What's New?

Regaining Strength Post-RC Surgery Repair

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
RC Surgery was 8/31/18.

This is a log for back to strength and what I was pre-surgery.
I'm Female, 5'2.5", about 169# right now.
Keeping this log for upper body only to post up road to back to strength. For a couple of reasons: 1-in hopes to help someone else that may have had this surgery before, or have it in their future. 2-to promote feedback from others that have had this surgery before and been there done that, and maybe have tips for me base on what I post.
I'm one that does not know it all, nor will i ever state that. I love learning from others and this sport is all about that, at least this is my philosophy. So i encourage feedback. One of my mantra's is always a student. I swear I learn something new everyday that i can then take and apply to the gym as either something that works for me or something that does not work for me.

My goals: to regain strength and lose the post-surgery-depression-fat (see my story in the injury area).......Have been focusing on my legs, so i wanna see what i've built lol. In addition, i'm currently in off season so I'm here to build the best body to date and eventually, hopefully compete in another WPD show next year, 2020.

Thanks for stopping by and listening to my random rants....LOL

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
Have u resumed ping pong and bowling?

RC Surgery was 8/31/18.

This is a log for back to strength and what I was pre-surgery.
I'm Female, 5'2.5", about 169# right now.
Keeping this log for upper body only to post up road to back to strength. For a couple of reasons: 1-in hopes to help someone else that may have had this surgery before, or have it in their future. 2-to promote feedback from others that have had this surgery before and been there done that, and maybe have tips for me base on what I post.
I'm one that does not know it all, nor will i ever state that. I love learning from others and this sport is all about that, at least this is my philosophy. So i encourage feedback. One of my mantra's is always a student. I swear I learn something new everyday that i can then take and apply to the gym as either something that works for me or something that does not work for me.

My goals: to regain strength and lose the post-surgery-depression-fat (see my story in the injury area).......Have been focusing on my legs, so i wanna see what i've built lol. In addition, i'm currently in off season so I'm here to build the best body to date and eventually, hopefully compete in another WPD show next year, 2020.

Thanks for stopping by and listening to my random rants....LOL

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
5/5 Shoulder Workout:
(all upper body is unilateral training for the most part currently).

Warm up like a mother fcker! (about 15 mins).

Super set:
-Smith machine seated press
-Band assisted pull ups

Super set:
-Cable lateral raises (20lbs on cable machine on left arm/5lb db raises on right arm).
-Front arm raises (15lb left arm/5lb right arm).
-also threw in there for infected arm (right), a punch action using the red band where i extended out my arm fully in a front punching action, then gently let arm pull back a few inches and then punch out----all focusing on my RC and keeping my entire shoulder contracted and in control. I did these in rehab, and liked the focus it gave on the RC).

Super set:
-Single arm standing shoulder presses (20lbs left arm/5lb right arm).
-Rear delt flye machine

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Oh and i have been doing push ups on the bench......so far no pain. I sprinkled those in between some of the sets yesterday.

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
5/8 - Wed
Quick leg workout in the AM.

10mins on treadmill
Warmed the fxck outta my upper body (aka stretching/moving/bands).

Deadlifts:
135# - 15 reps
185# - 12 reps (felt good. notable item was that i was doing this weight pre-surgery as rackpulls)
Did 2 sets of the 185# weight.

Super set:
-Bench step ups - 10reps ea leg
-Sissy squats w/25# plate - 15reps

Weighted belt squats - 4 sets:
-135# - 20reps
-180# - 20 reps
-225# - 15 reps
-270# - 12 reps - felt really good and heavy.

Might do hexbar squats next time. I forgot about those.
I was going through my workout logs and I can't find my max on deadlifts. I thought it was 265# at one time.

Happy lifting y'all.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Which rc did you tear and how?

How did physical therapy go? Did the doc give you the all clear?

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Which rc did you tear and how?

How did physical therapy go? Did the doc give you the all clear?

Hey POB: Full thickness tear in the supraspinatus rotator cuff tendon. How did I tear it? I can't definitively say actually, but i suspect the catalyst was when i was on incline doing db bench press and lost balance on the db's and did not drop them. It seemed like after that, that it started to ache/hurt. But I do believe it was about 3 yrs of carrying a heavy ass laptop on the my right side with a bag. I kept telling myself to switch it up, but I did not.

Physical therapy went OK, but had to switch up companies about 8 weeks into it. Doc though i re-tore it, then I got frozen shoulder, so had to recover from that, etc. I got to a new PT and he was great. Really worked with me for my goals and listened and did different stuff.
Yea, doc has cleared me now for about 5 weeks or so. Maybe longer LOL.
So now i'm working on strengthening that side back up to what it was and rebuilding the muscle there, as atrophy did set it, of course.

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
This morning bi's and tri's, cut it short was running late for work.

Warm up like a mother fcker! (about 15 mins).

Did a giant set of standing db curls/both arms with the same weight: 5#, 8#, 10#, 12#, 15#. Ran through all these at 12-15 reps per arm. My affected arm was not strong enough for 15# tho, but tried to get them in. I noticed my form was not good, so stopped with the 15# on affected arm and dropped it down.

Bench push ups - 12reps x3

Superset:
-Single arm tricep push downs with high cable. 20# right arm/30# left arm.
-Kneeling db tricep kick backs. 12# right arm/15# left arm. But ended with 15# on both arms last set. Kept form, so consider this a win.

Ended with:
-Standing cable curls with the bent bar. 30#, 40#, 50#. Did use both arms for this move.

Snachito1

Snachito1

VIP Member
Jan 12, 2018
Bova did the surgery limit your range of motion or do you have full range of motion?

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Bova did the surgery limit your range of motion or do you have full range of motion?

Hey Snachito1, According to the #'s (ROM #'s, that is), my ROM is back to what it was. Although in everyday use, i feel it is limited, but then again i'm not stretching everyday like i really, really should be doing. Things such as (being a woman), using the hairdryer and reaching up with both hands and getting the back of the head. My arm does in fact reach all the way back, but arm seems really stiff at first during the day. That is why it warm the fxck up before any exercise. I don't want to injure it. Anything overhead and if the arm is cold, i feel stiffness and seems to not want to go far. But when it is warmed up, i'm good to go.

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
I had a tendon in my lft shoulder repaired at the same time you had your surgery. I was told I would be 100% in 3 mo but it has been 9 mo and im about 65-70% in pain relief and less than 50% as far as strength goes. I met with the doc about a mo ago to try and figure out what the prob is and he said the mri shows a lot of arthritis and debree in my shoulder and said I should consider getting a consult for shoulder replacement. im holding off on that as the recovery has been very slow but it is recovering. some of the things I have found that helps recovery and allows getting stronger is using mostly dumbells and keeping palms facing each other for all pushing and pulling movements. also, using the safety squat bar has been a life saver and keeps me motivated with how strong my legs are getting again with zero stress on my shoulders holding the bar.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic