Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

So....when did macros stop being important?

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
No Gandalf, it makes scientific sense, you just keep saying it doesn't.

Not at all. People keep saying the tired old "a calorie is a calorie" bullshit and I keep calling it bullshit...lol

"you can get just as ripped eating donuts and fried chicken because its about calories" No motherfuckers its about macros AND calories. Macros matter. That's all i've been saying from the start. Do you see the pics posted above in #194? The claim is this guy gets into this condition eating Krispy Cream and popeyes chicken. Because "a calorie is a calorie" But when I say I lose weight eating more calories by manipulating my macros all of a sudden I get jumped from all sides. WTF is that?!?

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
Not at all. People keep saying the tired old "a calorie is a calorie" bullshit and I keep calling it bullshit...lol
A calorie is 4.1868 joules. No more. No less.
Calories are not macros (macronutrients). Macros are not calories. (Macros contain varying amounts of calories).
As I've said before, the saying is dumb, and should be more like "all carbs are not created equally".

"you can get just as ripped eating donuts and fried chicken because its about calories"
You can, but its less than optimal. Other than to show it can be done, I don't see why anyone would go through the pain. Cutting is already grueling on nutrient dense food, I can't imagine the torture of cutting on junk food. From a bodybuilder point of view, anyway. If you're going to burn 12,000 Calories a day swimming (Michael Phelps) it makes more sense to eat lots of junky carbs.

But when I say I lose weight eating more calories by manipulating my macros all of a sudden I get jumped from all sides.
If you're eating more calories and losing weight then you are burning more calories. You can burn more calories just by what you eat (thermogenic effects, metabolic effects, etc). Its not magic, its science. Protein is thermogenic.

Dietary Thermogenesis.jpg

It doesn't mean if you eat more meat you'll lose more weight, but there's less energy available for your body to burn than from meat than other things. So what exercise you do nets you more of an opportunity to be in a caloric deficit.

Last edited:
CJ Smalls

CJ Smalls

Aug 15, 2020
A calorie is a calorie. It's a unit of measurement. That's like saying a degree isn't a degree or an inch isn't an inch.

But yes, different FOODS do different things in your body, but it's not because of the calories. It's the nutrients, the fiber, the vitamins, and even just the volume of food.

100 Cals of Brocolli will be different than 100 Cals from a donut, but you are still getting a100 Cals of energy from both.

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
A calorie is a calorie. It's a unit of measurement. That's like saying a degree isn't a degree or an inch isn't an inch.

But yes, different FOODS do different things in your body, but it's not because of the calories. It's the nutrients, the fiber, the vitamins, and even just the volume of food.

100 Cals of Brocolli will be different than 100 Cals from a donut, but you are still getting a100 Cals of energy from both.
Oh my God, where have you been. I swear I've said this 10x in this thread in different ways. Your version is way easier to understand!

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
A calorie is 4.1868 joules. No more. No less.
Calories are not macros (macronutrients). Macros are not calories. (Macros contain varying amounts of calories).
As I've said before, the saying is dumb, and should be more like "all carbs are not created equally".

You can, but its less than optimal. Other than to show it can be done, I don't see why anyone would go through the pain. Cutting is already grueling on nutrient dense food, I can't imagine the torture of cutting on junk food. From a bodybuilder point of view, anyway. If you're going to burn 12,000 Calories a day swimming (Michael Phelps) it makes more sense to eat lots of junky carbs.

If you're eating more calories and losing weight then you are burning more calories. You can burn more calories just by what you eat (thermogenic effects, metabolic effects, etc). Its not magic, its science. Protein is thermogenic.

View attachment 11386
It doesn't mean if you eat more meat you'll lose more weight, but there's less energy available for your body to burn than from meat than other things. So what exercise you do nets you more of an opportunity to be in a caloric deficit.

How many joules of energy do we absorb from the Sun? “Opsin proteins.”
Can we get fat from the sun?

We’re talking about macros and countless nutrients themselves with regard to their impact on body weight / scale weight, and composition. There’s a lot more complexity to the equation than joules of energy in a calorie.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010

You don't say...lol

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016

Well put!...

In what way/how is/are an broccoli cal(s) different from an donut cal(s)?....Besides knowing that one is/are complex as opposed to simple, what else or rather what are the differences in there mechanism of action on our metabolic system?....

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
In what way/how is/are an broccoli cal(s) different from an donut cal(s)?....Besides knowing that one is/are complex as opposed to simple, what else or rather what are the differences in there mechanism of action on our metabolic system?....
Simple calories and complex calories? SMH. Please don't tell me you're trolling.
Do you mean simple carbs (carbohydrates) and complex carbs? A carbohydrate is a macronutrient, a calorie is a unit of energy. And all carbohydrates are different from each other. Every calorie is the same as the next, like CJ Smalls said they are like degrees on a thermometer, a unit of measure.

Last edited:
BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
Simple calories and complex calories? SMH. Please don't tell me you're trolling.
Do you mean simple carbs (carbohydrates) and complex carbs? A carbohydrate is a macronutrient, a calorie is a unit of energy. And all carbohydrates are different from each other. Every calorie is the same as the next, like CJ Smalls said they are like degrees on a thermometer, a unit of measure.

*sigh*.....Yes, I meant carb in that instance....Thank you for the correction!....:)

CJ Smalls

CJ Smalls

Aug 15, 2020
Well put!...

Not 100% sure what you're asking, so I'll answer a few different ways.

Complex carbs do take a big longer to absorb due to the need for the longer carbon chain to be broken. Fructose goes to the liver for conversion first while glucose is readily available. Glucose and fructose have different GLUT transporters, so a mix can be absorbed at a higher rate than simply one or the other alone.

Bro Bundy

Bro Bundy

MuscleHead
Nov 1, 2012
All that macro bs is for newbs ... after decades of lifting u ahould know what u need to grow

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
All that macro bs is for newbs ... after decades of lifting u ahould know what u need to grow

U mean u're not the one I ALWAYS see walking around the gym with his pen/pencil and pad writing numbers down, IN BETWEEN EVERY SINGLE SET, that he somehow manages to accomplish, all the while looking at his CELL PHONE that is attached around his neck?....o_O

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic