Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Any of you guys into investing/ trading?

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Has anyone considered purchasing cruise line stocks like Carnival (CCL), Royal Caribbean (RCL) or Norwegian (NCLH)? I wouldn't normally do so, but COVID really beat them down, and my thought is that COVID concerns are going way down after the election no matter who wins. As this recession is not structural in nature, but rather is self-inflicted, my thought is that the rebound will be a steep "V". I know this should be the case for a lot of consumer demand, but I'm not sure what the psychology might be for getting onto a floating petri dish, LOL.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
Has anyone considered purchasing cruise line stocks like Carnival (CCL), Royal Caribbean (RCL) or Norwegian (NCLH)? I wouldn't normally do so, but COVID really beat them down, and my thought is that COVID concerns are going way down after the election no matter who wins. As this recession is not structural in nature, but rather is self-inflicted, my thought is that the rebound will be a steep "V". I know this should be the case for a lot of consumer demand, but I'm not sure what the psychology might be for getting onto a floating petri dish, LOL.

I have but after my experience with hotels and airlines I won't do it. I have done good in tech stocks and the hell if they didn't take a dump last week. They are coming back now. Apple stock got split, 4:1 so you can get in at a lower price right now. Tesla I believe went 5:1 but is still a little bit on the pricey side. Visa, CHEWY, and EBAY have been a good investment for me as well as the Stringer Growth Fund.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Missed the boat (pun intended) on many of them from the lows @tommyguns2 but with the 10% drop in CCL today, 5% on RCL, may be grab a little. If they can keep afloat (this is too easy) there will be money to be made long term, but they may sink lower.

Rider

Rider

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 27, 2010
In the long term, Tommy you have a solid point, but those daily volatility swings are too much for me.

Currently big money is pouring into tech but when that rotation stops, and it will, I think there a lot of value out there that’ll benefit. For example, check out pharmacy stocks such as Walgreens and CVS. Those stocks were beaten down bad and haven’t bounced yet. Yes they’re boring, but I feel there’s a reliable upside. Plus they have solid quarterly dividends.

Swiper

Swiper

VIP Member
Jan 8, 2011
general question:
i’m curious as to when you sell knowing the market is in a huge bubble created by the fed? Or are you betting against the market?

has anyone bought gold and/or silver before it reached and surpassed its all time high?

Warhead14

Warhead14

TID Board Of Directors
Jul 23, 2011
general question:
i’m curious as to when you sell knowing the market is in a huge bubble created by the fed? Or are you betting against the market?

has anyone bought gold and/or silver before it reached and surpassed its all time high?
I day trade everyday. My daily goal has risen to 1k a day. I average 730 a day. I look for volatility and 90% of all myt rades are short positions. I learned from a guy name Luke Murray at fastmoneytraders.com. Its 300 bucks a quarter or so, you can learn a lot from him even though he is a dick. I made 207k last year, but dont forget, its taxed at capital gains rate. I never quit my day job though....I made most of my money this year on Boeing and believe it or not, CROCS... symbol is CROX. I shorted them late Feb. And when the hit bottom I covered and went long .....

Last edited:
FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
What broker do u use for day trading?

I day trade everyday. My daily goal has risen to 1k a day. I average 730 a day. I look for volotility and 90% of all mytrades are short positions. I learned from a guy name Luke Murray at fastmoneytraders.com. Its 300 a quarter or so and you can learn a lot from him even though is a dick. I made 207k last year, and dont forget its taxed at capital gains rate. I never quit my day job though....I made most of my money this year on Boeing and believe it or not CROCKS... symbol is CROX. I shorted them late Feb. And when the hot bottom I covered and went long .....

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Missed the boat (pun intended) on many of them from the lows @tommyguns2 but with the 10% drop in CCL today, 5% on RCL, may be grab a little. If they can keep afloat (this is too easy) there will be money to be made long term, but they may sink lower.

That's what made me take a long look at them. I'm a buy and hold guy, so I'm chewing on whether I'm willing to hold these for the next 10 years. At these prices, you'd think it's a good long hold, but I don't know how to evaluate their balance sheets like JR Ewing does. (where is that homo? BTW) I'm sure they're all carrying a truckload of debt on the books, and if a lot of that is convertible to equity, that can be dilutive. I'm probably overthinking things.... like always. LOL

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
I day trade everyday. . I made 207k last year, but dont forget, its taxed at capital gains rate.
Just curious, don't you have to hold the equity for at least 18 months to pay the capital gains rate? I thought only long term capital gains are taxed at 20%, the rest is taxed at your regular rate, which for me is way higher.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
general question:

For me, I don't sell. I never try to time the market, because it really can't be done. You can evaluate balance sheets, but market psychology is undecipherable, IMO.

Gold is a reasonable hedge, but I don't view it as an investment unless I have reason to believe that manufacturing demand for it is growing. It's not used in semiconductor manufacturing much any more. I know there are industrial uses for it, but I'm not familiar with that.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
@tommyguns2 they say to sell at between 8% - 10% profit, it adds up over time, especially if you can do this a few times a week.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic