Latest Member
Ethan7400
What's New?

Over Developed Traps...but this helps

BigSwolePump

BigSwolePump

VIP Member
May 24, 2017
Well....BigSwolePump.....my perspective is from a bodybuilding competing perspective, so when one muscle/muscle group is over sized or undersized for that matter, it all matters in the sport, as you know. So I was going from a symmetrical perspective.

(Need a cool signature)

Competing changes things. Symmetry plays a much bigger role. I think that you are on the right track with the mind/muscle connection aspect.

My traps will literally start burning from doing a standing barbell curls if I try to do anything close to heavy. I rarely, if ever even work them because they grow so easily. It sounds like you may have the same issue.

I have the best results taking them out of back movements when using machines with lighter weights. I am sure that you have already tried this and can see the difference in something like a cable row vs dumbell rows in terms of being able to control you trap usage and concentrating on your back. If not give it a try.

Tomas Payne

Tomas Payne

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2014
I'm with you I think over developed any thing is good.By the way is that you in your avatar if so holy shit!

One can ne’er have overdeveloped calves and forearms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Over developed traps, never heard of it. .... lol. Traps >abs

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
Over developed traps, never heard of it. .... lol. Traps >abs

The NURSE, kept slapping my chest and squeezing my bi's, but never touched my traps!...I guess I've gota work on em...

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Competing changes things. Symmetry plays a much bigger role. I think that you are on the right track with the mind/muscle connection aspect.

My traps will literally start burning from doing a standing barbell curls if I try to do anything close to heavy. I rarely, if ever even work them because they grow so easily. It sounds like you may have the same issue.

I have the best results taking them out of back movements when using machines with lighter weights. I am sure that you have already tried this and can see the difference in something like a cable row vs dumbell rows in terms of being able to control you trap usage and concentrating on your back. If not give it a try.

BigSwole, yea me too! When i go heavy with standing barbell curls the traps kick in. I do not work them at all. Other then them kicking in when i don't need them LOL. My trainer is constantly correcting me. And i've since in the last cpl years have also started to recognize when they kick in so i can course correct and use the intended muscles i'm trying to work lol.
Yes! I have tried the backmovements with lighter weights from time to time. With me having a shoulder surgery 2 yrs ago, during rehap they really reinforced engaging the back muscles, this actually has helped the days i work back. I can really feel my mid back and lats now and am totally hyper aware of them now. Plus my new trainer has taught me how to do the lat pulldowns in short movements and really feeling the lats. I will dig up a pic i had of before my competition where you can really see traps were outta control lol.

S

Shock

VIP Member
Nov 28, 2015
You don't mind the decrease of range-of-motion when you lie on your back while doing face-pulls? I use those in hopes of hitting my rhomboids, to pull my shoulders back, so the extra range of motion from standing seems needed?

BigSwolePump

BigSwolePump

VIP Member
May 24, 2017
You don't mind the decrease of range-of-motion when you lie on your back while doing face-pulls? I use those in hopes of hitting my rhomboids, to pull my shoulders back, so the extra range of motion from standing seems needed?

I was trying to picture laying on a bench and doing them too. Going to work some back today and am going to try it. I wouldn't think that it would limit range of motion. It would be at a different angle though so I am not sure it it will work for me. I'll know in a few hours lol

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic