines, when I said yes for shingles, they asked which one, and when I said Shingrix they said oh that ones fine, and I donated.

I'm thinking they are different styles.

MorganKane

MorganKane

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2012
I don't understand vaccines much, but when I donated blood they asked if I had any vaccines, when I said yes for shingles, they asked which one, and when I said Shingrix they said oh that ones fine, and I donated.

Thanks.
Didnt even know it was more than one vaccine.
My doctor also recommended I take the vaccine so I probably will do so soon.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012

Shingrix contains an 'adjuvant', boosting vaccine effectiveness, meaning it creates a stronger immune response while Zostavax does not. Zostavax contains a live vaccine. Meaning it has the shingles virus ( herpes zoster) in it. This is why there are so many law suits againt Zostavax. Seems the vaccine was made with too much of the virus and is and it mutatesd into a differeient variant which turned out to be much worse and much harder to treat. So natually when you give blood they would be concerend it you had used the Zostavax vaccine. We are just learning about the Shingrix vaccine. Funny how these vaccines go throuugh clinical trials but those that take them seem to be the phase III test subjects.

B

Bilter

VIP Member
Jun 7, 2011
Shingrix contains an 'adjuvant', boosting vaccine effectiveness, meaning it creates a stronger immune response while Zostavax does not. Zostavax contains a live vaccine. Meaning it has the shingles virus ( herpes zoster) in it. This is why there are so many law suits againt Zostavax. Seems the vaccine was made with too much of the virus and is and it mutatesd into a differeient variant which turned out to be much worse and much harder to treat. So natually when you give blood they would be concerend it you had used the Zostavax vaccine. We are just learning about the Shingrix vaccine. Funny how these vaccines go throuugh clinical trials but those that take them seem to be the phase III test subjects.

vaccines and their effects are never fully understood until they are administered to a large portion of the population. In clinical trials, no matter how many participants they use there are never close to being representative of the entire population.

That said, I had my second shingles shot a cple of months ago. Most painful shot I've ever had.. Not sure I would do it again to be honest.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Shingrix contains an 'adjuvant', boosting vaccine effectiveness, meaning it creates a stronger immune response while Zostavax does not. Zostavax contains a live vaccine. Meaning it has the shingles virus ( herpes zoster) in it. This is why there are so many law suits againt Zostavax.

Thanks for that info brother! I just called the pharmacy to see which one they gave me and it was the Shingrix.

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
That said, I had my second shingles shot a cple of months ago. Most painful shot I've ever had.. Not sure I would do it again to be honest.
Same. Not as debilitating as the PIP from a bad quad IM injection, but I have never been sore a few days later like I did from that, like someone had slugged me in the arm really hard.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
On the PIP note, the second one was sore for 3 days. When she pinned me, it was low in the delt and the muscle cramped up right away. That was the most sore I ever got short of some concentrated gear I put in my quad.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Shingles is one of the few things i fear getting and having to suffer from. I'm undecided at this point on whether i'd get the vaccine for it. I'm high risk for shingles....so, i'll have to make a decision once i'm of age to take it in a few years. Hopefully there are improvements in the area before I reach that point. I always have a stash of Valtrex around to help if I get it....or the stupid cold sores I get in my throat and nose:(

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
This is a good reminder for me, i need to get the shingles vax. Been meaning to for about a year.

Thanks for the info.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic