Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Delt inj AM and pain/pinch while pressing PM

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
I pinned 2.5 ml IM delt AM, then went to the gym about 12 hours later. Activated rotator cuffs, and did some pre bench work, and a few warmups. Rep 3 on a first working set, nothing heavy and I feel a sharp pinch feeling. I racked it.. then threw on 135 x 1 slow rep to just assess. Painful again not as much. Skipped the rest of direct chest work, trainee triceps good and quick upper back (chest supported row) with no pain.

Anyone had this happen as a direct relation of inflammation or scar tissue? Never torn a RC or anything close, but have separated that shoulder (minor) long ago playing rugby. Curious what your thoughts are

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
Delts can be trickier when you're doing 2-3mls. You're probably just further away from the "belly" of the muscle and closer to the interplay of Medial & Anterior heads and/or too low and impeding the lengthening of the Triceps. If you could pull thru (Upper Back) and push down (Tris),I'd say the local swelling from the shot is too "high up" in the medial head (near the acromion and Deltoid bursa).

Are you using 1.5, 1 or 5/8" needles? Some guys (gals) have issues with Delt injections and pressing soon after due to "high" shots or "off center" shots. A shot not deep enough can cause the same irritation at the outer fascia of the muscle. When the whole joint moves, the "lumpy" medial gets compressed by the Front or Rear head and ouch!

It's prolly not scar tissue since this just happened and hasn't been progressive over time. I use my Rear Delt heads more than my Medial since mine are thicker there. Also less rear head involvement on pressing days. If I tried to Pull after the Rear Delt shots, I'd occasionally experience something similar to yours. When the Medial head would rub into the Rear...I felt like I was gonna drop the bar.

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
Delts can be trickier when you're doing 2-3mls. You're probably just further away from the "belly" of the muscle and closer to the interplay of Medial & Anterior heads and/or too low and impeding the lengthening of the Triceps. If you could pull thru (Upper Back) and push down (Tris),I'd say the local swelling from the shot is too "high up" in the medial head (near the acromion and Deltoid bursa).

Are you using 1.5, 1 or 5/8" needles? Some guys (gals) have issues with Delt injections and pressing soon after due to "high" shots or "off center" shots. A shot not deep enough can cause the same irritation at the outer fascia of the muscle. When the whole joint moves, the "lumpy" medial gets compressed by the Front or Rear head and ouch!

It's prolly not scar tissue since this just happened and hasn't been progressive over time. I use my Rear Delt heads more than my Medial since mine are thicker there. Also less rear head involvement on pressing days. If I tried to Pull after the Rear Delt shots, I'd occasionally experience something similar to yours. When the Medial head would rub into the Rear...I felt like I was gonna drop the bar.
I use. 1” 23ga and I pin my medial delts a ton for 2-2.5ml.. I think you’re right, I may have jabbed a little high today; now you’ve got me thinking. I can feel the inflammation and it seems to be close to the bursa... Also I’ve had in the past long ago where I likely pinned too quickly something like 3ml, and rather than disappate into muscle tissue some oil has possibly seeped into subq tissue (if this is even possible ?) causing more severe inflammation... Got some heat on it now. I will have to be more careful with shot placement or maybe switch to 1.25” to see if it can prevent this in the future

NDLessPSYcle

NDLessPSYcle

MuscleHead
Apr 1, 2011
I miss pinning delts. I need to get rid of some scar tissue there.
Jhot just head over to Hillcrest and get those shoulders worked out. o_O

Zomb131

Zomb131

MuscleHead
Jan 31, 2011
Inflammation. You're pumping in a good bit of oil into the delt. The body reacts with an inflammatory response to break down the oil/hormone and the inflammation is causing pressure on surrounding structures. The axillary nerve innervates the deltoid and off that branch are some cutaneous nerves that go on top of the muscle and under the skin. I'd avoid pinning that area around chest/shoulder day if you can, or maybe wait till after you work out. As the RN said pin deeper. A MD/DO once told me I should be using 1.5" on my delts. After pinning the area try massage, I have a hypervolt I use at home and in practice it's great for hammering out sore spots.

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
I thought 1 ml was kinda the general rule for delts. I can see increasing from there if you are getting yuge, but there's still a limit.

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
I miss pinning delts. I need to get rid of some scar tissue there.
Jhot just head over to Hillcrest and get those shoulders worked out. o_O
I don’t wanna run into FD walking around in his banana hammock though!

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
Inflammation. You're pumping in a good bit of oil into the delt. The body reacts with an inflammatory response to break down the oil/hormone and the inflammation is causing pressure on surrounding structures. The axillary nerve innervates the deltoid and off that branch are some cutaneous nerves that go on top of the muscle and under the skin. I'd avoid pinning that area around chest/shoulder day if you can, or maybe wait till after you work out. As the RN said pin deeper. A MD/DO once told me I should be using 1.5" on my delts. After pinning the area try massage, I have a hypervolt I use at home and in practice it's great for hammering out sore spots.

Zomb! true, great advice. I’ve been pinning like this so long without issues that the obvious things escape me. for a long time I would heat the barrel, pin, massasge and heat the area after pinning anything 1.5ml and greater.. but I got lazy, and but that’s kinda fallen by the wayside. Time to be a little bit more structured, to make sure my training doesn’t suffer from preventable things.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic