Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

First Post Contribution - BP Meds, Combine them

BobbySweeney

BobbySweeney

Feb 21, 2020
This is my first real thread and will likely be the best contribution I ever make to any forum I join.

If you are on AAS or TRT, you need to be on VERY LOW DOSE BP Meds.

I say very low dose because think of this stack as preventive maintenance that you take even if you don’t have high BP.
If you have BP problems or hypertension, you obviously can be on moderate/normal dosages.

Specifically, you need to combine these three Meds:
telmisartan (20 mg)
amlodipine (2.5 mg)
chlorthalidone (12.5 mg)

That is the dose I take and what 75% of you should be on.

I realize a very small percentage of you have perfect cardiovascular health (runners) and another percentage of you have high BP, so those exact dosages may not apply to you. But they probably do.
Your organs will thank you and you will live longer.

https://www.acc.org/about-acc/press...ll-lowers-blood-pressure-more-than-usual-care

BobbySweeney

BobbySweeney

Feb 21, 2020
I realize some of you may not understand why blood pressure is so important for longevity/heart health; it is the number one killer of those on TRT. This is how you combat that. You don’t need to wait until you have high BP to do maintenance/preventive care.

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
I use amlodipine, 2.5mg. Kept me in safe range.

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
Welcome to the Den and thanks for posting. I have hypertension and and take Diazide as prescribed for it. I also have health issues that are directly associated to my BP meds. Since requiring BP meds at 40ish, I have had increased frequency of Kidney stones and regularly show occult RBCs in a urinalysis. This was the trade off for sticking with a diuretic over and ACE Inhibitor. I had to quit my ACE after an uneventful 5mos when I woke up at 2am barely able to breath from angioedema caused by the ACE-I I was taking daily. My tongue wouldn’t fit in my mouth and my esophagus was almost closed by the time I hit the ER. I was lucky to get Decadron and racemic Epi quick or I was going to be intubated for safety.

Many BP meds can exacerbate existing kidney and liver issues. Reducing stimulants and keeping hydrated is plenty of help for non-hypertensives looking to keep AAS induced HTN away IMO.

I’d hesitate to recommend mixing types of BP meds without an actual reason to do so (HTN that didn’t respond to typical dose of single line therapies for example)

Diuretics can worsen the hemoconcentration that AAS already causes. ACEs and ARBs both increase kidney stress and worsen kidney stones. None of them are what I’d consider healthy staples to take without thinking.

BobbySweeney

BobbySweeney

Feb 21, 2020
Personally I think the key is “super low dosages”. But your point of not arbitrarily recommending BP Meds (which is kind of exactly what I’m doing) is valid and people should do a little more research before just dropping meds in their mouth.

Diuretics I’m not a fan of period. I think diet should handle that unless you’re already in bad health.

The benefits of BP meds go past more than just two numbers being in range; though I’ll admit that is the best gauge of what’s going on.

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
Diuretics I’m not a fan of period. I think diet should handle that unless you’re already in bad health.

Chlorthalidone (which you just advocated using) is a diuretic. This is another of the reasons I would suggest folks not self medicate against the “chance”of HTN.

I’m a veteran ICU/ER and now PACU RN, not saying that’s a doctor...just saying one study on actual hypertension patients is NOT enough to suggest folks take a 3 med cocktail for HTN they don’t have :)

BobbySweeney

BobbySweeney

Feb 21, 2020
Chlorthalidone (which you just advocated using) is a diuretic. This is another of the reasons I would suggest folks not self medicate against the “chance”of HTN.

I’m a veteran ICU/ER and now PACU RN, not saying that’s a doctor...just saying one study on actual hypertension patients is NOT enough to suggest folks take a 3 med cocktail for HTN they don’t have :)

I know it’s a diuretic but look at the dosage.

That’s about as low as it gets.
That’s like hydrochlorithizide at 5mg lol.

I should have led with “my wife is a doctor, I’ve been looking into how to extend my life on AAS for ten years”.

But yes, point taken, people should study and then make a decision as to what to do about ventricular hypertrophy.

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
Now if you post some articles showing low dose of a particular med (BP or Cardiac) decreasing LVH we’d have a good discussion going.

BobbySweeney

BobbySweeney

Feb 21, 2020
Now if you post some articles showing low dose of a particular med (BP or Cardiac) decreasing LVH we’d have a good discussion going.

Good point.
Let’s see what I can find.

S

sully169

Oct 12, 2010

Mike as a fellow RN good advice

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Mike as a fellow RN good advice

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sully, I wasn't here in 2010 when you joined or I woulda "Welcomed" you then. Hope you post more ... any board like this needs more RNs, MDs, and spouses of same to supplement our bro-medical discussions ... Mike can't do it all, stick around?

(I am not on commission lol)

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
I take 10mg lisinopril daily because my doctor tells me too. Keeps me in range.

I might be a weird juicer. I'd take whatever AAS on my own, and do my thing and experiment. But I'd never mess with things like BP meds or Statins without going through my doctor. I know Doctors get bashed as "stupid" a lot on the boards, but at the end of the day....a good doctor is worth his or her weight in gold.

Reactions: 5.0
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic