Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Ethan7400
What's New?

Leverage Machines are getting Out of Control...

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
I remember when the Hammer Strength stuff came out late 80's early 90's it was kinda cool and allowed you to use a bit more weight due to the leverage.

One of my gyms has a whole set of "Hoist" equipment and it's just nuts. I see guys using 4 plate plus for bicep movements, 8 plates for shoulders. WTF?

First of all why do they want to design equipment that necessitates the use of so much free-weight due to leverage and why the fuck does anyone feel good about using 400 lbs for shoulder press when the weight only moves like 2 inches?

It's silly.

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
I disagree the Hoist machines are great for bodybuilding. I don’t care what poundage I move I’m here to build muscle.

Wallyd

Wallyd

VIP Member
Dec 10, 2013
I like them. I think they are helpful for the older crowd especially compared to free weights.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
I never used any machines until I retired from powerlifting. Now they are part of my training. I like Hammer Strength and like Mike, I don't care how much weight is on them as much as I do getting max time under tension.

The look pretty cool. Hammer Strength makes some selector plate loaded cable machine systems like this and I don't use them much. They just seem to react sluggish. I train everything very explosively. The straight plate leverage is much more responsive. But I have not seen or used these Hoist machines.

https://www.hoistfitness.com/collections/rpl-roc-it-plate-loaded

T

TODAY

VIP Member
Apr 16, 2012
As a general rule, I'm not a huge fan of any machine that intentionally reduces range of motion.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
I've always been a fan of the free weights, but as I've gotten older, I feel more comfortable pushing myself on the machines as opposed to free weights when I don't have a training partner.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
First of all why do they want to design equipment that necessitates the use of so much free-weight due to leverage and why the fuck does anyone feel good about using 400 lbs for shoulder press when the weight only moves like 2 inches?

It's silly.

Instagram?

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Heard around my house:

"Honey, I'm off to the gym, be back before suppertime."

"Ok ....... don't hurt yourself, again."

Some machines, and reps over 5, are how I avoid chasing Ronnie Coleman's surgery count in my dotage.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I don't mind machine but I don't use many. When I use a machine, I attach a band to it for accommodating resistance. Choke some monster mini's on that Hoist machine and see if they still throw 4 plates on it.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic