Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Anyone Watching the Derek Chauvin Trial?

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
Not to completely change the subject, but anyone's thoughts on Lebron James' Instagram post about the Columbus officer/shooting? I am glad he is receiving quite a bit of backlash. Completely irresponsible and no better than Waters basically encouraging riots. I know superstars and people in the public eye have the right to their First Amendment rights, but they also should have a responsibility to be just as accountable as they play roles as influencers when the open their mouth.

In this case, Lebron shows he is just as racist against a white officer who saved a black girls life by shooting another black female who was attempting to stab her. You just cant win!

Meanwhile Brett Favre is getting crucified by the media because he said when he's watching a game - he just wants to watch a game without thinking or hearing about politics. I think a whole lot of people agree with that - myself included.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Meanwhile Brett Favre is getting crucified by the media because he said when he's watching a game - he just wants to watch a game without thinking or hearing about politics. I think a whole lot of people agree with that - myself included.

That and the kneeling.

A few baseball players have recently spoke out as well too. It's ruined sports.......for Christ-sakes....even NASCAR!!!

Rodeo PBR still respects the flag and keeps the BS out though....heh heh heh!

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
He is a pot-stirring moron. America made him a millionaire, not any other country, America. That said, he's a total bigot and accepts money and endorsements from China, who really is a dictatorship....but he's crickets on that.
How about that Dwyane Wade endorsing his signature clothing products that are made with cotton grown by slaves. You can't make shit this pathetic up.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011

I love it because Farve really has zero fucks about it. He even said in his webisode that he is agreeable for the most part with the Chauvin outcome but only questioned it because he didn't believe Chauvin had intentional malice towards Floyd. But what he says about politics in sports is legit. We don't pay them millions of dollars to do anything but perform. It's a business. Is it any different if someone contracts you for work? They don't care what your political views are. No. They want you to perform the task they are paying you for. We can't put a muzzle on them because of their First Amendment rights, but he is a representative of an organization. If I try spewing personal rhetoric or views at my workplace, I would be fired. Racisms runs both ways.

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
I love it because Farve really has zero fucks about it. He even said in his webisode that he is agreeable for the most part with the Chauvin outcome but only questioned it because he didn't believe Chauvin had intentional malice towards Floyd. But what he says about politics in sports is legit. We don't pay them millions of dollars to do anything but perform. It's a business. Is it any different if someone contracts you for work? They don't care what your political views are. No. They want you to perform the task they are paying you for. We can't put a muzzle on them because of their First Amendment rights, but he is a representative of an organization. If I try spewing personal rhetoric or views at my workplace, I would be fired. Racisms runs both ways.

I honestly have no problem with individual players saying or doing whatever they want on their individual social media's or whatever - that's their first amendment right. They have a platform because they are star entertainers, and can use it if they want. Nobody has to agree with what they are saying. If I had facebook and posted something, it would get 50 views. Lebron James posts something and it gets 50 million in a day. He has a platform.

Just keep it off the field. Don't be kneeling on the field during a game. Don't be talking about BLM in post game interviews. It's when the league's themselves get involved (BLM stenciled behind pitchers mounds in the MLB, all the shit the NFL was doing last year) - it pisses me off. They're sports leagues - not political entities. I watch sports to get away from all of life's bullshit for a few hours.

kid666

kid666

VIP Member
Jan 28, 2011
This is what id like to see on LeBron's forehead... 1619124311770.png

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
I honestly have no problem with individual players saying or doing whatever they want on their individual social media's or whatever - that's their first amendment right. They have a platform because they are star entertainers, and can use it if they want. Nobody has to agree with what they are saying. If I had facebook and posted something, it would get 50 views. Lebron James posts something and it gets 50 million in a day. He has a platform.

Just keep it off the field. Don't be kneeling on the field during a game. Don't be talking about BLM in post game interviews. It's when the league's themselves get involved (BLM stenciled behind pitchers mounds in the MLB, all the shit the NFL was doing last year) - it pisses me off. They're sports leagues - not political entities. I watch sports to get away from all of life's bullshit for a few hours.

And I agree completely with you we all have our right to free speech, but as you mention the "platform" they have compared to us little people. The world knows about George Floyd. They know about BLM, and etc. Many have commented on reform and accountability. What I have a problem with is his rhetoric. It was inflammatory. He can gas light a topic and he knows due to his status he is an influencer. My issue is he has zero personal accountability himself. Is it any different than what Trump did? Lebron basically put a hit out on this officer.

Maxine Waters is another whose comments potentially were threatening and could have potentially incited looting and violence. There is already a push to have her sanctioned. Even the judge overseeing the Chauvin trial stated she was reckless and could have affected the outcome.

I guess where I am at with all this, is we all have jobs. Not all of us are in the lime light or have an audience Lebron has. He has clout. What he did was reckless. Many companies have conduct policies about social media and personal conduct even off the clock. My organization does. If I posted something like what Lebron did, and it was reported, I would be sitting in front of an HR rep with likely disciplinary action or even termination.

I'm with Farve and your sentiments regarding politics or social issues into sports. We watch sports for the enjoyment of the game that is being played. Not for some other message or personal views. Do I care if Mike Trout voted Democrat or Republican? No. Nor do I care what his views are current hot button topics. We all have our right to our own beliefs. But they should be kept personal and not something to take away from the individual or the team. Sports should be a distraction for all of us from the BS. Those who play shouldn't be a distraction from the team or sport.

I know the "shut up and dribble" is a bit harsh and can be construed as negative. But if any of us went to our job and were creating undue attention that could potentially affect the opinion or impression of the organization we work for, I'm sure we wouldn't have a job. But again, we don't have the platform these stars do. I'm not happy with the NFL, NBA, or MLB with their caving to social pressure. And honestly it's all about money. Not truly about their concern about these issues.

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
Maxine Waters is another whose comments potentially were threatening and could have potentially incited looting and violence. There is already a push to have her sanctioned.
The House of Representatives took a vote, and the measure failed. Votes were along party lines. Maxine gets away with it again.

I'm with Farve and your sentiments regarding politics or social issues into sports. We watch sports for the enjoyment of the game that is being played.
This is what I say. Sports is an escape from all the bs in the world and when they become political its no longer an escape.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
What LeBron did was reprehensible. I guarantee that the trouble he is stirring up in Columbus won't occur anywhere near his gated, guarded mansion in his predominately white neighborhood in SoCal. He may very well have made himself a target of litigation by the cop. What would you do on a civil jury when this cop who saved a young girl's life is accusing LeBron James of defamation, and making credible threats of violence against him? How much money would you award that cop?

The pro sports leagues are killing their brand with injecting politics into it. I'm with Favre. I just want to watch my team (the Browns) break my heart every Sunday afternoon, not get preached at about whatever the latest political fad is. I've got so many other worthwhile things to do with my time on a Sunday afternoon, and I'm choosing to do so. Surprising that this is so hard for sports owners to understand.

Think of you running a business, such as a HVAC biz, and you've got employees that are BLM activits, or white supremacists. Quite frankly, I don't care what those employees are doing on their own time, but when they are at work, their racist tatoos, pins, bumper stickers, whatever, are covered up, and they do their job. If I'm in the business of HVAC, I want the entire purchasing public to be my potential business, and I'm not going to do anything, or allow my employees to do anything that will alienate 50% of my potential customer base. This just seems like common sense to me. Have I lost my marbles?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic