Members
Latest Member
Ethan7400
What's New?

So much pain on the walk home...

R

reeceindie

Nov 7, 2018
I've joined this forum, specifically to ask about the pain I'm suffering on the walk back from the gym, so here's hoping....

When at the gym, I'm fine, just the usual aches, esp on back day.
On the walk home however, it's a different story, just a few minutes from the gym, I'm struggling to walk, the pain is 'accross' the ankles on the top of the foot, and increases or 'spreads' towards the shins, making moving the foot and ankles almost impossible, which results in something between a limp and a shaky, 'clumping' movement, as the pain is like someone smashing a hammer into my ankles with each step, and the clumping, flat footed limp can sometimes result in back ache, I only live about 12-14 mins away from the gym but most days I have to stop halfway (or more) as it's unbearable, with my teeth grinding and feeling like I'm going to throw up (trust me , I've got a very high pain threshhold in the gym and day-to-day). When I get home I just put my feet up, use either ice or a cooling gel and pretty soon I'm fine.
It's just that walk home. It's always difficult to describe pain to another person but that's the best I can do. I'm convinced that anyone who sees me walking home must think I've got MS or some condition, as I feel I'll topple at any moment.
It's been on and off for about three or four years (I've been training for almost two decades), and I've seen doctors, A&E, phsyios and even spent time in hospital on anti-biotics (painkillers don't work btw) , and no one will tell me how to prevent this, making me feel like I'm the only guy in recorded history to have this.
Is there anyone here who's had direct experience of this (shin splints and compartmental syndrome don't seem to begin to describe whatever it is), and what can prevent it.
My theory is that I've gained so much weight that it's like carrying another person home , but if this is so, ho come my body isn't adapting and there are heavier people than me who aren't struggling. Oh, and there's no correlation between intensity of pain and what suppliments I'm taking.
I'm 43 and my weight flunctuates between 105kg and 120kg, I train for size and strength, and the amount I spend stretching after each session is increasing in the hope that it helps. ... and, no, I can't afford a taxi from the gym just for 10mins or ride a bike or throw money at the problem.
I've tried straps, bandages, KT tape, gels, anti-inflammetaries, rest days....

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Is this shin splints?

R

reeceindie

Nov 7, 2018
Is this shin splints?
That's what I've thought for years, but it seems more than that, most of the info related to SS is to be found on runners forums, which aren't applicable to me, hence why I'd thought I'd try a BB forum , to see if there's advice relative to my training.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
You should probably see a physical therapist for an assessment on this. Might be something like a collapsing arch for which an orthotic could help with.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic