Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Corona Virus. How much of a threat is it?

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
According to Real Clear Politics, that is reputable with respect to their statistics, the death rate in the US for those who've tested positive is not 3%, it about 1.5%.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/

The fatality rates in several other countries is quite a bit higher. In Italy, it's as high as 10%, and in Germany it's as low as 0.5%. I agree that many who have the virus haven't been tested because their symptoms are mild. So the actual fatality rate is likely 1/2 to 1/3 of the 1.5%.

Jin

Jin

MuscleHead
Jun 15, 2018
According to Real Clear Politics, that is reputable with respect to their statistics, the death rate in the US for those who've tested positive is not 3%, it about 1.5%.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/

The fatality rates in several other countries is quite a bit higher. In Italy, it's as high as 10%, and in Germany it's as low as 0.5%. I agree that many who have the virus haven't been tested because their symptoms are mild. So the actual fatality rate is likely 1/2 to 1/3 of the 1.5%.
Can you link the article?

Where are you coming up with your estimated fatality rate?

Thanks!

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
Stats on how many died from COVID-19? I want to know how many died from the virus itself.

The immune systems of most people with HIV gradually deteriorate, leaving them vulnerable to numerous viruses, fungi, bacteria and protozoa that are held in check in people with healthy immune systems.

As an example: people with AIDS die from viruses, fungi, bacteria and protozoa and when they die, they "die from AIDS".

When people with a plethora of health conditions and test positive for COVID-19, its the corona virus that killed them.

See the politicization of this?

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Today:

10. There is a new prone team. Its official. ICU pts infected are all placed in Prone positions.

Stay tuned for more.

God bless you for paying for a TV for those patients! Kudos to you!

@2ez what is this prone stuff? You mean sitting the patients up not laying down? I can only relate to prone positions in handling dumbbells lol.

I'm hearing mixed reports of re-infections, My local news has stated that when/if a person is reinfected, issues are less or not as impactful to the said infected person. But you are stating that reinfections are worse. That's the issues with this new virus...and i go to CDC.gov and no details on this there.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Still don’t know a single person that’s sick, but I know a couple dozen that are running out of money.

Both threats are real. I just think we’ve scared ourselves into making money and economy (lack of either) the biggest threat.

Our country is going to need a go-fund-me page pretty soon. I wonder who will donate....

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
I have a wait and see attitude. I am going to try to protect myself, friends and loved ones and to observe good hygene during the quarantine, until the disease is under control. We won't know how bad the illness will hit all of us until this is over, thus I am withholding my judgment until after. In the meantime, short of locking myself in my bedroom, I am doing what I can to prevent myself catching this.

Once the rate of infection slows, we will be able to start rationally talking about ending the social distancing. If we stop social distancing before that we are playing Russian Roulette. And we aren't even close to seeing the infection rate drop off. Scientists have proof that the virus normally increases at a rate of doubling every three days. This is doubling every three days would look like:

On March 17, there were around 1,000 cases in the US.
By March 20 that would have been 2,000.
By March 23 6,000.
By March 26, 12,000

But the US is experiencing more than a doubling every three days: Instead, we went from around 1,000 cases on March 17 to over 80,000 cases nine days later. That would mean we are seeing a doubling nearly every day. Because we know this virus has traditionally doubled every three days likely we are seeing the increased numbers because we are only now starting widespread testing. That means it is possible there are a lot more people infected than the current numbers show.

If we assume the 80,000 is a good number, here is what the doubling every three days going forward will look like:
March 27, 80,000
March 30, 160,000
April 2, 320,000
April 5, 640,000
April 8, 1.28 million
April 16, 2.56 million

If the social distancing slows the spread, we will know fairly soon because the numbers will not double every three days, and once the rate of new infections starts to be slower than the day before, we will be going in the right direction. Before that happens any talk of ending social distancing and getting back to business as normal will waste any gains we have made to slow the spread.

The better we all are about social distancing and not exposing ourselves and loved ones to the virus, the more quickly the disease spread will slow and the more quickly we can all get back to our normal lives.

Because we won't know how bad this is going to get until it is over, anything except extreme social distancing and aggressive measures to stop its spread will be to surrender our country to the virus without a realistic idea of how bad that could turn out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jin
tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Can you link the article?

Where are you coming up with your estimated fatality rate?

Thanks!

If you click on the link, there are a list of articles (the number varies), and then below the articles is a chart that is updated at least daily. It lists raw numbers, the number of deaths the past day, and then the estimated fatality rate. But it's based on the actual number of people tested positive and those who've passed with that listed as the cause of death.

As mentioned above, as we don't know who's positive with the virus unless they're sick enough to go and get tested, I'm assuming the actual number of infected people is much higher in all countries.

Reactions: Jin
tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
But the US is experiencing more than a doubling every three days: Instead, we went from around 1,000 cases on March 17 to over 80,000 cases nine days later.

The difficulty with these numbers is that the actual amount of testing isn't static. Earlier there were fewer test kits, and now the amount of testing is much higher, so we're going to see more being tested positive. It's hard to normalize the numbers for the increased testing. But you're correct with respect to the raw data.

If we stopped testing tomorrow, we'd see the rate of those testing positive go to zero, but we wouldn't call that a success.

C

Cabo Jo

Thick n Wide VIP
Jun 26, 2011
i'm a high end cabinet installer in northern CA. We were told to shelter in place.But my boss refuses to shut down. He keeps working us with no protection and reduced hours. He dosent want to pay unemployment,and he's a multi millionaire . i usually take home 1200.00 a week. my last paycheck for 2 weeks was 700.00 what a fucking asshole. i'd make 80% of my pay on unemployment. i feel like turning him into the county for not shutting down.

C

ceo

VIP Member
Oct 12, 2010
i'm a high end cabinet installer in northern CA. We were told to shelter in place.But my boss refuses to shut down. He keeps working us with no protection and reduced hours. He dosent want to pay unemployment,and he's a multi millionaire . i usually take home 1200.00 a week. my last paycheck for 2 weeks was 700.00 what a fucking asshole. i'd make 80% of my pay on unemployment. i feel like turning him into the county for not shutting down.
He may be a multi-millionaire but that business he owns may require carrying a heavy debt load to operate. And if he stops business how will he pay his lease, utilities, and all other bills? In just a few weeks his business could shutter and he could lose everything.

Employees aren't the only ones who will be affected. Small businesses and their owners actually stand to lose a lot more in most cases.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic