Kiddorism
What's New?

RC Repair Recovery Update (3)

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
RC repair surgery was 8/31/2018. I'm now 1 yr + 4 months post surgery. Nearly all my lifts have reached the same weight what I was pushing pre-surgery. Note: I took my sweet ass time getting back to strength. I did not rush.

Back in Nov, thought I may have re-injured, but got the all clear from the doc that I infact did not. And sure enough, no evidence of it being re-injured. Was super glad about that.

So with that, i've officially started a prep for the next contest in April. Will start a separate log for that.

Recently, been working with a trainer and as we work together, i have been able to make great progress. The key to our success however is to know when to say when and that has been a bit challenging for me as I continue to feel what my body is telling me.
For instance....we were doing some standing overhead presses with the barbell. One week i was fine doing them (just the bar only), this past week was doing them, but I stopped because something felt off. This feeling of a feeling off was a different feeling of pushing a muscle to exhaustion if you will. Like for instance, when you increase weight a little bit and after your reps you feel like you really used that muscle(s).
So i have been trying to read my body to know what may be potentially injurable vs really using the muscle and pushing myself.
My trainer is fabulous in that she is constantly asking me if i am ok, if my shoulder is ok, etc. But I speak up or I just stop if something doesn't feel right.

We really pushed it last night on the pec deck flye machine, did 127# for a good rep set. I really felt it then...meaning that i pushed my muscles and it felt good. Not that it felt hurt like in injury.

This has been the most challenging part by far in this recovery process. No, wait, that is no the most challenging part....the struggle of gaining strength in the beginning and flexibility was really a struggle.

I continue to work on flexibility.

Anytime I work on upper body, I ALWAYS DO A WARM UP ROUTINE AND STRETCHING ROUTINE. This lasts anywhere from 15-20mins. I do believe that this effort on my part to be diligent about this has been a contribution to success thus far.

Happy lifting y'all.

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
maybe you should consider using db instead of bb. as some know I had my upper bi tendon repaired 1yr 4mo ago and I am still way off the mark as far as bb bench / inc go. ive been alternating db and bb for a few months now and the only time I 'think' I may have reinjured is after bb work. the most ive got so far is 205 for 5 and it felt like a ton. ive got 185 for 10-12 so I guess I just need to do a heavier and heavier set every 2-3 wks to keep the momentum going without any new inj.

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
maybe you should consider using db instead of bb. as some know I had my upper bi tendon repaired 1yr 4mo ago and I am still way off the mark as far as bb bench / inc go. ive been alternating db and bb for a few months now and the only time I 'think' I may have reinjured is after bb work. the most ive got so far is 205 for 5 and it felt like a ton. ive got 185 for 10-12 so I guess I just need to do a heavier and heavier set every 2-3 wks to keep the momentum going without any new inj.

Hey thanks man for the feedback. Maybe I should just do db going forward. Thanks!

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
For instance....we were doing some standing overhead presses with the barbell. One week i was fine doing them (just the bar only), this past week was doing them, but I stopped because something felt off. This feeling of a feeling off was a different feeling of pushing a muscle to exhaustion if you will.
Happy lifting y'all.

Here's something my PT guy told me about the RC muscles. They primarily stabilize the shoulder during movements and are much small muscles then the other surrounding muscles; delt. pecs, lats, traps,bis and tris. Therefore, they tend to be the weak link and when you go to failure, the RC muscles get the brunt of the damage. He even went against most opinions about heavy weight, saying its not as damaging if you lay up as compared to high reps to failure. Just a thought.

Best wishes and looking forward to April.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic