What's New?

Fats in your diet

• Thread starter The other Snake
  • Start Date
The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
When I need to cut a few pounds, fats have always been my first go-to macro to reduce. Protein is off limits and I so love my carbs.

What is the lowest you have ever cut your fats, for how long and did you have any issues?

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
When I need to cut a few pounds, fats have always been my first go-to macro to reduce. Protein is off limits and I so love my carbs.

What is the lowest you have ever cut your fats, for how long and did you have any issues?

I would not go any lower than 20% of your diet. Fats are just too important for us who lift weights. Have you considered increasing your cardio/HIIT? You could do HIIT say Mon, Wed, Fri and cardio on the off days.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
I would not go any lower than 20% of your diet. Fats are just too important for us who lift weights. Have you considered increasing your cardio/HIIT? You could do HIIT say Mon, Wed, Fri and cardio on the off days.
Yeah brother, the big push is on. I'm coming at it from both calorie reduction and cardio. Cardio is about 20-30 min 5x/wk depending on the workout. Most of my cardio is stationary bike and walking. I can not over tax my legs and back for the sake of losing a few lbs.

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
I feel better when my carbs are low, so I would rather lower my carbs than fats.. Sure my fat right now is around 50g for the day, and that only what come in the meat I’m eating... Carbs are down to incidentals, around 5grams a day.. But that just me....

Mega

Mega

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2012
Wow , you guys are tight with carbs n fats . I tend to look at it more as a percentage thing than grams . But we’re strength and bodybuilding Men! We need all 3 macros don’t cut yourselves short .
me personally when I start to tighten up , I’ll have my carbs before during and after training . Fats the rest of the day . Of course all meals with protein . Then as things tighten up , start pulling few grams carbs a meal , maybe add few grams protein? Gotta see how you look n feel.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
Yeah brother, the big push is on. I'm coming at it from both calorie reduction and cardio. Cardio is about 20-30 min 5x/wk depending on the workout. Most of my cardio is stationary bike and walking. I can not over tax my legs and back for the sake of losing a few lbs.

I know we are all different, but I absolutely HATE cardio. But I have started doing HIIT and lost 30lbs since November. I do it on a stationary bike. I do not do it on leg day, only upper body. Make sure to get your heart rate up 80% + of your MHR. Been hanging with this for 4 months now. Because it is not aerobic activity, it does not break down muscle for energy. Sometimes you can limit the carbs by just taking in what you need based on when you train (before and immediately after). FIll in the rest with protein and monounsaturated fats and even MCT.

Warm Up
2 minutes at about 8rpm
jog speed for 15 seconds @ 11rpm
2 minutes at about 8rpm
1/2 sprint speed for 15 seconds @ about 12 rpm
2 minutes at about 8rpm
3/4 speed for 15 seconds with a #6 tension @ 15RMP
2 minutes at about 8rpm
Work sets
full sprint for 15 seconds with 19 tension at about 29rpm as hard and fast as you can push yourself.
2 minutes at about 8rpm
full sprint for 15 seconds with 19 tension at about 29rpm
2 minutes at about 8rpm
Cool Down
2 minutes at about 7rpm Get HR down below 100bpm

Total time: 16 minutes 30 seconds

Last edited:
Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Like OMS, I'd rather cut carbs than stop slathering my body down with EVOO.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
I feel better when my carbs are low, so I would rather lower my carbs than fats.. Sure my fat right now is around 50g for the day, and that only what come in the meat I’m eating... Carbs are down to incidentals, around 5grams a day.. But that just me....

5 grams? That has to be a typo.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Warm Up
2 minutes at about 8rpm
jog speed for 15 seconds @ 11rpm
2 minutes at about 8rpm
1/2 sprint speed for 15 seconds @ about 12 rpm
2 minutes at about 8rpm
3/4 speed for 15 seconds with a #6 tension @ 15RMP
2 minutes at about 8rpm
Work sets
full sprint for 15 seconds with 19 tension at about 29rpm as hard and fast as you can push yourself.
2 minutes at about 8rpm
2 minutes at about 8rpm
Cool Down
2 minutes at about 7rpm Get HR down below 100bpm

Total time: 16 minutes 30 seconds

That's not my kind of a workout but you're definitely my kind of guy. I write down and quantify everything also. Guys like you leave nothing to chance and in that, find success. Well done brother!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic